Shadows Entity's MK1 stage 2 + r32 setup

Shadows Entity

Thought I'd start a project thread for my car as I love it to bits and want to make a few modifications here and there....

Little bit about me, my actual name is Alex, I'm 21 and currently work for the National Trust running a tea room at the South Foreland lighthouse which is on the White Cliffs of Dover...

This project will be a slow one I will confess as our baby is due next month and I work for a charity so money is tight so it's just seeing what I can do as and when.

Bought the car a couple of months ago now and absolutely love it, my last car was a 306 d turbo so in comparison this is immense. Had to get a car that was still fun to drive as I love driving but big and safe enough for the little one and this ticked all the boxes.

So this car is going to look respectable and in my opinion tastefully modified... One thing I can't do as it's the family car is make the exhaust any louder as the missus would kill me. Engine noise is fine as with most cars if you drive like an old man it makes barely any noise anyway which I do when she's in the car. Oh and ride hight... last car scraped on everything so had enough of that.

Old stuff

Currently done:

Induction kit
Took spare wheel out (only drive small distances)
DRL
BRISKODA sticker :)

Plans:

Pasty boy badges, retro green on black (paid for)
Chrome grill surround made black.
Fitted rear sun blinds (the clip on ones)
N249 removal (hate the noise...)
Forge 008 + moved to cold side
Miltek sports cat (if it doesn't make it too loud?)
FMIC
Replace the pipe before the air filter with silicone one (whatever it's called)
Remap stage 1 + 2
Alloys in black

This is the advert photo

p113032_6x.jpg

And these are a few I took today at my Lighthouse... shame about the weather

20120712_174649.jpg

20120712_174632.jpg

20120712_174622.jpg

Up to date total modifications that I can think of: 19/05/2014

Engine: potentially 230ish bhp, not rollered yet

Stage 2 remap

FMIC single pass

Custom pipework with Audi tt top charge pipe method

BAM inlet manifold

Phenolic inlet gasket 

Forge 008 diverter valve 

Diverter valve cold side

CAI pipe and filter

Evap delete

N112 delete

N249 delete

SAI delete

2.0 TFSI coil pack and adapters

Oil catch can

Exhaust 3" downpipe into 2.5" Miltek non res

Single mass fly wheel conversion

short shifter

42 draft bushes

R32 front end conversion

AP adjustable coilovers

Neuspeed 25mm farb

Neuspeed 28mm rarb

Audi tt strut brace

Team Dynamics pro race 1.3 anthracite 17"

Custom grill

New badges

Pastyboy front and rear badge

Team Heko wind deflectors

number plate holders

Milotek A&B Carbon fibre pillar trims

Milotek rear bumper diffuser

Black Golf seats

Black Golf carpet

Arm rest

Speaker upgrade

Superb mk1 radio

• Like 2

Nice car mate i have a red one too best colour imo :) and you can do lovely visual mods look at lloyds thread.. Good plans too like your ideas 1 thing tho the 249 makes no noise its a boost valve its the sai and n112 valve that make the noise lol just a heads up still easy enough to remove tho pal if your going to remove them and the 249 do so before your remap so it can all be mapped in as is explained in the thread in the octy1 section (8)

Looks good pal,

Take time and look through the threads and the how to guides, you'll find there is plenty of things that can be done for pennies if money's tight, also keep your eye on the classifieds for bargain's ;)

That's how 99% of the mod's on my old vrs were done and I did all the work myself to save even more £££'s. if you don't mind getting your hands dirty that can save you a fortune.

Don't rush stuff and take your time but most of all enjoy it.

Nice clean example mate, you probably couldn't ask for a better backdrop for some pics! I think most of us on here run on a budget, but as long as you get the enjoyment that's all that counts.

Cheers for the positive comments :) and yea never gonna have mega money to splash on it so always keeping an eye out and saving guides on my favourites for future reference

Bit by bit matey... Bit by bit :)

It looks nice now so will only get nicer :)

• 2 weeks later...

