Heated Front Windscreen

Having had my second Superb for about two months now I cannot get used to the heated front screen. The problems are that on a grey cloudy day you see a series of stripes about 3mm wide, one grey one clear. The grey stripe is the element in the window, but as I am focusing in the distance the image is blurred, almost like the toughening pattern in some glass screens. When sunlight hits the screen from a side angle then the elements reflect the sunlight. The element in the screen, when you look closely are zigzag top to bottom. Last night was one of the first times to drive the car in the dark, every light coming towards you is "fuzzy" as it is distorted by the zigzag heater elements.

Before anyone asks yes i have had my eyes tested!

I am keen to hear of other members experiences with this option.

Edited by GrahamElegance

It's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

I like the heated windscreen in my Mk1 Superb as at the time I bought it this was the only option ensuring clear visibility as soon as the car was started. However, it takes a moment to get used to the fuzzy pattern of heating wires, and these windscreens also chip and crack much more easily. To give you an idea how much more easily, I am on my third windscreen after 6 years, and the windscreen repairers did not want to repair the chips/cracks, even though none went all the way through.

Nowadays, it is a much better choice to go for PTC electric heater in the airco system instead. It puts out about 1kW of heat so clears the windscreen almost instantly. It is an option on Mk2 Superbs.

Then you can have your 'normal' windscreen and still mist-free right after startup. I'm in the process of retro-fitting PTC heater to my wife's Roomster.

Edited by dieselV6

Get used to it or be wiser not to order next time.

To be honest my two Scorpios (Granadas in UK) over a decade were with heated front screen and I was so used to it that when switching to Saab I was quite annoyed. So I'm used to it and I see no problem in this ultra thin wiring. However I heard VW has now infrared? windshield heating and hence better visibility.

The added heater in aircon is no match to heated front screen. Especially when we speak about below zero temperatures and ice.

I only collected my car two days ago, so it is too early to say very much.

However, my wife said she could see the elements when we collected it, but I couldn't. But this morning driving towards a low sun, I could see them.

I'll have to wait and see how I get on and after I've driven in the dark.

I have had two Seat Alhambras with heated screens (still waiting for the Superb). In both the elements were visible if you looked for them. In my experience you'll filter out the elements- ie, you'll get used to them. The benefits of heated screens far outweigh these minor problems.............my view!

Danny

may I ask do the elements in your screen "sparkle" in sunlight?

No. I have had several cars with heated front windscreens (Mondeo 2001 onwards) and have never had a problem with the visual impact of the element. Without trying to teach you to "suck eggs" so to speak simply look beyound the windscreen to say at least the bonnet then your near focus will tend to dissapear as an obvious point of impact visually.

Hope it helps.

I agree with Danny 57.

If you look for the elements you will see them. Look further into the distance and you stop seeing them.

When I first got the car I looked for them, saw them and thought that I was going to have a problem.

Since then I only occasionaly notice them. In some lighting I notice them a bit more than at other times, but when I am driving I have never yet found them to be a distraction, day or night.

Only had the car for about 8 weeks/1500 miles so yet to need the 'benefit' of the heated windscreen but it's good to know that it will be there when I need it.

Paul

It's a bit like as the car gets older and you have one or two small chips in the windscreen. If you focus on them, you see them all the time, but if you concentrate on the road and traffic ahead, you forget about them.

I remember some years ago reading about a police area that had Fords with heated windscreens. When it was discovered that the elements could be seen at certain times, the order was issued that they were not to be used. Some officers continued to use them and faced disciplinary action, so they were all disconnected to ensure they were not used, but the stupid thing is that the elements were still in the screen and could be seen whether they were used or not!

Agree with other posters...I think you'll get used to it. I had one as standard in a 1999 Mondeo and although it was useful on occasion I don't think I'd have another as there were occasions when, like you, I found myself focussing on the wrong thing. Anyway, with a demisting hurricane available at the push of a single button these days it's not as useful as it once was.

I have ordered the heated windscreen on my Superb, had one on a Mondeo previously - I loved it and it has been the main thing I have missed on the Navara I currently have.

On countdown now, Superb due at dealers on 17th September, just hope the date does not change at the last minute

I have ordered the heated windscreen on my Superb, had one on a Mondeo previously - I loved it and it has been the main thing I have missed on the Navara I currently have.

On countdown now, Superb due at dealers on 17th September, just hope the date does not change at the last minute

Sure enough, got a phone call to say that the date has changed.

The car is at the dealers now being prepped, if all goes to plan should have it by the end of next week - happy days!!!

If it is at the dealers now you should have by Wednesday as I did when mine turned up on a Friday.

Enjoy it.

I went to Manchester Airport and back by 1030hrs yesterday morning a round trip of 332 miles and averaged 61mpg doing 70 up there and 62 back.

Hi!

Had one on my earlier Mondeo. Rarely ever used. Partly stopped working (on the wrong side of course...) after a small chip in the windscreen. Sensitive to small "hits" there I was told later. Not worth the money IMHO, but that's me.

/Superbjoser

• 1 year later...

I had a Ford Galaxy '56' new shape that had the heated front screen, I loved it. Yes you could see the elements if you focused on them otherwise I just looked beyond them and didn't notice them. I haven't got the heated screen on my Superb and miss it terribly. Again that's my opinion.

Edited by Scoop610

I had a Ford Galaxy '56' new shape that had the heated front screen, I loved it. Yes you could see the elements if you focused on them otherwise I just looked beyond them and didn't notice them. I haven't got the heated screen on my Superb and miss it terribly. Again that's my thought

thought heated screen was standard on fl elegance spec????