Just got this years car tax reminder.

£125 for both of our cars.

£245 is only £22 a month so less than most mobile phone bills although I do wish potholes were fixed quicker rather than replace the whole stretch and cause major disruptions

How'd you get that?! Mine is the same engine and it's just come in at £215 for next month.

You could be right! I've been on several different sites and they give different answers. The DVLA one calls the car a 1.8 TFSi and does not seem to list anything as 1.8 TSi.

Yes, you are right - it is £215 when checked by registration number. (One of the web sites reckoned £170......I wish!!)

Edited by ednmra

£135.00 for my 2010 1.4TSI Octavia FL.Might just get my scooter back on the road,there again my bus pass cost me nought!!!

Horses for courses comes to mind.You can`t beat the system legally?????

VED is a feckin joke in this country, someone who does 3k pa driving a post 2006 911 has to pay £400+ whereas a rep doing 30k pa in a recent diesel can be paying less than £150...

(I used the 911 as an example as I'm saving up for one - don't give me that crap about affordability, car tax is a rip off and I'm not a banker so £400 is still £400!)

The tax we pay as drivers in this country should go on the roads, nothing else! If they want more revenue, put income tax up.

The biggest scandal is the way it's done, the EU test for measuring CO2 is completely *******s and nothing like real world driving!

Most manufacturers are nowadays designing engines and maps purely to get a low CO2 result disregarding other pollutants, in general, you'll be polluting a lot more than the quoted figures!

Phew, rant over!

You could be right! I've been on several different sites and they give different answers. The DVLA one calls the car a 1.8 TFSi and does not seem to list anything as 1.8 TSi.

Yes, you are right - it is £215 when checked by registration number. (One of the web sites reckoned £170......I wish!!)

Just got the renewal on mine, 2011 1.8TSI Hatch and it is £170. Might be later models are just that little bit more efficient to drop a band?

It apparently goes by CO2 emission.

My log book says 176 which puts it into class I. £215 per year.

If it were 175 it would be class H. £195. Talk about hair-splitting!

You won't be running 185, but feel free to have your car re-tested for CO2 emissions now the remap's on :)

Ye but that's what's funny, it flies the mot emissions test even with the power gain and it's not a penny more! Why do you say it's not 185bhp then? I had a 1.9 cdti 150 Vectra Sri previously remapped to 190 and that was rolling roaded at 188bhp.

Sure, a decent map shouldn't flag up any issues on an emissions test. It might even prove to be no more polluting in CO2 terms than the standard map. It would be a bit extreme to put it through full re-testing to find out though!

185 is optimistic because the standard turbo on the PD140 isn't capable of reliably running at the output. 175 is about as much as you can reasonably expect. If you've got a reliable rolling road figure and print-out at 185 then I'd be concerned about the long-term reliability of your turbo.

Sure, a decent map shouldn't flag up any issues on an emissions test. It might even prove to be no more polluting in CO2 terms than the standard map. It would be a bit extreme to put it through full re-testing to find out though!

185 is optimistic because the standard turbo on the PD140 isn't capable of reliably running at the output. 175 is about as much as you can reasonably expect. If you've got a reliable rolling road figure and print-out at 185 then I'd be concerned about the long-term reliability of your turbo.

All I care about is that it has cheaper tax and insurance, improved economy when driven law abidiningly thanks to more torque and it's quicker than a standard VRs tdi that's about 2-3 grand more expensive to buy. To me it was a no brainer upgrade!

I don't think Wardy was disputing any of that, a PD140 on a Stage 1 (without any other changes (turbo)) will safely max out at about 175bhp.

I have the same map as Wardy had before his hybrid turbo went on, and it is about 175 real world accurate rollers figures.

When I get the EGR mapped out I might get it on the rollers to get it measured accurately.

Be wary of what a remapper will tell you it produces, how accurate the rollers are etc etc

As you correctly stated, what really matters is driveability, i.e smooth torque delivery

Anyway, my tax was £170 this week on a PD140

• Like 1

Yep, they've managed to drop a whole 23 CO2's, compared with the old PD140. 126 plays 149. Impressive stuff - economy's up as well.

Isn't technology wonderful :)

The tax class was one of my criterion for choosing the 1.9 Tdi Octavia. Its class D and therefore £100 per year.

The performance is adequate - but if you want more, then you have to pay !

Tax is now quite expensive.