Watches

stever750

Superb, that's what I wanted to hear, I'll be treating myself to one for Christmas.

All you have to do is pick the model you like good luck with that lol choices choices hence I have a fair few watches :oops:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been busy the last couple of days.

Just bought this…

809265097military_black_01.jpg

A Steinhart "Military automatic black"

and then I decided I NEEDED an automatic chronograph as well…

Breitling2.jpg

A Breitling Windrider Chronomat from 1994, but I'm going to put it on a brown leather pilot strap, if anyone's got any good strap recommendations?

Well, I turned 40 this year and all I got from the wife and kids was a Wales mug and a postcard of the Welsh rugby team playing at the Millenium Stadium?!?

I'm not Welsh and I don't even like rugby, my job just happened to take us to the Celtic Manor Resort in Newport for my birthday and that was what my 5-year-old chose for me :wonder:

So I thought I'd buy me own present(s) :giggle:

This is my latest aquisition, a Seiko Orange Monster on a Shark mesh bracelet.

IMG-20121010-00019.jpg

It was an orange monster that started it all off for me and got my real interest in watches going cracking watch but I hate to think how much I've spent because of what that watch started lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran through similar thinking recently - I had always wanted a "nice" watch (Omega like Bond of course), but budget dictated that was not to be.

I was left some money, so had a holiday and a Christopher Ward dive watch. looks like a Rolex/Omega, has proved indestructable so far ("rough" jopb, 2 kids, 2 house moves, DIY, wear it 24/7).

They offer good service (CW360) and were brilliant to deal with. I'd recommend them in a heart beat and sadly won't get commission... ;-)

Snap!

My 'wanted a nice watch' was a TAG Heuer and I was aiming for a Monaco but, following been left some money, I was in the position of being able to afford one; having had a succession of regular Seikos over the years.

However, I read about Christopher Ward on EVO's monthly watch page, liked them, and their ethos, so did some more digging.

Simply; Christopher Ward only sell direct via their website or phone/mail order so no retailers demanding profits and margins! I read some reviews all of which were favourable.

So at the end of May I jumped in and bought 2 watches for me, a C9 Harrison Chrono (ltd edition of 250) and a C11 MkII Black Manta, as photo'd below, and one for my wife, a Matisse; for less than half the price of a TAG Heuer Monaco.

Since then I've added a C40 Speedhawk (chunkier, rugged sporty watch for weekend wear) bought on e-bay and a newly released W11 Emilia (similar to my C11) for my wife. I've now been told to 'stop; no more watches' by SWMBO but there's always next year.

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Got my Seiko auto through from Fleabay.

It's a 7009 mechanism and my first auto. Are autos quite noisy?

Define sound of a screw rolling round a can. Quick google seems to say this is normal and I can only hear it if my ear is near it or I'm deliberately shaking my wrist but how loud is normal?

Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Very smart, but a bit small.

This is the orange monster you want :)Sorry for small pic!! Its a 1967 Orange face divers with internal bezel, it was my dads and my grandad gave it to him when i was born and my dad gave it to me on my 21st :)

Theres also four omega's, two limited edtion sector's, a bell & ross and a fortis and a couple of rolex's in there for good measure :)

post-3954-0-30815300-1352894621_thumb.jpg

This is the orange monster you want :)Sorry for small pic!! Its a 1967 Orange face divers with internal bezel, it was my dads and my grandad gave it to him when i was born and my dad gave it to me on my 21st :)

Theres also four omega's, two limited edtion sector's, a bell & ross and a fortis and a couple of rolex's in there for good measure :)

That's a stunning collection you have there show us some better pics when you get chance, lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently trying to convince myself that I don't need to buy an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean to celebrate my business hitting 1 year old next April...and failing :giggle:

Looking at the one with black face, liquid metal bezel, and orange 12, 6 & 9 as my company logo is orange and black.

Might try and settle for a second hand Seamaster 300 Titanium if I can find one, but the thought of getting one new does appeal...

