Beti the K04 Yeti.

Yeti_Man

This is awesome just wasted (in some peoples view) a bit of time reading the whole thing, it answers all my questions of what can be done to 1.8tsi yeti. If I get the money, i think it would be hard to resist as a one car solution. over 300bhp would give a few scooby owners a shock too! 

• Like 2

I've been looking at BBKs and there seem to be the usual bunch of expensive Tarox kits and there's also a SEAT Cupra 345mm kit that would seem to fit under 17s; still, the concept of lightweight calipers, stock discs and decent pads really appeals, so can I ask where you got the Porsche callipers and the Mintex/Ferodo pads? And are you running steel braided lines? 

I've been looking at BBKs and there seem to be the usual bunch of expensive Tarox kits and there's also a SEAT Cupra 345mm kit that would seem to fit under 17s; still, the concept of lightweight calipers, stock discs and decent pads really appeals, so can I ask where you got the Porsche callipers and the Mintex/Ferodo pads? And are you running steel braided lines? 

Yep, steel lines as per my sig. details. Everything was sourced from DaveB (pads and kit) and Jon at Caliper Refurbs (porsche calipers which were refitted with all new seals etc after being very nicely resprayed and ceramic coated. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How tough did you find it getting hold of DaveB?

Don't get me started. I would actually recommend dealing with him indirectly via one of his resellers like Nathan Kowalski. Let them do the hard work.

• Like 1

How tough did you find it getting hold of DaveB?

pretty easy once you have his mobile number! He's a busy guy and really only does it as a hobby alongside his main daily job. Nice guy though and the quality of the kit and the materials he uses are very nice indeed. :)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The service was done on Saturday as planned. She's come out running noticeably smoother with the new spark plugs in place (not that she didn't feel smooth previously...) but was surprised by the difference.

Originals after 40k + miles:

IMG_06401_zpsdb31d779.jpg

All four showing the same wear and no problems to note. :)

And the old pollen filter after 20k compared to the new one ready to go in place:

IMG_06411_zps3fca60d0.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't find my McGard locking wheelnut key :think:  so the hunt is now on. Once its either located or I've ordered a replacement from McGard in Germany I'll get the brake fluid changed. :)

Apart from the actual service bits I also wanted to check out the polybushes on the rear drivers side as there is very (very) slight movement on the wheel. After an extensive underbody inspection and lots of pulling and pushing we singled it down to being the one shown in the centre of the below photo:

IMG_06171_zps344b494c.jpg

As everything is done up tight as it should be, it looks like the bush has collapsed somehow - the central metal part to the surrounding rubber perhaps. I'll be contacting Shark Performance next week to get a new one sorted - lets hope Polybush don't mess around and will send one out. Watch this space.

Finally, having the car under cover, I took the opportunity of doing the six monthly Gliptone leather clean and restore treatment. Still looking pretty good for 40,000 miles of wear on Skoda's cheap leather/plastic seats:

IMG_0264_zpsdb6af839.jpg

IMG_0267_zps5d48f8db.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, amongst the cheapest looking and feeling of any 'leather' seats I've ever had but as you say, they do wear well at least. :)

I was in a 2010 Audi A5 S-line convertible and they were almost exactly the same.

So unless you upgrade I think it's the sensible VAG option. :D

PS.  I did slide down in the apssenger seat so as not to be noticed. :giggle:

• Like 2

Recently driven a Tourag (although these seats were optional over the standard leather ones) and a Passat Exec Style and both were noticeably nicer quality. Tiguan leather is also much nicer IMO - heavier grain, even more robust. The Tourags were soft and smelt like proper proper leather every time I got into the cabin! I won't even comment on the amazing seats in a brand new showroom RS6 I looked at on Friday night. Getting back into (more like, 'onto') these things was 'interesting'.

