Anyone had an offer to extend their 3 year warranty yet.

fuzzybunny

I did contact skoda about this and they called me back saying I have to ask my dealer.

An extension is available with or without recovery and its linked to a Car Plan policy.

They couldn't give a price though, said I had to ask the dealer (which was a bit wierd.)

Be interesting to see if the cost varies between dealers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been offered 12 month extension (without breakdown cover) for £360 inc VAT. Does this seem reasonable???

Trev

Edited by TJK

I think I would put £30 in a savings account each month. At least you'd get something extra AND your money back if nothing goes wrong.

What you have to ask yourself is, do you think anything is going to go wrong with your Yeti, and if it does will it cost me £360 to fix?

You also need to know EXACTLY what is and isn't covered. Some of these insurance policies have lots of "get out" clauses or exclusions.

If my DSG gearbox decided to go the way of the Dodo, then £360 would be very cheap.......

Quite so.

My DSG box has started to show a hint of shuddering as it pulls away in 2nd (especially if it's an uphill incline). Not especially troubled knowing they'd fix it if became a problem....but would be somewhat concerned otherwise.

PS. Anyone seen other reports of this on the site? Haven't searched yet.

Edited by oldstan

Quite so.

My DSG box has started to show a hint of shuddering as it pulls away in 2nd (especially if it's an uphill incline). Not especially troubled knowing they'd fix it if became a problem....but would be somewhat concerned otherwise.

PS. Anyone seen other reports of this on the site? Haven't searched yet.

Mine only pulls away in 1st. I have never seen mine do it in 2nd. How do you manage that?

Mine only pulls away in 1st. I have never seen mine do it in 2nd. How do you manage that?

Yes, you're right...from rest it pulls away in 1st but when it's barely moving (just 1 or 2 mph perhaps) and paticularly when it's facing uphill it sometimes judders. Not every time, hence me not worrying too much at the moment, but it's definitely noticeable when it does it. I love the car and the box - it has it's shortcomings insofar as I do have to feather the throttle when 'moving off from rest' but have got used to it. On the move it changes fine almost all of the time and the few times it gets a bit tied up in knots I'm happy to overlook it.

Yes, you're right...from rest it pulls away in 1st but when it's barely moving (just 1 or 2 mph perhaps) and paticularly when it's facing uphill it sometimes judders. Not every time, hence me not worrying too much at the moment, but it's definitely noticeable when it does it. I love the car and the box - it has it's shortcomings insofar as I do have to feather the throttle when 'moving off from rest' but have got used to it. On the move it changes fine almost all of the time and the few times it gets a bit tied up in knots I'm happy to overlook it.

My 1.2 DSG had the same symptoms and was replaced earlier on in the year. Dealer had to take it out first and send photos of the swarf on the magnets to SUK before they would agree to replacement, I think otherwise it would have been over £2k. Just had the timing belt changed too at 19k, it was starting to sound like a bag of nails on cold start up.

My 1.2 DSG had the same symptoms and was replaced earlier on in the year. Dealer had to take it out first and send photos of the swarf on the magnets to SUK before they would agree to replacement, I think otherwise it would have been over £2k. Just had the timing belt changed too at 19k, it was starting to sound like a bag of nails on cold start up.

That's worth knowing - thanks. Two grand!!!!! That's reason enough to either get rid after three years or take out a warranty.

Are you able to quote any details re. dealer and/or dates for the work you had done? Would be helpful in the extreme if mine gets worse.

What was the mileage when it started? Mine only has very low mileage and will always be so under my ownership.

I think I would put £30 in a savings account each month. At least you'd get something extra AND your money back if nothing goes wrong.

What you have to ask yourself is, do you think anything is going to go wrong with your Yeti, and if it does will it cost me £360 to fix?

You also need to know EXACTLY what is and isn't covered. Some of these insurance policies have lots of "get out" clauses or exclusions.

See the above and understand why some might not want to risk merely putting £30 a month away.

