Early Yeti oil change

Yetiflute

My yeti was 1 year old on Saturday and the variable service indicates that a service will not be due for about 1 year. Currently with 9200 miles I decided to let my very local garage change the oil and filter. He considered it a long term wise move as well. I supplied the oil - though I discovered that he did have the proper stuff in stock and he acquired the proper filter from a local agency that supplies the proper one 10p cheaper than a none skoda/VW item. They also told him to change sump plug and washer which they supplied without him asking. Total cost to me - excluding my oil - was £25. Money well spent in my opinion. The mechanic - a good friend of mine - had a good run in my Yeti afterwards as he had never dealt with one before. He was seriously impressed.

Mine too is just a year old with 5500 miles on the clock and started telling me it wanted a service about 14 days ago, it is on variable servicing schedule according to the dealer so I suppose it was my usage that prompted it. Took it in last week and had the service,turbo mod and rear badge replaced so hopefully no more visits for another year or so. Mind you, it was a darn sight more than £25! :)

I read an article in a commercial vehicle magazine earlier this week, it was about the new Iveco Euro 6 compliant Diesel engine, the oil change interval is 150,000 KM ! Yes that is one hundred and fifty thousand kilometres, amazing that oil can survive for so long.

As for the Yeti, mine had the first oil change at 18k and it had its second yesterday at 38k, I never need to top up in between and all is well with the car.

Despite people saying it's over the top, I'm happy to have the oil and filter changed every six months on mine. It's what ive always done to my cars and it's served me well so far! :-)

Despite people saying it's over the top, I'm happy to have the oil and filter changed every six months on mine. It's what ive always done to my cars and it's served me well so far! :-)

I agree about the oil, but not so sure about the filter. I was taught as an apprentice that any filter is at it's most efficient just before it blocks, so I tend to keep the filters till the recommended time.

I agree about the oil.although I do mine yearly not six monthly. But how can the filter be at it's most efficient just before it blocks? Surely it must be 90% done by then, and be most efficient when it's new.

Mine too is just a year old with 5500 miles on the clock and started telling me it wanted a service about 14 days ago, it is on variable servicing schedule according to the dealer so I suppose it was my usage that prompted it. Took it in last week and had the service,turbo mod and rear badge replaced so hopefully no more visits for another year or so. Mind you, it was a darn sight more than £25! :)

Are you sure it's on 'variable' seems more like 'fixed' to me if it showing 'service due' at spot on one year old?

As far as I know heavy usage whilst on variable only drops the mileage needed down to around 12,000 miles but the time will still be counting down from two years.

I'm running Kevin on 'varialble' and treated him to.the luxury of an interim oil change at 9,000 miles/9 months.

1st service is due shortly at 18,600 miles (20 months).

I read an article in a commercial vehicle magazine earlier this week, it was about the new Iveco Euro 6 compliant Diesel engine, the oil change interval is 150,000 KM ! Yes that is one hundred and fifty thousand kilometres, amazing that oil can survive for so long.

And that's on group 3 oil. The thing with those is that they take a massive oil charge and tend to top up a bit, but even so, it is an impressive feat. I'll show my hand and declare that I used to be the European brand manager for Castrol commercial vehicle oils, so very familiar with these vehicles and the oils' capabilities.

I will happily let my car go the full service interval, as I did with my last BMW (18,000 miles between oil changes on a 130i). I also used to run the analytical laboratory for Castrol, and had some oil samples analysed on an ongoing basis. Even after the specified oil change interval, the drained oil was still in good shape.

• Like 1

And that's on group 3 oil. The thing with those is that they take a massive oil charge and tend to top up a bit, but even so, it is an impressive feat. I'll show my hand and declare that I used to be the European brand manager for Castrol commercial vehicle oils, so very familiar with these vehicles and the oils' capabilities.

I will happily let my car go the full service interval, as I did with my last BMW (18,000 miles between oil changes on a 130i). I also used to run the analytical laboratory for Castrol, and had some oil samples analysed on an ongoing basis. Even after the specified oil change interval, the drained oil was still in good shape.

I remember doing tests for castrol back in the late 80s early 90s on the tractors we used for contracting, worked hard and often running above normal operating temp , normal service was oil change every 100 hrs usually once a week filter every 200hrs, after castrol tested the samples and found the oil still ok they told us to run it out to 200hrs, samples tested still ok, we even ran a older one with around 10,000hrs on it and dew to be changed out to 400hrs, sample tested was still good and that was on mineral oil.

As the yeti uses a synthetic oil built for long life and I only use the recommended oil it is set to variable,

I purchased a brand new KTM off road competition bike around 2006 and if I recall correctly, the manual stipulated an oil change every 10 hours. This was a 4 stroker (easy BobDog). So, after every other comp (with a little training in between), it was new oils and filter. It was no more than a litre of oil in the thing, but the oil was rather dirty after just that amount of time! This was inline with a lot of other serviceable items on the thing, Forks service every year, Swing arm bushings yearly and wheel bearings every couple.

Then on the other hand, I visited my uncle about 15 years ago who lives in the US and he'd bought a new Lincoln and he'd told me it did 100,000 miles before it needed an oil change. God knows how, but it hardly seemed to break free of idling speed which may have had something to do with it!

What a world of difference there is in service intervals across all the sectors!

Are you sure it's on 'variable' seems more like 'fixed' to me if it showing 'service due' at spot on one year old?

As far as I know heavy usage whilst on variable only drops the mileage needed down to around 12,000 miles but the time will still be counting down from two years.

