Oil consumption (confused)

My car has had the oil consumption test done already and the dealer said its fine but I think it's using to much. I filled the oil to the correct level and checked after 300 miles and 90c and it dint register on the dipstick! Is this right?

My car has had the oil consumption test done already and the dealer said its fine but I think it's using to much. I filled the oil to the correct level and checked after 300 miles and 90c and it dint register on the dipstick! Is this right?

Hi Fletch

as you can see I have the Mk1 but I never have to put oil in between services (I check on a regular basis)We don't do a massive amount of miles (9000 per year) In fact we have two other vehicles in the household and they are the same, no oil top-ups between services.

You say it is using that much over 300 miles, there must be some evidence of where its going ! Oil on the floor where parked, ors blue smoke out of exhaust !

Just for info, you should check oil when cold on a flat surface, not when warm and just after running

Radiotwo

There are loads of posts on this subject, i would ask dealer to do another test as as half a ltr every 100miles to way tooo much, if you are sure you have done everything correctly then go to dealer and if nothing from them phone skoda and tell them and they should be able to resolve your problems

I got told by a dealer in south east of england that the tubro sits in oil and has like it own wee sump, so could use tiny amounts of oil as far as i can make out this type of turbo was used in a few cars years back, and the idea is it helps with fuel economy etc.

Also a supercharger (not saying on the fabia) have been known to use oil as well

But the main problem i beleive to be the piston rings.

Any history on car?? are you the 1st owner? there were a batch of bad engines but cant remember engine codes but im sure either sum1 will find it and reply or have a dig about in the topics yaself shouldnt be too difficult to find as these topics are common on fabia 2 section :p hehe

Well it should have had update on ecu i think as many ealier ones had. Was oil consumption test done on your ownership? I would just get on the phone to skoda and see if they can help you out

I ask about the ecu update and they said it dosent need one but watched them plug my car in when it was for its service after I asked them, yes the consumption test was done under my owner ship. It is a 2011 reg so maybe got a dodgy one

Great cars and there is no need to go through lots of oil or lots of running back and fore to a dealer.

Best to not let them mess you about once they have confirmed now that its using too much oil.

(that pretty much certain if the car was checked with hot oil and correctly by the dip stick as being at maximum)

Have you had a look back through the last 6 pages or so yet in this section on the 'Oil consumption posts', it might well paint a better picture for you.

Are you checking as per the Owners Manual?

you might have missed this thread, and it may help some.

http://www.briskoda....64-oil-question

Do not let the Dealership or Skoda UK mess you about for too long,

they know the problem and they know what needs done.

I would suggest,

Leave your car and get a courtesy car untill they Repair yours under warranty.

There is a recent thread by an ex vRS owner in the 'Genera Chat' section today on a vRS replacement, that might interest you.

http://www.briskoda....a-customer-care

george

Edited by sk4gw

Ye u have had a look at all the post regarding oil consumption, I like my car and the looks and comments I get are really good, I won't let the dealer take the mickey because I have been thru this with a 59 reg fiesta a got that was faulty from day one so I just refussed it after they could not fix the recurring proplem with it and got a new one so this is not new to me lol

i know you'll know this already but as its been mentioned above and nobody corrected it, you check the oil when its at NORMAL operating temperature

this goes against everything we've been used to but for the vrs thats what you do, says so in the manual too

i myself am waiting on Slowda UK getting back to me, its been over a month now (since THEY got involved). i get regular phone calls to say their looking into it but im getting more than a bit miffed now that im still no further forward. the garage has said its out of their hands now but again i feel they should be chasing this up, afterall i bought the car from them no Slowda UK. Its the usual case of once they get your money they couldnt give a stuff. Overall this has gone on now for well over 4 months and just isnt right. Trouble with me is ill blow my top soon which won't do me any favours, i can see me selling the car soon if its not sorted as im losing confidence in the whole car

Incase of any doubt,we need to know exactly what Skoda/VAG consider as, 'normal operating temperatures',

Why did they not just say or explain?

I consider it as,

'Normal operating temperatures' for the engine oil of a vRS would be around 88 degrees to 90 degrees celcius in the UK.

The Engine coolant might be at 90 degrees within a few minutes of running, but 5 miles and the oil might be at 50 degrees,

possibly after 10-15 miles you might have the Oil at 88 degrees,

I asume that thats the Temperature that Skoda/VAG mean before stopping on the level and allowing to cool before Checking the oil level.

I am not saying its what they mean, but surely 50 degrees celcius is not 'Normal operating Temperatures, just a car warming up.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Just for info, you should check oil when cold on a flat surface, not when warm and just after running

Radiotwo

No, manual says hot, on level surface after standing for a few minutes. This makes a big difference in readings.

Tony

No, manual says hot, on level surface after standing for a few minutes. This makes a big difference in readings.

Tony

From what you say,the conclusion is that the oil volume expands significantly when hot...if so,that's a new one on me.

Would it not be better to check the level every morning before the engine has even been started?...all the oil has then drained back into the sump overnight,and you are definitely going to have total consistency with readings,and any topping up to be done at the same time?

Edited by XK140

From what you say,the conclusion is that the oil volume expands significantly when hot...if so,that's a new one on me.

Would it not be better to check the level every morning before the engine has even been started?...all the oil has then drained back into the sump overnight,and you are definitely going to have total consistency with readings,and any topping up to be done at the same time?

No you WILL over fill if done when cold. EG If you top up to the safe max level ( B ), once warm it WILL be overfilled!!

Yes ur right XK140 regarding consistancy, but it's important that ppl realise that filling to max when cold could damage stuff!

I check my oil level when cold now,

but thats after checking previously what the dipstick shows after running fully hot and stopped and left a few minutes then checked as being correct.

The when it was fully cold i check where that level was.

Repeated a couple of times & feel i now know the cold mark on the stick, so before setting off on a trip i check it if it was no checked when hot from getting home the night before.

It is a very misleading stick in my opinion a its amazing the little difference on the stick.

I have run 3 different 5w 30 oils now and the one i run now shows a slight difference at cold from the 2 previous oils, but the 3 all showed the same 'Level' on the stick when hot.

george

What have VAG done to the awful VRS.Oil consumption,pistons and rings replacement and engine changes in a new car?

I will never own one of these period.Bring back the PD130!!

Mind you the Monte Carlo diesel is very tempting.Very lively CR engine too and great looks.

Shame on you SUK for totally screwing up the VRS!!

You might be right, then there is those 3 little letters,

not vRS.

'DPF', (Diesel Particulate Filter),

The future might not be so bright for owners of Diesels when you have to factor in those letters to any car fitted with one

in 3 or more years. Or even someone that is a mostly a town or short journey driver now.

george

Then there is us with new cars who don't understand what the hell is going on. I'm checking my oil ridiculously frequently just in case of a change but since the service 2k+ ago it's barely moved.

These may be a daft questions but i'm really trying to get my head around why some VRSs have issues and others don't.

Before/when the issues started did you have a yellow warning light for low oil appear?

Do people with issues only have problems if they drive hard?

Would you always take your car over 4k revs on a normal journey?

Are you only going over 4k when the car hits above 80 oil temp?

If you potter around in D does that effect your consumption?

Just to be clear i'm not trying to say 'You have driven your car incorrectly and it's broken'. I'm a big believer in cars being produced to take account of the driver not the other way around. There's a computer on board for a reason and if the user is doing something the car doesn't like a warning light could easily let you know..