Mine does something similar - I notice it especially when having slowed down and then pulling away again without stopping (if that makes sense). It does not have to be uphill either. I did take it to the dealers months ago and I could not demonstrate it at the time, although the mechanic managed to produce an exaggerated juddering that he dismissed as "just getting caught in the wrong gear - but let us know if it gets worse". However it is getting more frequent so I will have to take it back and see what they say. The thing is that it never used to do it when it was new - it only started after maybe 15k miles (can't remember how many). It had previously developed a judder when moving off from stationary, which was traced to an interruption of basic settings and was corrected by re-coding the gearbox. That was at 9.5k miles. It is of concern...!

Mine does something similar - I notice it especially when having slowed down and then pulling away again without stopping (if that makes sense). It does not have to be uphill either. I did take it to the dealers months ago and I could not demonstrate it at the time, although the mechanic managed to produce an exaggerated juddering that he dismissed as "just getting caught in the wrong gear - but let us know if it gets worse". However it is getting more frequent so I will have to take it back and see what they say. The thing is that it never used to do it when it was new - it only started after maybe 15k miles (can't remember how many). It had previously developed a judder when moving off from stationary, which was traced to an interruption of basic settings and was corrected by re-coding the gearbox. That was at 9.5k miles. It is of concern...!

Thanks for that, nawd2.

What are your thoughts about the question of having some sort of warranty to cover the transmission beyond 3 years?

I commented on Llanigraham's suggestion just to put £30 away each month but he hasn't returned to the topic.

I've been offered 12 month extension (without breakdown cover) for £360 inc VAT. Does this seem reasonable???

Trev

That sounds like a dealer warranty, rather than a Skoda UK one. A full Skoda UK extended warranty, includes exactly the same as what you get now including full european breakdown cover.

I commented on Llanigraham's suggestion just to put £30 away each month but he hasn't returned to the topic.

1/ I don't have a DSG box, so can't comment about possible problems with them

2/ You are paying an insurance premium on these things, so if you don't claim you don't get. I would prefer to put £30 a month away, even at 0.5% interest, and possibly get something back at the end.

3/ Most of these (so called) warranties have more holes than a seive, and seem to use the "fair wear and tear" excuse not to pay out.

4/ I've run my last 3 cars to 100k miles and none of them have needed much money spending on them, other than the usual servicing and consumables (and remember 2 of those were supposedly poor reputation Freelanders!) and from the little that I have so far had to expend on my Yeti at 50k I do not see that scenario changing. There are plenty of similar engined Skodas around with 100k miles that have not had problems.

5/ And finally, I've got short arms and long pockets!! :giggle:

And a comment on the Skoda "European" cover. Yes it does cover you if you breakdown, so that the car will be repaired in that country. However what it doesn't cover is repatriation if the vehicle is not repairable or if you have an accident. You still need to take out seperate cover for such eventuallities.

Thanks for that, nawd2.

What are your thoughts about the question of having some sort of warranty to cover the transmission beyond 3 years?

When I bought the Yeti I had thought that I would extend the warranty for more than one year (although I didn't look into it closely, so maybe there is not the option for more than one year, at least via Skoda). I like to keep my cars for a long time, so a one year warranty does not seem a great advantage - I would want at least three years, and that might prove very expensive. I am concerned about my DSG box. A work colleague ordered a VW Polo with the 7 speed DSG after I had had the Yeti for a few months. He tells me that he was told that there was a delay in getting the DSG box because VW were modifying/redesigning it because of problems that had been encountered. If that is correct then the version in my car would be the earlier one with problems. I have not looked on any VW forums to find out if there is any truth in this - does anyone else know anything about it?

• 2 weeks later...

5 year warranty as standard on new Skodas here in Cyprus. My Yeti went in for first service this week and was relatively pain free. Have noticed a little surface rust on the rear silencer (you can see it just under the rear bumper). Dealer said this wasn't covered under the warranty. I am a bit concerned if there are known issues with the DSG as that's what's in mine.

• 6 months later...

Can't get much sense from my dealer. Seems they couldn't be bothered.

Figures quoted as about £540 1 yr, £650+ 2 yr extension no RAC COVER.

A simple question on " what it covered, was it official Skoda product?" seemed to defeat

them as never got a straight answer. Not impressed with Skoda dealers period!

Gave up and may do same when comes to replacement!!