Found a split and by split I mean pretty much separated y piece crankcase breather pipe so getting a catch can now rather than buying a new silicone y piece only to get rid of it later for a catch can...

Thanks again to Rob for his guide Pimp My Skoda!

Would the split pipe have been affecting performance?

Got a Forge Spliter dv for £68 posted :) love ebay... brand new and was sat in this guys garage for a year, has 34mm ends that's probably why no one was looking at it but for that it's worth getting a couple of reducers.

Will put up some pictures when I've fitted it a long with my catch tank, just waiting on some pipe work

Edited by Shadows Entity

• 1 month later...

I have actually done everything I set out to do...... woop :) normally run out of time, weather goes nasty or something goes wrong...

TIP was an absolute ball ache to get on but got there in the end, always ache though after I've been under the car so glad to be sat down :)

Short shifter was dead easy to do, got mine from creation motorsport and took about 5 mins, all you need is a 13mm long reach and some fingers to undo 3 clips

And fly eyed my lights, pretty impressed with the result and didn't take that long either. Dead easy stuff to work with so long as you have some patience and a heat gun/ hair dryer to finish off the edges

I didn't get the 'genuine' stuff though I got this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-HEADLIGHT-TAIL-LIGHT-TINT-VINYL-FILM-FLY-EYE-KIT-MOT-PASS-/230848422800?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bfa36390#ht_3915wt_1397

Seller was really nice as my order was delayed due to a bad delivery so sent me some free CF wrap too

Right pictures....

It's no the tidiest you'll ever see but it works

20120906_140220.jpg

20120906_140213.jpg

And for the lights

20120906_162155.jpg

20120906_175929.jpg

20120906_175936.jpg

• Like 1

Plans for today are to tidy up the engine bay a bit by following Rob's guides

http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/V2Images/ModsEngine/AirSystemRemoval.htm

http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/V2Images/ModsEngine/N249Removal.htm

And a general clean up :)

May also try some cf wrapping if I have the time

• Like 1

Well after the fix the removal of these parts has made the car noticeably better, no SAI drone on start up which always made my car laggy for the 90 secs and with the removal of the two valves it looks a lot roomier in there and my DV makes a slightly different better noise now it's hooked up direct to the inlet manifold... only down side is the EML but i'll get the parts mapped out eventually

• 9 months later...

Well after the MOT failure I set about cleaning up to try and sort the emissions out and gave me a chance to get to know the car a bit better...

Before I started...

20120913_163721-1.jpg

Pancake removed to get a clean

20130615_135607.jpg

Removing the intercooler

20130615_135614.jpg

20130615_135830.jpg

20130615_135848.jpg

20130615_140324.jpg

20130615_140329.jpg

Manky throttle body

20130615_140942.jpg

20130615_140948.jpg

Clean throttle body :)

20130615_141156.jpg

20130615_141200.jpg

20130615_141444.jpg

20130615_152311.jpg

20130615_163736.jpg

I put the stock diverter valve back in place to see if the forge one was leaking boost but it would appear not... got the 008 now anyway

20130615_192621.jpg

Removed the charcoal canister as it always ticked....

20130615_192626.jpg 

20130615_192633.jpg

20130615_192650.jpg

Well that was it for last week, just got chance to upload, also replaced the coolant temperature sensor and first lambda.

Tomorrows job is to fit a new(ish) sports cat that I got off Terkin who I met the other day and was nice enough to try and help me out with finding out what the car was doing with the reader he has.

So according to his gauge the ecu is standard as it was boosting at stock but even on idle it's over fueling... on the plus side my car is 190bhp according to it...

Providing parts turn up tomorrow after i've fitted the cat I'll also be taking the inlet manifold off to check all the surrounding pipework and the thing itself for leaks and degraded pipework to find the route of the problem... Also will be refitting with a phenolic gasket kit for better intake temps 

• Like 1