flywheel n clutch conversion

Posted Today, 20:03

hi all

my octy has started with the old dmf clatter and is gonna need doin soon by the sound of it, she s a 57 plate 1.9 tdi.

as im a taxi driver im doing 50,000+ per year and need reliability (dont we all) and i have mixed feelings about doin the conversion to a smf and thinking where these designed to be changed??

however after reading some stuff on here it seems to be the thing to do.

my question is this.... its ok for normal drivers to do this but is it ok to start changing major design parts when your doing big mileages and getting the hammer that taxis do?

i dont doubt the reliability of the car 1 bit but im a little confused as to what to do for the best.

i see some of you are saying get the valeo 1, are they ok?? they seem very cheap or do i go for a luk or sachs, which is good for the big miles?

dont wanna be stripping it down again in a few months

also, and this is a biggy for me, does it affect the mpg? i'm in the 50's at the mo would that change with a smf?

i would really appreciate some help here from you gurus out there as its curdling my brain.

many thanks in advance.

gaz+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ps, of course, i will be fitting the clutch also, just thought id'e mention it

Hi.

Lots of us on here have had this done now with very happy results.

Mine was converted to SMF under warranty by Skoda who insisted that it was changed to stop any future problems and claims. New clutch fitted at the same time. It was done at 35K and I'm on 57K now and it's been totally faultless. Absolute pleasure to drive now,so smooth and quiet with no more lumpy idle and clatter. The engine is much more responsive too as the bite point is more prominent compared to a spongy DMF. I have given it plenty of low down hard acceleration and it copes effortlessly. As regarding MPG I have noticed a much better gain since conversion. Mines always around 59 mpg constantly and rises to 67 mpg whilst coming home from work in the early hours. There is another taxi driver on here who has had it done too with a more considerable amount of miles done with no complaints. I highly recommend the conversion you won't regret it.

Hi mate, I'm also a taxi driver.

I've just changed both my clutch and dmf, I decided to go for another dmf (luk).

The reason behind this was on my last octavia a went down the smf conversion route, and it just never felt 'right' for the rest of the time I owned it.

I do about 30k a year, and as the original one in this car had lasted almost 120k I thought if I get another 120k then that will see me through to my next car.

I'm pleased I stuck with the dmf, and the luk one as since I had it done nearly 5k ago it still feels like new. And it feels nothing like my last one that I had the smf fitted to it

Edited by JohnSTV6

having a little flick through a free trade magazine the we got from dingbro. and theres a bit about the DMF clutches in from LUK and they say fitting a SMF will loose you about 18% MPG. True, un-true i have no idea.

Gazndale, I am also a taxi owner driver, had my 1st single system fitted by the dealer at 46K, 3 years ago, just had the clutch only changed this year at around 195K now on 215K, best thing since slided bread, mines a LUK single system.

Everything is smother and the clutch pedal lighter, and I am getting just over 500 miles between fills.

Mike H has also had his converted and he loves it

having a little flick through a free trade magazine the we got from dingbro. and theres a bit about the DMF clutches in from LUK and they say fitting a SMF will loose you about 18% MPG. True, un-true i have no idea.

If you fitted a too light SMF and had to use higher rpm to keep it smooth, then that would cost you mpg. Otherwise I have no idea what they are on about.

OEM is usually made by LUK and installed in the factory, sometimes Sach in scarcity of LUK - Sachs is second option (at least for South Eastern Europe).

So basically DMF is rebadged LUK.

Sounds incredibly unlikely. (also I have not found this to be the case)

I would love to see their explanition as to why this would be so.

I do not belive the increased mass would have this great an effect.

On the other hand every time one part of a DMF moves relative to the other part of a DMF viscous friction will be converting kinetic energy into heat, so I can see how a DMF would reduce efficciency and increase fuel consumption.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well having read this post I am amazed - and shocked.

The fact that Skoda main dealers and Skoda THEMSELVES are replacing the DMF's with an SMF is a clear admission that the DMF's are a design fault.

Why don't they just give up on the DMF's. ?

They should do a recall and replace all of them - but of course this would cost them a fortune, and would be an admission of culpability.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just a quick question what is the DMF? Double mass flywheel?

Does problem affect the 4x4? I am getting a problem with the clutch making a noise when pulling away. Mechanic friend says the clutch is on its way out.