Early MK2 DSG - Any Good

Really a question for people with an early mk2 Octavia with a DSG box.

2005/2006 cars.

I've heard mixed reviews of them and TBH I've heard more negatives than postitives about the early DSG cars. Of course they only way to know what it's like is to drive one but that doesnt help to give a realistic picture of what it's like long term.

So a few questions if anyone whants to add their experience please:

1. What is your experience of the DSG auto box?

2. What are the best and worst parts of having an early DSG box?

3. Any additional costs (and when) associated with the DSG?

4. Has anyone driven an early DSG compared to a newer DSG car and how did they compare?

Many thanks

Mark

Not driven a new DSG so can not com pare but I have had my 2006 PD140 DSG (6 speed) from new and it is the best gearbox I have ever had. Makes for a really relaxing drive, which in turn makes for a safer drive - more time to concentrate on the road and not having to change gear.

Pros, the box makes totally seamless changes and far quicker than can be done manually - pause for flames. I have had passengers who are totally amazed that there is no sensation of the box changing gear, either up or down - it is really that smooth.

Worst part, but you soon get used to it, can be a slight 'confusion' if approaching a roundabout or junction at slow speed on overrun and then wanting to merge with traffic quickly - the box sometimes can not make up its mind whether it should be in 1st or second leading to a slight hesitation in take off. This is not a problem once you know it might happen and drive accordingly. Alternatively drop the box into manual or sport and the 'problem' does not happen.

I would never buy another car that does not have double clutch box

Extra costs are an Oil and Filter change every 40k miles, no time limit - Skoda confirmed

• Like 1

In my hunt for an Octavia, I test drove one and have to say its a delightful gear box - especially the manual mode. I too was put off by the scare stories, and in a rare fit of pragmatism, I decided not to buy it.

If I was to buy a new Skoda, I would definitely opt for it .

I have a 2006 PD140 DSG and second Octavia5's points - Relaxing drive, seamless quick changes, great fuel economy and if you don't like the way it changes in traffic / roundabouts etc. then just drive it in Manual mode.

The one small gripe I do have with it, is that it's slow to engage reverse gear. This can take you by surprise, especially when manoeuvring on an incline. You just have to remember to utilise the handbrake. 3 point turns and quick parking manoeuvres can be frustrating if you are under pressure from other waiting traffic!

I have a 2006 DSG Octavia and can only echo the comments above. Excellent machines to drive. There is one chap on here from Ireland who has a taxi that has covered over 400,000 kms with a DSG car, I don't think the reliability is really a big problem.

My dad has a 2005 DSG Octavia and his is the same. If anything, his car is smoother to drive than mine, but I put this down to the fact that it lives in a garage and has only covered 19,000 miles over the 7 years (he bought it brand new)

I'd love to try the 1.8 TSI DSG - This would be a smoother combo still (And it's pretty good as it is)

In fact, I wish I bought one when I bought my current car!

Ecellent. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone that's exactley what I wanted to know.

Real word answers from people with the early DSG box.

I'm not a fan of auto's (apart from in traffic jams).

I hate them in the snow and when doing any reverse/3 point turn situations but I can see the benefits and regulary drive an auto so understand the point about not knowing which gear to be in sometimes at roundabouts.

Thanks everyone. I hope this post helps others in the future too.

Snow is more a problem with having poor tyres on the car (I can attest this)

You looking to get one then?

Edited by g_tee

I had an early 2006 DSG 2.0 PD140 Octavia L&K Estate.

I thought the gearbox was great, the gear changes were fine and it was ok on snow. It would have been even better with winter tyres.

I now have a new Yeti with similar DSG gearbox.

There are massive software improvements. When you go down a hill it will automatically change down. When you slow down, it will also automatically changed down. The old 'box did neither.

It will pull higher gears now automatically, but that could be something to do with the engine remap and the CR engine.

It now will pull 5th at 3ph and 6th at 40mph.

Gear changes just as smooth.

The newer cars can have a flappy paddle MFSW retro fitted if you do wish. Not sure about the older ones.

The old box was good. The new box is better.

Everyone has summed it up well. Fantastic gearbox.

