Dash Squeak

Hi All

I have a very loud squeak coming from the dash at the moment. Like a fast rubbing sound when the car is moving. I think I have narrowed this down to the corner on the passengers side. Is this common? Im guessing it will go away after a while as im hoping it's weather/age related. Car only done 5k.

We've got something like that. By coincidence, our 2010 Scout is with the dealer today, having a look at that and a couple of other potential warranty issues.

If they manage to resolve it, I'll let you know.

I've got a squeak coming from the passenger side dash to. If you press near the trim going across front it stops. It's pretty loud too. There is a thread on here somewhere about dash squeaks. I think it mentioned the trim on the end by the door rubbing on the door seal. Mines a 59 plate and full of rattles. My 53 plate Mk 1 I had from new never squeaked like thus.

+1 - Mine also squeaks in the same area, but normally only when it is hot. I think mine is caused by the dash rubbing against the passenger trim near the windscreen. I have pushed a piece of rubber between the two and will see if that stops it. Others have reported the glovebox lid squeaks when closed, but they all seem to be at the passenger side.

It drives me nuts and that in turn drives SWMBO nuts when I ask her to push the dash to try and stop it. Her solution "turn the radio volume up".

Thinking of a new Rapid when they come on the market, so then it will be goodbye squeak.

Thinking of a new Rapid when they come on the market, so then it will be goodbye squeak.

Perhaps only to be replaced with another squeak or squeaks

"Perhaps only to be replaced with another squeak or squeaks"

I have had numerous cars of different makes and all have some squeaks, rattles etc but the Octy has been the best for not having too many issues. If I had to show SWMBO your post the Rapid or any other new car would be definitely out of the question.

If you remove the cover at the end of the dash trim that is visible with the door open, inside you will see a torx screw.

This seems to be what most people attribute the squeak to.

I have it on mine and loosening the screw might remove the squeak. At some point I'll put some fibre washers in to see if that stops it completely.

HTH.

We've got something like that. By coincidence, our 2010 Scout is with the dealer today, having a look at that and a couple of other potential warranty issues.

If they manage to resolve it, I'll let you know.

Apparently they've managed to reduce it by "about 80%", (how they measured that, I'm not quite sure), just by tightening some fasteners, but they're going to replace the glove box catch which they think should eliminate it completely.

Know it sounds strange but try moving the Arm Rest forward one notch. I had a squeak in my VRS and was sure it came from the passenger side but ended up the cause was the arm rest. It only occurs when the arm rest is pushed right to the back.

I hasutherland very same squeak develop when my vrs was 6 months old. Took it back to my local dealer who sorted it by inserting padding to the front near side dashboard. A year later, the car remains squeak free. Sorted cost free under warranty.

Edited by kevberlin

Took it back to my local dealer who sorted it by inserting padding to the front near side dashboard.

Sounds good. Any chance of some pictures to see what they have done?

Sounds good. Any chance of some pictures to see what they have done?

Afraid not. They removed all the dashboard and padded out underneath the front near side corner.

Found this for the area concerned.LHD model shown

S70-0335.png

That is the area where the padding was inserted. A picture saves a 1000 words. Good luck.

I hasutherland very same squeak develop when my vrs was 6 months old. Took it back to my local dealer who sorted it by inserting padding to the front near side dashboard. A year later, the car remains squeak free. Sorted cost free under warranty.

Which dealer was this?

Gone into Winchester today so will see what they say.

I managed to narrow down the squeak to the dash by the corner by the windscreen on the passengers side. When I put pressure down on the dash the squeak stopped.

Found this for the area concerned.LHD model shown

S70-0335.png

This is where ours squeaked, well.... it was inbetween the air-vent surrounding & the lower section of the dash

I shoved a wedge of gaffer-tape in, & pushed it out of sight with a screwdriver.

No more annoying squeaks