Hmmm, think you're right, just checked on maxidot and tells me service due in 367days or 9300 miles. Don't really mind that much as the ex mechanic in me thinks a check over once a year doesn't do any harm. If it starts getting too expensive will get it changed!

Hmmm, think you're right, just checked on maxidot and tells me service due in 367days or 9300 miles. Don't really mind that much as the ex mechanic in me thinks a check over once a year doesn't do any harm. If it starts getting too expensive will get it changed!

That's definitely 'Fixed' regime if, as you say, it was service recently. If you are only doing 5-6,000 miles per annum then this is the regime you should be on any way.

'Variable' regime is really for those of us who do 12-15,000 miles (or more) per annum.

Apologies for deviating from the subject of Yeti's, but as I don't actually own one....... yet! I have to go off piste a bit if I'm to join in.

Not deviation IMHO, comments are relevant to thread of discussion relating to oil changes and intervals between.

Enjoying the wait for your Yeti? Bet you're not? (now this is deviation :giggle: )

But how can the filter be at it's most efficient just before it blocks? Surely it must be 90% done by then, and be most efficient when it's new.

No, as a filter is used the microscopic holes gradually become smaller by the particles it traps, therefore trapping progressively smaller particles. So more efficient near end of life.

BUT if this goes on too long the filter blocks and the bypass opens and allows everything in the oil to flow round the engine.So I stick to recommended intervals for the filter.

No, as a filter is used the microscopic holes gradually become smaller by the particles it traps, therefore trapping progressively smaller particles. So more efficient near end of life.

BUT if this goes on too long the filter blocks and the bypass opens and allows everything in the oil to flow round the engine.So I stick to recommended intervals for the filter.

Very interesting. Id never have thought about it like that! :)

Curiously, I was effectively talked out of an early oil change by my local dealer's service people.

I went in to book in for a first service at around 12K miles (about a year's ownership) because I too feel more comfortable having the bits and pieces checked over at least once a year. But because I was on variable service (so I could get the oil temp showing on maxidot, even though I would have preferred to have been on fixed) we then got into an elaborate discussion of the cost of the fixed vs variable services, the different oil apparently used for these different services, etc. I said OK let's do a fixed service (because the criteria for that would just about have been met at the time I went in), but there was then a reluctance to reset the service type back to variable. I went away, rather confused, to think it over and haven't been back. (Not really had time and it just seemed too much hassle to have the same debate all over again.) I'm at about 14K miles now and still 3-4K short of the first 'scheduled' variable service.

Are we missing a trick here (can't see if it has been posted before)?

The skoda will have the same service consumables fitted at the factory to suit either variable (18,000 miles) or fixed (9,000 miles) service... correct?

So, isn't it a no brainer to leave it as variable service (provided you're not using it as a taxi or hauler which may reduce variable service mileage a fair bit) and then when it comes to service time, pay for a fixed service and have the dealer set the scheduling option accordingly if thats the way you want to go?

It seems a no brainer to me to eek all the mileage available from the factory installed long life oil and when it is then service time, go over to fixed and cheaper services.

I now retreat to my hole and continue the long wait for my velux Yeti :sun:

I came to the same decision around Easter time, the car had to go in for warranty work on the cabin heating system(a duff temp probe), and decided to have the variable service at the same time , about 1500mls early, I was offered the package at that time of £300(?) for the fixed interval service and another(?) which would have been more expensive than sticking with the variable job - no brainer to/for me!!!

salut

But overall fixed isn't cheaper.

In 36k miles I've had 2 services costing less than £250.

What would 3 services at 12k cost me?

I'm not sure people who choose to do additional oil changes are primarily concerned with cost. I look it at as more of an investment than a cost. IMO there's nothing better for modern turbocharged engines than fresh oil and filters (both oil and fuel filters).

My local Skoda dealer offers a fixed service for £129.99 and a variable service for £199.99.

The only difference between the two is the variable service includes the pollen filter, air filter and spark plugs (where fitted) together some some addtional visual checks.

Both services include longlife oil.

Call me simple [You're simple...] but I reckon that to maximise part-exchange values I ought to do what I am told - and since I have faith in Sinclair Skoda I have done that.

What?

Had it serviced, oil changed, brake flooooo-id changed, tyres changed, tyres stored for 6 months, coffee supplied, chat supplied, texts and phone conversations exchanged - and 43000 miles later I have a Yeti that is as good as new, more economical, cleaner, with decent rubber, and the promise of a great change-over valuation soon.

Where's the problem?

Call me simple [You're simple...] but I reckon that to maximise part-exchange values I ought to do what I am told - and since I have faith in Sinclair Skoda I have done that.

What?

Had it serviced, oil changed, brake flooooo-id changed, tyres changed, tyres stored for 6 months, coffee supplied, chat supplied, texts and phone conversations exchanged - and 43000 miles later I have a Yeti that is as good as new, more economical, cleaner, with decent rubber, and the promise of a great change-over valuation soon.

Where's the problem?

Theres no problem with it if thats your choosing but unless Im missing your point, I also have all the above advantages including dealer stamps in the service book etc, just with an engine that see's fresh oil and filters twice as often.

When Ive sold cars on, (including Skoda's to forum members on here), its nearly always been mentioned 'oh and I liked the fact that you had the oil changed six monthly/more regularly... :)

One of my trips this year will be around 5000 miles - I just feel happier knowing Im setting off with fresh oil in the block just a month beforehand - maybe im a little OCD on this but it makes me happier and Ive never experienced a downside from doing it. :)

• Like 1