Rapid - first drives!

The interior is nice, I prefer the dark interior with the chrome bits though to the ivory dash.

Auto.cz report that the handling and stability is good thanks to long wheelbase and wider rear track (just like the Roomster)

I believe the '5th' engine is a detuned 1.2TSI (75BHP) so the lineup will be:

1.2 HTP 75BHP

1.2TSI 75BHP

1.2TSI 85BHP

1.2TSI 105BHP

1.4TSI 122BHP

1.6TDI 90BHP

1.6TDI 105 BHP

All with 5 speed boxes except 7 speed DSG on the 1.4TSI.

They seem to have done well on fuel consumption and emissions - the Greentec version of the 1.2TSI will emit only 114g/km CO2.

Technical data: http://www.auto.cz/s...cke-udaje-67807

6 speed manual on 105TSI.

HTP engine surprisinly 'fast' (the car weighs about 140kg less than the Octy1 apparantly)

The 1.4TSI engine is also now manufactured in Mlada Boleslav.

The "5th" engine was actually 1.6 16v petrol which is only for non-EU markets.

Edited by OctaviaT81

The rapid looks very good in red :love: the interior looks very good i do like dark interiors. :happy: very happy there a 1.4 TSI with DSG i would of liked the 1.4 TSI 160 but you can not have it all :( the engine & gearbox line up is good it sound and looks like a very good car but we have to see what the standard equipment is like and what factory fitted optional equipment you can have

Is it just me, but does it look a bit like a small version of an early Vectra or other repmobile?

Rapid might be a reference to how they rushed this design......

Must say I'm underwhelmed, but it may grow on me.

But then again I thought the latest Scirroco was fantastic when it first came out, now I look at them and think how stupid it looks.

Well now I've seen the finish of the interior, I'm not so sure whether I like it or not.

To me the interior looks like a clear step up in quality and design from the Fabia, which is exactly what you expect.

I actually think Skoda are quite clever in how they position their vehicles which are of a similar size - for example the Roomster/Yeti which are virtually identical in length but pitched completely differently in terms of price and quality. And now this and the Octavia 3 (which will be bigger but not that much I suspect) but will get the posher equipment, bigger engines, plusher interior e.t.c.

To me the interior looks like a clear step up in quality and design from the Fabia, which is exactly what you expect.

Agree, looking at the interior photos it's quite clear that much of the driver equipment is Fabia sourced, however better packaged. Dash design appears to borrow ideas from both the Superb and Yeti; the centre console arrangement is instantly recognisable being a Yeti owner with the 'bank' of square switches below the climate control.

TP

Saw photos for the Rapid first time today. I feel decidely underwhelmed by its outside looks but the the interior looks very smart. As others have said, the car looks good in red. Especially as red is my colour......

Hasnt got a very good write up in Autocar regarding the ride, but they may be a pre production example.

Rapid is front cover of the new Whatcar magazine today, with some more new photos inside.

They point out that it will have more space than a Golf or Focus for mid-spec Fiesta money.

Saw photos for the Rapid first time today. I feel decidely underwhelmed by its outside looks but the the interior looks very smart. As others have said, the car looks good in red. Especially as red is my colour......

Hasnt got a very good write up in Autocar regarding the ride, but they may be a pre production example.

I've found that unless it's a posh car Autocar usually looks down on it with great disdain. So I wouldn't worry about what it says too much.

Interior looks good and well laid out, functional.

Thought the exterior was good from first few pics I saw, namely the Rapid in white, however I am now undecided since seeing it in another colour.

Bit worried about this talk of wind noise when driving :giggle: . Hopefully the sound proofing has been improved over the Octavia.

Edited by darrenw

Bit worried about this talk of wind noise when driving :giggle: . Hopefully the sound proofing has been improved over the Octavia.

Doubt it, it'll be similar to the Fabia/Roomster I imagine, perhaps slightly better. It's hardly catastrophic on the Fabia anyway TBH.

I love the new grill and the way the headlamps integrate with it smoothly. Im getting bored with all these new designs with lumps and bumps all over, and pointless design cues. This Rapid is refreshingly smart, and in my opinion far more attractive than the Octavia which looks frumpy now. I reckon the estate will look brilliant, and maybe the next Roomster will be similar at the front.

Only negatives for me, needs the 2 tone interior as too drab in all black and that bloody naff new badge. Why they changed it is beyond me, the current one is much classier.

It's a shame that the most powerful engine is only available with DSG, I took a furby vRS out for an extended test drive last year and couldn't live with the lag on pulling away from stationary. I,ve heard that this has since been improved by a software update can anyone confirm this? Also any idea if the Rapid DSG will come with paddles?

Lag?

You might have been driving wrongly

Hi Chris

I don't know how I could have been driving it wrongly I pressed the accelerator to pull away and there was a distinct lag before it did so!

The lag seems to be an issue on the DSG with the twin charge engine and software has improved it. Some don't even notice it.

There's no lag on my 2.0CR DSG or 1.2 TSi DSG.

If the Rapid isn't too firm as the reviews suggest we will definately spec it with a DSG box.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

A 1.4TSi DSG will replace our Fabia if it's the new engine with cylinder deactivation.

Cheers

Lee

Rapid won't get cylinder de-activation (at least not yet) but the combined MPG is as follows:

1.2 HTP 75BHP: 46.3MPG

1.2 TSI 85BHP: 55.4MPG

1.2 TSI 105BHP: 52.3MPG

1.4 TSI 122BHP: 48.7MPG

1.6TDI 90BHP: 67.2MPG

1.6TDI 90BHP (DSG): 65.7MPG

1.6TDI 105BHP: 64.2MPG

These are all similar to the Fabia so pretty good for a bigger car IMO.