Any One Worried Our Cars Are Worth Nothing?

As per the title I wondered if anyone else was worried that our cars are pretty much worth nothing? I paid £2200 for my 53 reg RS last December with 110k on the clock, FSH and a few choice mods. Looking at second hand prices now, I'd be lucky to get £1600 (that's if it would even sell.) I am really growing to like the car now after a slow start so I won't be changing for some time now but I'm worried if the prices can possibly drop any more! If your looking to buy an Octi RS at the moment then your lucky as there are so many for sale and some at silly prices. I just don't understand why they are so cheap, VAG reliability and build quality, good performance and reasonable fuel consumption, a proper Q car, overall a very good package. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

There are loads for sale, but go and take a look at the quality on offer. Also badge snobs I am afraid oh a skoda :notme: I will pay the extra few grand for the Audi or Golf GTI. Just be like me and look after your car and don`t worry about it, I have in my mind that when I want a new car the Skoda will be staying in the family fold its worth so much more.

• Like 1

Not bothered, planning on keeping mine till it dies. Whole point for me in getting the Vrs was that it can cope should I have kids etc so I would never have to sell it

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

• Like 1

I don't care either...she will die mine.Here the local market is different,The average price for a mk1 Octy is about 4000 Euro

For me the octy is the best car...chep to maintain,I can afford any repair,the car is in a good shape,is confortable,and pretty fast.

My cousin has a B6 diesel passat,and he is very upset to pay 400 euro for one injector.

For me the octy is the best car...chep to maintain,I can afford any repair,the car is in a good shape,is confortable,and pretty fast.

That's very much my thinking too; fast enough given the roads around here, cheap to run, comfortable for a long tag, enough space for my needs...

Well, I've gotta be honest, but I don't know what you're worried about. It's not like you've lost a lot on it. Quite reasonable depreciation for best part of a year. And given that £2,200 is pretty much peanuts for a half decent car to start with...

I'm more worried that I bought mine last feb (2011) for £4,000 (with 49K on the clock), have shelled out around £1,500 putting it right, and still bits keep breaking.

I'm certainly not seeing this reliability that people talk about (except maybe the engine itself...)

I think you ought to look at the big picture and see the depreciation that people lose on decent cars, and not just our old-hat cheap runabouts (which whether or not we choose to accept it, and as hard up as we may be, is in reality what they are)

The wife's car is probably depreciating at a rate of about £3,000 a year.

• Like 1

Things will only be worth anything to those who want what you got :D

Mines worth sod all to most.... But to some its worth somethings

And luckily to some members its worth wanting :D

Other than that i do agree....... I still get plenty of "skoda digs" it does get up my nose at times :(

• Like 1

you don't think the octy is reliable? hmmm

I had small problems with my car along those 4 years I'm having it,but unlike the clutch every repair was small,very small and cheap.Here we have rough roads,and I don't consider replacing a wheel bearing a big repair.

The ebgine had only one coil blown and the ignition module blown,but ignition module was premature the lack of cooling killed it

I had 1 window regulator failed and that was a bit strange...60pounds to replace, 0 labour

Edited by IulianE

Things will only be worth anything to those who want what you got :D

Mines worth sod all to most.... But to some its worth somethings

And luckily to some members its worth wanting :D

Other than that i do agree....... I still get plenty of "skoda digs" it does get up my nose at times :(

i know that feeling when i got my car and told a couple of people at work about it straight away the skoda digs came out. one lad was like i dont like them and i just kepted asking why and he didnt respond. so after work showed him what vrs stood for and after that he never disliked them. i love my car as said by many other members cheap to run and not too costly to repair depending on where you look but otherwise reliable practical and quite quick and more so after remap. will miss it when its got to go as i cant think of many cars that come close to what i want for a car so will keep it maintained till it does.

Had mine 4 years and paid £4500 for it, was the longest I'd ever owned a car tbh and it was reliable with nothing major going wrong in that time.

Sold it for £1000 needing a new turbo and a few other tiny bits, I would've broke it but didn't have the time and that's all the buyer did. Strip it.

7071ce3a.jpg

I would have another as a daily for our lass as there comfortable with bags of room, wouldnt class them as fast tho. i deffinately wouldn't waste money on one again.

Edited by SNH

having just brought my first Octavia vRS on an 02 plate at a steal of a price with a good history been well kept and virtually immaculate :)

in my eyes the price doesn't bother me i brought the car with the sole intention of keeping it in good condition regular servicing and holding on to it for as long as possible :)

I don't do street racing,I don't agree with this type of competition....but I had 2 in line racing(in 4 years) with a S40 180 BHP diesel Volvo(remapped) and an 2.0i X3 BMW

In both cases I won...the Volvo owner was extremely intrigued that my stock 150 bhp is faster between 2 traffic lights,he pulled me over to the side of the road and start questioning me about the car ,was quite funny :)

I agree with all points, from owning approx 52 cars including Subarus and other fast cars, etc the VRS was and still is the best all round car I have owned. I have owned mine for other 5.5 years double to what any other cars owned.

The price depriciation is not bad when you consider the other VAG group dropping like flies. This is expected in the economical times we are in.

Reliability is only as good as the owner has experienced , so demonufo you have definatley experienced bad luck then as most members would say best car for reliability.

Mind you, as I am always out there most weekends messing about with the car, swaping stuff, cleaning etc etc, my neighbour is always saying to me what's broken now :rofl:

I got my now ex. 2001 vRS brand new in July 2001, paid the full £15,100 they cost new back then. The car was so rare, I was regularly asked questions in petrol stations, parking etc. Even parked at the roadside you could see people stopping as they walked past. I sold it after more than 4 years ownership and 55K miles on the clock for £6K and then last November after not seeing it since 2006 it popped up on ebay with 99K miles on the clock for £2K. Nearly bought it back, but it was sadly beyond saving and it was purchased by a breakers yard.

• Like 1

Mind you, as I am always out there most weekends messing about with the car, swaping stuff, cleaning etc etc, my neighbour is always saying to me what's broken now :rofl:

This is so true...few days ago I removed the starter for the second time in a week (first time for cleaning and lubing,and second time to replace the bush)and my neighbour think my car is dead broken :rofl::rock:

This is so true...few days ago I removed the starter for the second time in a week (first time for cleaning and lubing,and second time to replace the bush)and my neighbour think my car is dead broken :rofl::rock:

lol. I gave up telling him for the 20th time just messing with it as I enjoy it....He just looked at me strangely.

• Like 1

One advantage of moving here and bringing the car - a 2004 vRS goes for about $12-15k, about 6-7.5K in pounds.

A mate just paid about $12k for a 2003 1.8t Elegance Auto.

But I don't plan to sell it. I bought mine new for GBP 16k and have probably spent the same again in 8 years with mods and service parts.

Mine has been great reliability-wise. Starting to get a couple of little niggles now like one of the back door locks sometimes sticks, and one of the headlight adjusters sometimes doesn't work.

But other than that nothing has gone wrong that I haven't caused by tinkering with it.

• Like 1

I sold my modified 4x4 back in May, as expanding family, lots of miles and lack of time made keeping a modified car impractical. I have made back what I paid for it as had some bits left over. In my 20 months ownership, spent about £700 on mods and probably £2000 on parts and maintainance as intended keeping it longer. It was alot of fun, but having had a 3 year old Mazda now for nearly 6 months and not had to spend any money on it, I haven't looked back. Miss the Briskoda banter though....

It was just odd, stupid things that blotted it's copy book, notibly a fault which turned out to be a brake light switch, which kept it off the road for nearly a month.

I still miss the thing and occasionally think I should have exported to CZ and left it in the father in law's barn.

Sadly now most of the good bits off it are floating around on various parts of briskoda, notibly on a certain tuners estate, as it was broken up.

In summary, if a car is reliable, you enjoy it still and it's not costing you loads of money, then it's value is irrelevant.

That last post's spot on; you only crystallise the loss when you actually sell it. If you keep it for four/five years like I have, the fact that you paid c£7k for it and it's now worth somewhere sub £3k means that at £1k average a year depreciation you can't complain. Sure, a VW golf would be worth more now but you'd have had to spend a lot more to get it in the first place - percentage wise the loss would probably be similar but the actual monetary value would be less on the Octavia. So I'm not worried that my car's not worth much, I know it's not worth much - if I keep it another year it'll cost what, maybe £500 in work, lose another £500 in depreciation? What newer car are you going to get that only loses you £1k in a year with another 20k on the clock??

• Like 1

I bought my TDI thinking I would run it into the ground.... it is my daily work horse.... and that is still my plan. I do my own servicing to keep costs downs, but don't skimp. When a job needs doing it gets done (granted maybe not the day I spot the problem, but quick enough that it does not turn into an issue).

202k and it still going ok, apart from the problems which seem to plague 110TDIs Octys.

Edited by mbames

I bought my vrs with the intention to leave it alone and run it as it was, yeah that didn't happen

I intend to keep it until i either crash it or its rusts away which going on current rust levels will be a very long time