Front headlight tinting film?

I recently ordered some headlight tinting film from ebay it arrived yesterday and to my surprise it was fill of holes is this normal because I was kinda expecting it to be like window tint? It might look ok from a distance but am worried it wil look crap from close up. Has anyone used this stuff before and if so is it any good or am I just wasting my time putting it on??

sounds like that's what's known as fly-eye tint and offers the headlamp unit almost no protection and IMHO it's purely aesthetic. If you want the 'proper' stuff, I'd go for (and have done), lamin-x http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/ it's thicker than what you have bought, and more pricey I imagine. It's simple to apply and offers more protection from stone chips etc than the tint you've got. Hope that helps.

No problem mate! I've had so many comments about it. I've got 3 different mates who are all waiting for me to wrap their front lights / fogs.

I did my fogs and it ties in great :)

Didn't notice any light reduction after fitting them either.

That fly eyes stuff is very nasty, I've used it before. It's easy to apply though I'll give it that :)

I just used this stuff to do my headlights at the weekend...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIGHT-SMOKE-headlight-tint-film-like-Lamin-x-with-free-instructions-/261076119776?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc95970e0

Very easy to use. £12 for more than enough to do 2 headlights.

Mine getting done -

d562b3f1.jpg

Mine after -

2CA967A0-CD5F-4833-8211-2B645BEE3B48-3655-00000600CD0B7642.jpg

Edited by chopper-lew
  • Like 1

The spraying option is defiantly appealing to me a lot more now to. It will cost me just as much to spray them as it would to tint them with film the only thing that's putting me off slightly is the fact its guna me permanent if I ever wanted to sell the car and stone chips. What to do. Am just not sure what sort of finnish I would get with tinting film because from past experience I always get the odd bubble or too lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

it'll be something called spi-vision. its good stuff, looks good on car i've got it on mine. Reason for it is its MOT legal ya see... :)

this is when i first put it on my car

spivision.jpg

Edited by Ryy.P

I wouldn't spray front lights they will chip!

You can use a very fine polish on the headlamps to get them smooth as it removes stubborn marks. Essentially they are a flat surface so are very easy to wrap.

I'm going to spray my rears as they can be a bit darker than the fronts :)

it'll be something called spi-vision. its good stuff, looks good on car i've got it on mine. Reason for it is its MOT legal ya see... :)

this is when i first put it on my car

spivision.jpg

Thats the same stuff as what the OP has ordered mate. Fly eyes / spi vision its all the same :)

I just used this stuff to do my headlights at the weekend...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc95970e0

Very easy to use. £12 for more than enough to do 2 headlights.

Another vote for this, I used it as well. Very easy to use and about a quarter of the price of Lamin-x and just the same.

Before

cc7cbfa0.jpg

After

cb77cbd3.jpg

That looks fantastic! What a difference! Just reading through the eBay advert, did you use a heat gun to stick yours on?

You only really need the heat gun to 'shape' it over curvy headlights. As the fabias is like a brick, it needs very little heating and shaping.

I used the wifes hair dryer on low speed/high heat to fold/tidy the corners and go over the whole thing slowly afterwards to make sure it was all dry/stuck (you apply it on wet).

Edited by chopper-lew

I used a hair dryer on my headlight just to heat it up a bit as the glue tends to stick better. The headlights are so easy to wrap though.

Just give them a going over with polish to remove any tough marks and that will ensure a flat finish :)

I always wondered how easy it was to do the headlight film mod? But previously I didn't own a car that was as aerodynamic as a house!!! I'd always split my old cars headlights in the oven, sprayed up the internals with tinting spray and sealed back up, always looked good but a nightmare to seal back up without inheriting mist problems, plus, irreversible unlike this tidy mod!

Do you take the head lights out to wrap? Or do them in situ?

I undid the 3 retaining bolts that hold them in place but didnt remove them.

Doing that gives you about 2cm of free movement which is enough to get your fingers underneath/around the edges to tuck in the film around.

I took mine out. Did wonder if it would have been easier on the car. It would mean you could be a bit more rough with the vinyl and there's no risk of it moving bla bla bla