Ping on ignition?

Duck_Pond

I can't seem to see what causes this, and it doesn't always happen. Occasionally in the morning when I turn the key to get the ignition on, to get the glow plug on, I hear a ping sound from the dash. No additional lights or warning messages, so I am wondering what it might be?

It's not the Bluetooth thing, as that comes later when the phone syncs to it. If it happened every time I could understand, but this seem to ping every so often, usually first time I get in, in the morning.

Any ideas?

No Yeti in its right mind would choose to hide under my front seat, unless it had no sense of smell :D

I'll try buckling up before turning the key, and see if that stops it.

Not that - I've only let it go down to the warning light and red zone once, to see what sort of range it gives if stretched and garages are few and far between, like on the Scottish Isles... I wonder how dear diesel is on Mull at the mo. Was horrendous last year.

Trying to think of possibilities ... is it cold (4 degrees or less) in which case you'll get a ping and a snowflake? I guess that's unlikely at this time of year. Bulb out, washer bottle needs filling? But you say there's no warning message - so those are unlikely too. Mmmm.

I have noticed this too, although never done anything about it as it's normally first thing in the morning. No warning lights show up, full tank of diesel and temperature well above 4 centigrade.

I thought at first that it may be to do with the service indicator but that is presently showing 1300 miles according to Maxidot. It's not the Bluetooth or anything else I can think of.

Be interesting to know the answer though, even if it is something mundane and/or boring.

It happens on mine also, not all the time though. It did it on Monday and as with the others only on first start, no warnings, low levels etc. It hasn't done it since Monday it's a purely random occurance. Would be nice to find out what causes it.

Oi! My corner is getting awfully crowded.

And I think I know why - I'm convinced the corner is the one in my garage with the rapidly diminishing Woodfordes homebrew - I'm not drinking it *that* quickly :rofl:

Still, keeping on topic I think having a Machine that goes Ping is in keeping with the Yeti's Monty Python links -

OK - don't need a coat - the corner's close enough :rock:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Perhaps an update on this. It still occurs occasionally and without pattern, yet the other day I spotted a message, albeit briefly to accompany it. Said "ESP Fault".

Only showed for a couple of seconds, and on starting the car again, no ping and no message. I've searched this site (and others) and the best info I can find is that either the battery is starting to fade or the car's software needs updating.

I took it to a VAG mechanic friend last night who plugged in his diagnosis tool into the port under the steering wheel, and he couldn't find any record of a fault logged in the car's data storage.

So I might have a chat to a local Skoda dealer about updating the software and if it costs much to do so.

Edited by Duck_Pond

Yep, I have had the same thing, including the ESP fault message which goes if you switch off and start again and isn't recorded as a fault code. I wondered whether it was due to me turning the key very quickly without letting the car go through its set of system checks? So before the lights go off on the dash board (insert key and turn straight to "start", with no hold at position 1) I haven't had time to check it out and try to repeat the "ping".

David

For a dealer to analyze the fault using the car's computer, the fault needs to have time to be identified and recorded. So if you see the fault, and correct it yourself (by turning off & on again) the fault wont be reported and as far as the diagnostic system is concerned, doesn't exist because it's not in the memory. The memory also only records data from the last 30(or so) start-ups. So (as I've been finding with my Auto headlights failure at startup) the dealer cannot find a fault if the memory has cleared itself.

However, now I've found out how to replicate the problem, my car's going back in for attention in a few days.

In the case of my lights, with the switch on Auto, turning the ignition key straight to start the engine without pausing at position 1, the o/s headlight fails to light up, and after about 50yds driving, the fault light comes on. Turn H/lights to sidelights only & back to Auto cures the fault, but if the fault light stays on until you next turn off the ignition.

So, I reckon a pulse must be being sent through the canbus when I start the engine "too quickly", that confuses the headlight module. Does this sounds like what's happening with Duck Pond & Dave B's ESP fault?.

Interesting John H, I was told by the dealer (when demoing this car and other VW group cars infact) to let the car finish doing its checks before starting. Only a couple of seconds mind and on my Audi A2 the dash board displays "OK" to tell you everything if fine to start the car!! I haven't got cheap access to VCDS to check, so I am unlikely to ever get to the bottom of it. There is certainly nothing wrong with the ESP since it was serviced last month (at Derek Slack Skoda in M'boro) and there was nothing to report. A couple of seconds wait isn't very much in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks,

David

It's probably only something that we petrol-heads may experience as those forumites with Diesels would have to wait anyway whilst the glow plugs warm up!

The only time I have had the ping when turning the ignition on is when I pushed the unlock button more than twice by accident, but no ESP fault light :wonder: