Best non performance mods

There is a lot of talk on here about performance enhancing mods and some members have gone to extremes, which is great as they generally give really detailed reviews and project updates. What I am looking at is the other mods people have done which they feel are of benefit and may get overlooked as unimportant or not worthwhile.

To start the ball rolling I have the following:

Sunglass Holder - did it as an after getting the car as found my sunglasses were flying around when not in use. Very very simple mod which is really effective. The holder comes all padded and sprung loaded and for about 20 quid was well worthwhile.

Bluetooth retrofit - initially didn't think this necessary as I have never had it and always relied on an ear piece or just ignoring the phone. After we changed the wife's car, it came as standard with bluetooth and began to appreciate it so have now retro fitted a unit which works with the Swing unit (or Columbus if you have it). Fairly simple fit, just a bit fiddly.

MFSW with flappy paddles.

Wood effect trim to dash.

LED interior lights.

BlackVue DR400HD cameras front. & rear.

Keep the car polished, even if it is filthy so easy to clean bird p00 off.

CB radio for when driving off road with friends.

Lots of VCDS changes.

That will do for starters.

There is the economy :cough: remap. Well I don't drive fast anymore and it gives better economy.

Replaced all the interior bulbs with white LEDs (except the glovebox).

Added black sill guards to all four doors - there were a few light surface scratches on the driver's door sill and these will avoid any more.

Briskoda sticker in the back window :)

Chrome strip on dash and, for the moment, on centre console

Sun glass holder to replace the blanking plate

Gear knob and gaiter off the elegance/se trim

colour coded centre console hand brake piece and headunit trim (looking to do the steering column, air vents, and A pillars)

colour coded front grille vents (with chrome trim added)

colour coded eye brows with fake shadow

colour coded side door strips

door sill protection pieces (looking to add chrome trim)

mud flaps with skoda badges on rear flaps (may replace with red reflectors)

sun shades

parcel self hole strengtheners

will be colour coding or retrimming a few other bits (new tweeter pods to mount tweeters on A pillars, a control panel to move the Aux in from centre console to the dash below headunit)

edit: future mods: remove some plastic on the door cards where the speakers are to let more sound through, make myelf a sun strip, extra deadening on doors (all bought a year ago ready to fit), looking to make a lower front grile out of balsa wood, fitting cycle led's as day light running lists, probably the pocket torches or modyfy some bicycle lights and wire an on/off switch, will be raising the parcel shelf at some point, chrome surround on front lower centre grille, darkened headlights/rear lights, debadging the fabia badge, may add wind deflectors (if i can find some for free or cheap)

Edited by fabia55

If you don't have one, Armrest.

it gets in the way of the hand brake. unless on a long motorway trip, i see it as an inconvenience.

I'f i have time i'd turn that area into some storage space instead

Sunglass Holder - did it as an after getting the car as found my sunglasses were flying around when not in use. Very very simple mod which is really effective. The holder comes all padded and sprung loaded and for about 20 quid was well worthwhile.

i paid about £13-£14 quid, as with all the extras things have gone up in price a lot, the side strips for example, i paid £27 brand new from the dealers about 18 months ago, now it's about £50 fitted, same for everything else.

What bulbs did you use please mate? And how did you remove the front interior light casing?

Hmmm, can't remember exactly as it was a while ago. Looking on my ebay archive it looks like I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330612109877 for the front and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270763543894 for the back plus maybe the front middle?

To remove the front casing I inserted a very very thin screwdriver blade between the roof lining and the clear plastic at the front (nearest th windscreen) and gently prised it until I could get my fingers underneath. It's a friction fit so it's just a case of getting purchase then easing it out.

For the back it was another case of prising the edge away from the roof lining and then jiggling towards the back of the car to disengage the metal spring-like hooks. Be careful though as the metal frame on mine went into the roof and I had to fish it out and reattach it before putting the light back in.

• Like 1

Short genuine vw aerial

Internal LEDs

Number plate LEDs

Clay bar and Wax

I am getting on a bit......

Remote trunk opening

Stubby aerial

Rear parking sensors

Phillips X-treme Vision headlights

Glasses holder

Chrome trunk strip

Car phone holder

Osram Diadem indicator bulbs

Lighting for rear seats

Rubber boot & foot mats

Mudflaps

Rear side window sunblinds

Black sill covers

Trunk hooks and shelfs

LED interior lighting

Some VCDS tweaks

Full nano protection (paint, wheels, windscreen, textiles, black trim)

Hood damper (in action)

Bumper protection strip (ordered)

Edited by irfant