Best product for nice black tyres (reasonably priced)

Ben Cordy

So I'm a little ocd about my tyres having that new tyre shine. Presently I use tire foam which is great and does a good job but it's very expensive. What products do people use? Any alternatives of the domestic variety to keep costs down?

I use autoglym vinyl and rubber care, pour some into a container and apply using a paintbrush or similar. Tyre foam is a pain, and you also waste most of it.

Edited by SimonK24

Wow seems there is a favourite. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the advice guys. Shame it rained following my big clean yesterday oh well chance to try the new stuff out!

this is my favourite by far, goes on really really easily and out lasts the megs by a couple of weeks easily.

http://www.cleanyour...l/prod_143.html

What he said... And you can use this on more than just tyres.

I've rejuvenated wiper blades and rubber door seals with it before now.

Great for black plastics, ariel mast + base, wiper arms (inc metal ones),

wheel arch liners, scuttle panels, black plastic door handles, splitters,

mudflaps and I'm sure many other things I've yet to try.

I pull a small lump off of a big car sponge and apply

with that, then wipe with a microfibre to remove excess and even out the application.

I use a proper shaped applicator for my tyres. Goes a long long way too.

Use it every time I clean a car for something or other and in over two years I've used

about an inch from the bottle so far.

What he said... And you can use this on more than just tyres.

I've rejuvenated wiper blades and rubber door seals with it before now.

Great for black plastics, ariel mast + base, wiper arms (inc metal ones),

wheel arch liners, scuttle panels, black plastic door handles, splitters,

mudflaps and I'm sure many other things I've yet to try.

I pull a small lump off of a big car sponge and apply

with that, then wipe with a microfibre to remove excess and even out the application.

I use a proper shaped applicator for my tyres. Goes a long long way too.

Use it every time I clean a car for something or other and in over two years I've used

about an inch from the bottle so far.

Do you know id that stuff is Silicon based?I'm after something to add a bit of shine back to my carbon vinyl roof after it went patchy after using AG Bumper care stuff on it (come up with white marks)

Just to elaborate a little on the Meguiars Endurance Gel, I find if you go round each tyre once to ensure good coverage, a second coat gives a little more gloss with a deeper look. Always apply a fair while before a journey to eliminate run-off.

As someone mentioned with another product above, the Megs stuff is good on plastics like mudlaps and splitters. I just avoid putting it on rub strips as it runs a little in the rain, leaving deposits on any paintwork underneath.

At about £9 a bottle, it is great value. Only on my second bottle in about 3 years (about to go onto my third), and that is with regular applications to my car and a number of others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of finish do you like - glossy or natural? Glossy got for Megs for a natural look try Angel Wax Elixir or Zaino Z16.

Sorry to hi-jack the OP's thread, but I really hate glossy tyre's (which inevitably leaves black marks on the mitt) so I have always resisted doing them, but if I can get a new tyre look without the gloss and residue I will be tempted, so what to go for out of Angel Wax Elixir or Zaino Z16??