Monte Alloy Washing

whitey

Hi was wondering why people use to wash Monte Carlo Alloys?

I have traditionally used Wonder Wheels - seems good on the wifes Honda!

Will this damage the Black Monte Wheels - i know it has an acidic base! Is there a good reasonably priced alternative?

Many thanks for your advice

W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I now just use soapy water - does the job. Had a butcher's in Halfords but every alloy cleaner I looked at had an acidic content.

Autoglym custom wheel cleaner is perfect. No acid and biodegradable too.

• Like 1

What's best for sealing? Perhaps sealing is the best plan?

I like soap and water too - but sometimes it does not remove all the brake use etc and alloy cleaner is the only option - its a bugger to get a non acidic cleaner

thanks 4 getting back to me

W

Autoglym custom wheel cleaner is perfect. No acid and biodegradable too.

That's what I was looking for but couldn't see it in stock. They had an Autoglym product but it was acidic.

That's what I was looking for but couldn't see it in stock. They had an Autoglym product but it was acidic.

Yeah they have two one for normal alloys and this one for painted etc.

whitey,

i Got a 1L kit from amazon with 2 detailing brushes for £11.49 excellent stuff. I Then polish and seal with ultra deep shine and HD wax

Edited by Gumby

Autosmart G101 is **** Hot at cleaning alloys, cheap and non acidic too ;)

G101 seems to clean almost anything lol

My dads firm uses it in its valeting bay and use it on almost anything.

Altho a mate of mine at a local factors recomends muc off (again no acidic)

What's best for sealing? Perhaps sealing is the best plan?

I like soap and water too - but sometimes it does not remove all the brake use etc and alloy cleaner is the only option - its a bugger to get a non acidic cleaner

thanks 4 getting back to me

W

If you hate doing your wheels and have a few spare quid you could try http://polishyourcar...alant-15ml.html. Lots of recommendations around if you do a quick google. I've just bought some and just as soon as it stops raining intend to give it a go... :think:

Edited by RobL

Tesco Wash & wax @ £1.99 for 2 Litres is perfect on Nice new wheels that can not be too dirty & probably have very little brake dust on them.

A ickle amount in a Bucket of water, clean over with a small sponge & Rinse, then give a polish over if you want when dry or do not bother.

Do each time you wash the car.

You can then Polish or Wax the wheels if you want.

Turtle Wax Ice makes a great & easy job of giving a shine & making the wheels easy to wash.

Just watch the bottle does not slip out your hand, maybe decant to a smaller bottle.

If you need fancy expensive stuff then use it.

Never use 'Washing up liquid' it has too much Sodium Chloride in it (salt) & Corrosive.

Cheap '£1 shop shampoo' is less Corrosive, but it is hard to better Tesco Wash & Wax when it is so cheap & works great.

(Thats why people say 'Baby Shampoo', because it is mild, but then so is Car Shampoo & it is Cheaper & for cars.)

george

Washed over almost every morning with 'Tesco Wash and wax' and not rinsed usually..

(Wash & go, 'why take 2 bottles into the shower', why even shower then?)

Coated with Turtle Wax Ice on occasion, 10 minute job!!.

Life is too short for detailing IMO. I spent years waxing on, waxing off for a living. No longer necessary.

*the Orange one gets MER, still tough, but 'White' Residue is a PITA.*

I use the local serbain/bosnian/polish crew. £6 for a wash and the car sparkles nicely, wheels too! ;-)

ALTHOUGH, I do intend to put my Autoglym valet set to good use, £48 worth, free with my £47.50 subscription to CAR magazine. As that has alloy cleaner and some other gucci bits, I may take it to the car wash people, then wash it myself with Autoglym Shampoo and Alloy and Glass Cleaner (3 separates) and then polish with the Resin Polish (or whatever).

Then it will rain and the local pigeons will gravitate to my car, before their "offerings" gravitate all over the bodywork...

I sealed and waxed my wheels with the same stuff I did on the car itself so Autoglym EGP and Collinite 476s. Did a few coats when new and I'm due to do it again soon. The car shampoo I use is by Britemax. It smells like bubblegum and lasts ages. Dirt comes off no problem and when clean the wheels look like new

Tesco Wash & wax @ £1.99 for 2 Litres is perfect on Nice new wheels that can not be too dirty & probably have very little brake dust on them.

A ickle amount in a Bucket of water, clean over with a small sponge & Rinse, then give a polish over if you want when dry or do not bother.

Do each time you wash the car.

I passed a Tesco yesterday (wanted to check out price of Momentum - didn't fill up as decided to stick with V-Power). Popped into the store to pick up some of their Wash & Wax but didn't appear to stock it - it's one of the big stores as well - Tesco Extra in Dalmarnock.

Take it they had the Car section.

Sometimes it on at 3 for the price of 2 & has been the same price for 4 or 5 years.

I will give you a gallon if you dont get any. bought a few the last few weeks when a £20 spend was getting you £2 off.

Cupboards are full of Tesco Products.

Tyre & Bumper restorer £1.99 also (used for spraying around door rubbers in winter) is another good product.

george

They dont usually do it in the Stations and if it is there it is more expensive.

I will drop you one off sometime.

(I have 'Tesco Club Card Plus' so get lots of Tesco Points, use lots of Fuel. lol not)

george

Sorry, i said a Gallon, these are just 2 litre ones,

forgot the 4 litres were £3.50 last time, i think..