VRs fuel economy

I managed 40.5mpg on a steady run up the A3 this morning which impressed me considerably. I was probably going no quicker than an indicated 75 - 80 at most (Officer) and 40-50 once I reached the suburbs of SW London.

I've got close to the magic 40 mark before but never quite cracked it.

It does show what's possible at a steady average speed & without too much acceleration anyway.

If I drive it in a more, how should we say, spirited fashion :giggle:, it's usually in the high 20s/early 30s.

Still pretty good considering, mind..

Oh, and if it counts I use a combination of Shell V-Power, Tescos 99 RON stuff or Sainsbury's Super.

Edited by ethel

I'm finding I get the best fuel economy on lower speed roads where I can keep a constant speed, by using a higher than normal gear and feathering the accelerator - thanks partly to the low-down torque of this car (petrol vRS). Unless I need to accelerate swiftly, 5th while "cruising" at 30mph, 6th from 40mph (ie around 1500rpm) - and quite a bit of block changing. Surprisingly hard work though, and stop-start would cause the biggest reduction in MPG. I would normally get 30-35 on this sort of journey but have yet to see 40 on any trip!

I'm quite impressed with the economy of mine. I do 18 miles a day each way to work - half country road and half town and get over 40mpg if I stick to the speed limits (which obviously we all do!!). I think a lot of it is to do with being smooth and anticapting traffic etc - ie coast down to roundabouts whilst still in gear and not putting it into neutral. I drove from Leman back to Glasgow the other week - 4 people and the boot filled to the roof, sat cruise control at 85 with the odd blast into three figures and worked out the average to be 33mpg! Don't think thats to bad - mine is also remapped.

Keith - yes it's a PD170.

I also see better economy on A/B roads.

Looks like the economy of your petrol's is pretty good unless provoked.

Keith - yes it's a PD170.

I also see better economy on A/B roads.

Looks like the economy of your petrol's is pretty good unless provoked.

I've got a pd 170, and I'm averaging 45ish mpg, i see that you've had yours mapped and dpf removed, how much different is your car now to drive and what mpg's are you getting as I'm thinking of having my vrs done.

06 tfsi stage 1 shark remap.

From Surrey to Wales, evo triangle, road from Bala, to Llandudno and back home.

Average 35mpg. 70 on motorways and enjoyed the roads of Wales.plenty of time in 3Rd and high revs

Over70 kills economy.

On more normal driving for us it's 30ish average

Mine is a killer in town at around 22-25. London traffic!!! Got the magic 40 on a run to eastbourne but the concentration nearly killed me. Much better to drive it like its supposed to be and get around 35 on a long motorway run.

• Like 1

Just updated my speadsheet this morning. My petrol VRS has an overall average (on 98 RON or better, i.e. Shell V-Power or Tesco Momentum) of 33.53 mpg ((s)miles per gallon).

This is commuting into West London area from semi-rural Berkshire and a bit of back lane fun.

I think that this is excellent, especially when compared to my 2005 B6 Audi A4 2.0 TDi, which averaged 41 mpg under identical conditions, and no smiles at all.

• 3 weeks later...