As has been said going from Drive to Reverse is quite slow, which makes 3 point turns a bit slower than they might be. I find going into reverse from Park or Neutral quite quick though.

I have a 2006 DSG Octavia and can only echo the comments above. Excellent machines to drive. There is one chap on here from Ireland who has a taxi that has covered over 400,000 kms with a DSG car, I don't think the reliability is really a big problem.

My dad has a 2005 DSG Octavia and his is the same. If anything, his car is smoother to drive than mine, but I put this down to the fact that it lives in a garage and has only covered 19,000 miles over the 7 years (he bought it brand new)

490,000kms and its not a Taxi.....................I'm a sales rep,covering the whole of Ireland. The box has only had a hissy fit once in all of those (hard driven) Kilometres, it got stuck in 1st gear but after a couple of hours rest,it reset itself. It got a DSG service the next day and hasn't missed a beat since.

I had an early 2006 DSG 2.0 PD140 Octavia L&K Estate.

I thought the gearbox was great, the gear changes were fine and it was ok on snow. It would have been even better with winter tyres.

I now have a new Yeti with similar DSG gearbox.

There are massive software improvements. When you go down a hill it will automatically change down. When you slow down, it will also automatically changed down. The old 'box did neither.

It will pull higher gears now automatically, but that could be something to do with the engine remap and the CR engine.

It now will pull 5th at 3ph and 6th at 40mph.

Gear changes just as smooth.

The newer cars can have a flappy paddle MFSW retro fitted if you do wish. Not sure about the older ones.

The old box was good. The new box is better.

Your "old" box should also have changed down when slowing down,to match speed to engine speed.

Your "old" box should also have changed down when slowing down,to match speed to engine speed.

Not in the same way the new one does. The new one gives the car more 'engine braking effect' whereas the old one didn't.

490,000kms and its not a Taxi.....................I'm a sales rep,covering the whole of Ireland. The box has only had a hissy fit once in all of those (hard driven) Kilometres, it got stuck in 1st gear but after a couple of hours rest,it reset itself. It got a DSG service the next day and hasn't missed a beat since.

I do apologise! I saw the mileage and assumed taxi.

My car spends most of its time in 6th gear on motorways, I think this is the reason the box is lasting so long (original clutch pack) I reckon the constant stop start driving of a Taxi might put the box under more pressure and everything else for that matter.That said, my buddy who looks after my car has a few DSG taxis on his books, high milers, and they don't give trouble.

There is however another member on here who is a taxi driver who just got a 1.9 tdi DSG with 160,000 miles on it. I think he plans to see 300,000 miles!

Maybe I was thinking of this one... :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to post the question "what's the higest mileage recorded on a DSG Octavia" but it seems to have been well and truely answered in this thread.

My Octavia (taxi) has just passed 300,000km (187,000miles) and spends most of its life in traffic, shifts are getting a bit clunky now but I think this is attributable to a worn inner CV joint rather than any problem with the 'box. I really would love to see another 200k as the car itself is still immaculate inside and out, it would easily pass for something with less than 80k km on it. Long live the DSG!

I'll echo what others have said: my 2006 Leon PD140 DSG is great. 72000 miles, bought at 19K. It's recently had a software upgrade that makes it not quite so keen to change up a little too early. It's still mostly smooth, no problems so far.

There is however another member on here who is a taxi driver who just got a 1.9 tdi DSG with 160,000 miles on it. I think he plans to see 300,000 miles!

Yup this is me, completed its first 10k with nothing other than it snapping an aircon pulley.

The only thing I would say is, they drink the fuel more than the manual box ( I got the car knowing that )

I had been using the car in auto all the time, changed it to manual gear selection and noticed a slight increase on mpg.

G

I've got the dsg on my 1.9TDI estate , seems fine and smooth on the changes with 114k on the clock.

Ive just traded in my old 2.4 auto Audi for this car and it is a much smoother ride.

I had been using the car in auto all the time, changed it to manual gear selection and noticed a slight increase on mpg.

I find this too.

If you drive it really light footedly for economy, the DSG tends to hold on to gears (especially third gear) a couple of hundred RPM too long, hurting economy slightly. I can get slightly better MPG if I change gears manually, but only 2 or 3 MPG at most.