I have also been offered one for 20% off which is a huge chunk.

• Like 2

I am currently trying to convince myself that I don't need to buy an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean to celebrate my business hitting 1 year old next April...and failing :giggle:

Looking at the one with black face, liquid metal bezel, and orange 12, 6 & 9 as my company logo is orange and black.

Might try and settle for a second hand Seamaster 300 Titanium if I can find one, but the thought of getting one new does appeal...

You do need to buy it its the law you have to if you don't buy one you'll catch VD lol I bought my seadweller as my celebration of completing 1 year in business now everyday it reminds that hard work does pay off because I certainly wouldn't be wearing one if I'd stayed working for someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

that is the one to have!

get it

as Mr Royce of Rolls Royce said "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

• Like 2

Just bought this…

Breitling2.jpg

A Breitling Windrider Chronomat from 1994, but I'm going to put it on a brown leather pilot strap, if anyone's got any good strap recommendations?

Well, I turned 40 this year and all I got from the wife and kids was a Wales mug and a postcard of the Welsh rugby team playing at the Millenium Stadium?!?

I'm not Welsh and I don't even like rugby, my job just happened to take us to the Celtic Manor Resort in Newport for my birthday and that was what my 5-year-old chose for me :wonder:

Take a look at Hirch straps - amazon do the whole range from £25 ish to £40 or so. Different leather finishes, and colours, even a carbon fibre effect.

• Like 1

Just bought this…

Breitling2.jpg

The best leather straps I've ever used bar none and I've tried all the big makes and names and paid much much more

http://www.toshi-straps.co.uk/

N connection to the guy other than being an extremely happy customer.

• Like 1

This was my first foray into the world of decent watches, a Raymond Weil Don Giovani Chronograph. It's for best and needs a lot of TLC. So much so that its stopped working now and needs a service. I rarely wear this one as I'm quite precious about it.

photonov15102739.jpg

And here's the daddy, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph in shocking orange. Love this watch, wear it whenever I'm not at work. It gets scuffed and scratched and knocked about but just keeps going. I've not had it serviced yet but probably could do with it as the clasp is getting a bit loose. It's so heavy it gives me strain in me arm if I wear it for a few days. Haha.

photonov15102919.jpg

And here's my daily driver. G Shock Mudman Solar / Radio. Solar powered and gets time updates from atomic clock somewhere. It has a rally stage timer and its starting to get condensation inside it!

photonov15102644.jpg

Edited by Royston

Got my Seiko auto through from Fleabay.

It's a 7009 mechanism and my first auto. Are autos quite noisy?

Define sound of a screw rolling round a can. Quick google seems to say this is normal and I can only hear it if my ear is near it or I'm deliberately shaking my wrist but how loud is normal?

Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Very smart, but a bit small.

Its a sort of whirring noise?

I had a Seiko Kinetic that used an automatic movement to charge the 'battery' for a quartz movement; it was quite noisy.

My 3 Christopher Ward automatics are all 'noisy' to differing degrees, but way quieter than my Seiko was.

On the subject of Christopher Wards; my current watch to drool over and desire, but suspect I will never own, is their current Flagship model;-

C900HarrisonSinglePusherChronographUSA.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but it has a certain English Antique elegance to the style, reminiscent of an 18th Century pocket watch.

Its a sort of whirring noise?

I had a Seiko Kinetic that used an automatic movement to charge the 'battery' for a quartz movement; it was quite noisy.

My 3 Christopher Ward automatics are all 'noisy' to differing degrees, but way quieter than my Seiko was.

Sounds very much like a ball bearing rolling round the bottom a can. I've done a bit of Google and it seems to be pretty normal. It's got a 7009 caliber which is quite old. I seem to have picked up a bit of vintage watch accidentally. It's so clean I'd never have been able to tell it was made in 1985; keeping good time too. Finding the automatic mechanism strangely alluring. Can't see me getting another quartz now.

• Like 1