Plasti-Dipped my Grille and badges

I finally got around to plasti-dipping my grille and badges at the weekend after buying a can a few months back!

It was really quite easy apart from when the can decided to spit a few big globs of the stuff out now and again but most of the time it flattened out but I did end up with one slight bump but its really small. I prepped the areas beforehand with some tardis. not sure if thats the best thing to remove wax but time will tell.

First off I covered the car with a blanket then taped around the grille and gave it a couple of coats letting it dry in-between.

pa061317.jpg

I put some masking tape on the badge to make it easy to remove.

pa061318.jpg

As it got thicker. Probably about 6 coats here.

pa061323.jpg

After it all dried I started peeling...

pa061324.jpg

and a bit more... you can see the small fault here where a glob of the spray popped out.

pa061325.jpg

eventually I got it all off. the part that had the dip removed is really rough so Il go over it with some car lack to clean it off. it was getting dark here and i only removed the badge dip the next day but im really chuffed with it at the moment.

not sure on the longevity of it as it was really easy to remove from the badge so it may chip easily?

pa061328.jpg

I also did the badges

pa061333.jpg

pa061336.jpg

Hope you like although its probably marmite to some. apologies for the carp pics but it was getting dark at the end

Might do the mirrors next but will probably need another can

• Like 2

Would it not have been easier and given a better job with the grill removed from the car, its actually dead easy to remove.

The hole point of plastidip is that it can be easily removed. So really you don't need to mask anything off. I have done the whole car and only masked the front window and rear window due to wiper blades.

Would it not have been easier and given a better job with the grill removed from the car, its actually dead easy to remove.

nah, by the time i found my socket set then cleared a space to hang it to spray it that would have been longer than the five mins it took to put the cover under the bonnet and mask the small area around the grille. Not sure it would have been a better finish either as the glob that popped out of the spray can appeared when it was horizontal. If youve got everything to hand then it might be quicker but my garage is full of house stuff :(

Ive currently got a matt black grill fitted, but Im going back to colour coded, I just think its too much on the front of the Octavia.

Colour coding grill surround only works on dark colours IMO. Black grill surround on white looks great, that's why I had mine wrapped.

Ahhhh it was someone off here, had to be really, I saw you in Northop this morning (Bangor 60 plate?) I've seen you around a few times, noticed the grille today, tidy motor matey :thumbup:

Can't mistake you for plod now from a distance though..... hehe

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Ahhhh it was someone off here, had to be really, I saw you in Northop this morning (Bangor 60 plate?) I've seen you around a few times, noticed the grille today, tidy motor matey :thumbup:

Can't mistake you for plod now from a distance though..... hehe

Cheers

Pete

Yes that would have been me pete :)

The CX plate and colour has been a bit of a curse around here. The coppers either wave at me or look confused and the local chavs in Shotton are even more confused and dont know which way to run! Doesnt help when the works uniform is a dark polo shirt!

will give you a wave if I see you!

• Like 1

Yes that would have been me pete :)

The CX plate and colour has been a bit of a curse around here. The coppers either wave at me or look confused and the local chavs in Shotton are even more confused and dont know which way to run! Doesnt help when the works uniform is a dark polo shirt!

will give you a wave if I see you!

I can imagine that plate can be fun on the A55 though ;)

I was in my works van today but likewise I'll give you a wave if we cross Octys :D

I can imagine that plate can be fun on the A55 though ;)

I was in my works van today but likewise I'll give you a wave if we cross Octys :D

Yup, its quite fun on the a55 watching audi's and bmw's slamming on as they approach from behind :D

that must have been you at the cross road lights then in the tall van? I think I have seen a black sport knocking around as they are quite rare so must have been you :)

Yeah that was me in the Sprinter, turned at the lights as you were approaching then you followed me through the 30.

Hadn't realised quite how rare the Sport model is, they're like hens teeth, and some of the specific parts are too!!

See you on the road :)

• Like 1

Like this a lot! Badge looks good too.

Looks great! I ordered my white blackline with grill and mirror caps painted by the dealer, so it's nice to see the grill black.

I'm going to do the same but vinyl wrapped I think. Not to copy :peek:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...