Over the moon with the 1.8 TSI

After being "bullied" in to taking a quick holiday in the UK ( I am typing this in drizzly Devon)

Completed the 302 mile journey from East Lancashire to Brixham, Devon in the 1.8 TSI Octavia

2 adults and 1 teenager and a fully loaded boot.

When I could it was a steady 70mph but sometimes was a tad slower due to traffic through Midlands

45.9 MPG for the journey!

Even if the computer is 10% out its still 42mpg, remarkable for a petrol car!

Enjoy Devon. Good avg it shows that if you stick with the traffic at legal speeds that the petrols are relatively frugal. I got around 40 Mpg from Lincoln to Edinburgh and back on the A1 easily staying with or leading the flow of traffic I am sure you will get lots of replies from the diesel lobby also.

still looking for a FL

there is 2009 hatch L&K 1.8 DSG near Plymouth

Murray Skoda Newton Abbot

The Avenue

Newton Abbot

Devon

United Kingdom

TQ12 2DR

After being "bullied" in to taking a quick holiday in the UK ( I am typing this in drizzly Devon)

Completed the 302 mile journey from East Lancashire to Brixham, Devon in the 1.8 TSI Octavia

2 adults and 1 teenager and a fully loaded boot.

When I could it was a steady 70mph but sometimes was a tad slower due to traffic through Midlands

45.9 MPG for the journey!

Even if the computer is 10% out its still 42mpg, remarkable for a petrol car!

Yes been throughly rotten down here today from about lunchtime, I live about 8 miles from Brixham over in Torquay, where in Brixham you staying??

Enjoy it down here we are lucky living in a place like this!

still looking for a FL

there is 2009 hatch L&K 1.8 DSG near Plymouth

Murray Skoda Newton Abbot

The Avenue

Newton Abbot

Devon

United Kingdom

TQ12 2DR

I can have a look if you like, Murray Skoda is my supplying dealer, Newton Abbot is not Plymouth, they have two branches, Newton Abbot is just about 10 mins away.

What was the result ?

Obviously, I would NEVER have done anything like that on a British road, but hypothetically if you took into account the 10% difference in what the speedo says and what the car is actually doing, I reckon the specified top speed in the brochure of 138mph would be pretty attainable. :)

Haha...

Personally never tested the car like that..

More than happy with the pull through the gears and looks from others when they try to zip by and then the standard Octy gives them a fright!

Nothing to prove but Im very happy with the car in all respects, no worrying about DPF, DMF`s or even the ESP (if you dont have the L and K trim )

Oh and no timing belt either...

Surely there must be a draw back??

Hypothetically, it's not as fast as my old, lighter 190bhp MkII Golf G60 though. :)

Yeah, it's nice not having to concern yourself with DMF knocking noises that diesels seem to have, and sweet lord, the timing chain is indeed a wonderous thing!

Has anyone tested the max speed ?

My best attempt so far (on German Autobahn) was 210 kmh (approx 130 mph), but had to give up due to the traffic and bad weather. But it would go farther... :rock:

Great car - if you try a sedate steady cruise at about 58 to 62 mph you can get the mpg read out up to 49, I couldn't quite get it to 50 as I was running into heavier traffic that day. No idea how high an mpg is technically possible.

Even nicer is the way it takes off when you boot it in the lower gears and also not having to get the revs screaming to do it!

Yeah - the 1.8TSi is the best engine available (or not now!!), coupled to the DSG it is even better.

Out this lunchtime on a 35 mile cross country trip A roads but traffic kept speed to 50 or so mph - returned 50.5mpg on the maxidot (reads 2mpg high) and with 50 miles out of a full tank still showed, 535 miles to next refuel :blush: - won't stay like that for long though!

It is quiet, refined with oh so much punch for overtakes - goes from 50 to where-did-my-licence-go in what seems like the blink of an eye. Love it to bits :love: :love:

I drive very reasonably most of the time, but i've got nowhere near those figures on my maxidot!! Best i've gotten is just under mid 40's.

Only seems to work on a non-stop longish run at medium or less speeds! From about mid to high 50s mpg begins to drop off again.

I've got a Superb 1.8TSi with a Shark Performance Remap, KW Springs and some other tweaks, working in Nuremberg in June I was flat out on a downhill stretch of the A3 I briefly saw 152MPH (on the Garmin Zumo 660) and was then put in my place by a GT2 that went past me like I was standing still.

I love the engine, and even in a heavy old thing like the Superb I have regularly seen low 40's over longer trips, my best being my regular 420 mile trips to Inverness (where I am now actually) I have averaged 66mph ish with a best mpg from the trip of 43.9mpg.

All said and done, I didn't buy it for the MPG, and I do love to make it sing when possible.

I'd love a 1.8TSI.

I was toying with this idea: -

L&K, Stage 1 remap. What a sleeper of a car that would make...

Yeah, after having a chipped G60 (standard on that is 160bhp too) that's what I thought I'd do when the warranty ran out (so... now!) and if I got bored. ;)

And as soon as the suspension has any problems from age and whatnot, the next step for that is Koni full adjustables dropped ever so slightly on vRS length springs.

Ohhhhh yeeeahhhh! B)

Always figured I could have all the toys that only come on the L&K AND the power of the vRS at the same time. Best of both worlds!

Edited by blackspaven

I'd love a 1.8TSI.

I was toying with this idea: -

L&K, Stage 1 remap. What a sleeper of a car that would make...

It makes the 1.8 simply awesome. I usually get bored with my cars - not this one though. Had it over 4 years and it still makes me grin when I put my foot down. I've surprised a few VRs drivers in the past.

• Like 1

I drive very reasonably most of the time, but i've got nowhere near those figures on my maxidot!! Best i've gotten is just under mid 40's.

That was exceptional! Enforced gentle driving over a very flat route.

2 yrs, 21,000mile lifetime average MPG (from fill data) is just under 37 mpg.

Drove down the A1/A57 to Lincoln at the weekend - 90 miles each way at a fairly steady 60-75mph - maxidot said 42mpg

When I have some B road fun in S mode or tiptronic mode the maxidot goes as low as 18-19mpg - but it's worth it..

NB the DSG 1.8 is the only model in the range where the standard consumption figures show an improvement in mpg over the manual version. At 70 mph in 7th gear the engine is turning at 2,300 rpm - around the same as my old 1.9TDi in 5th.

It makes the 1.8 simply awesome. I usually get bored with my cars - not this one though. Had it over 4 years and it still makes me grin when I put my foot down. I've surprised a few VRs drivers in the past.

That's it decided then - 1.8TSI will be the next vehicle. I toyed with lots of other ideas, but this one makes most sense. Plenty of usable power, respectable MPG figures, and I love the Octavia. Win all round.

Just need to save up some cash to buy one - will probably wait for the Mk3 now :)