• Like 2

@Yeti_Man: you don't by any chance do any services around Germany, do you :giggle: ? I think that my Keri wouldn't mind some of that excellent treatment that you have performed on your Beti, job well done there! :clap:

• Like 1

@Yeti_Man: you don't by any chance do any services around Germany, do you :giggle: ? I think that my Keri wouldn't mind some of that excellent treatment that you have performed on your Beti, job well done there! :clap:

Im sure I could pop over and do something for Keri. :rofl:  Funnily enough I was hoping to do the Cologne Christmas market with the family this year and at some point we'll be driving down to see our Swiss German/German friends in the Black Forest. Never say never. Im sure Beti and Keri would get on well also!   :giggle:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Top project thread this (not that it needed saying again).

I'm getting very tempted to take a similar route when the time comes to replace my Hirsch tweaked 302bhp/420Nm Saab 9-3 2.8T...loving that it's almost entirely bolt on part-bin mods, apart from the mapping  :clap:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So last week, I had a spending accident! :happy:

I never knew what these were but now I know I have them too.

This is a wicked thread. Congrats on the car which must be food for thought for lots of us.

Edited by TsvRS

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so a small update. After weeks and weeks of waiting, I've finally received the replacement rear inner toe control arm bush from Polybush. In nearly 20 years of modifying cars and dealing with many many related companies, I can honestly say that I've never dealt with such a bunch of inefficient humans (and that's being quite polite!). Powerflex were spot on with so many of my cars before, including aftersales and warranty issues - Polybush have a very long way to go to get even half as good, from the customers perspective.

image1024x765_zpsd17f2a10.jpg

A far more positive experience from McGard though... within three days of emailing them in Germany, I had received a new, specific locking wheel nut key for my set - after loosing mine a few weeks back (which is still a total mystery!) Anyway, I can finally swap my wheels over and get the brake fluid renewed in a couple of weekends time. :)

Other jobs for the 12th are:

I'll be playing with and testing some new suspension components.... including anti roll bars, bushes, dampers and springs...

After doing lots of research I'll be sizing up some different oil cooler options for the car; one from Mocal, one from HEL and hopefully one from Setrab.

Once that's out the way im going to give Beti a proper detail the following weekend. :)

Let me know if you want the dimensions of my Mocal oil cooler.

It fits well and keeps the temp under +115c even on track.

Daily temps dropped 8 to 10c when driving normally.

• Like 1

Let me know if you want the dimensions of my Mocal oil cooler.

It fits well and keeps the temp under +115c even on track.

Daily temps dropped 8 to 10c when driving normally.

Thanks Richard, I did actually post previously on your thread - id be interested in any details tbh. I'm probably going to end up with a Setrab or Mocal rad - just going to try to fit the bigger Mocal one maybe - the 24 row one - if its too tight then i'll drop down to the 19 row one and go with Setrab. Thinking of either mounting to the side of the engine bay, around the wheel arch area and venting it through or placing it off centre to the FMIC/main rad/air con rad but that's what the day will be for - sizing up different options and coming up with brackets. :)

edit - ive just seen that you've updated your thread with photos of the oil cooler setup! DOH! Missed that, sorry. Looks good and great to read the difference it actually does make! :)

• Like 1

Just checked, mine is the Mocal 19 row one.

http://www.mocal.co.uk/products.html#oilcoolers

Fits nicely in the driver side front grille for a cool air feed, up high so not in the way of the rad very much.

That's great - the Mocal one would be my choice for an easy install due to its size but I cant help thinking, if im doing it once and once only, although more costly and a more involved install, I may as well try to get the Setrab one in there - its got over 40% more surface area and gets very good write ups by friends in the US (which in fairness is a much harsher environment for their cars when doing track day workouts). Overkill for Beti? Possibly but its the current preference. Im also out roadtriping the East Coast for October and the prices are almost inline with the cheaper options here so I may even defer and bring back some hardware. I'll see how the sizing up and fitment possibilities pan out next weekend. I may well end up taking the easier route with my 'lets be realistic' hat on!  :)

• Like 1

You could always regulate the flow through the cooler with a thermostat. 

Cooler oil cannot harm (unless it stays under 60°C  :D  )