09 VRS Ltd Edition 2.0 Tsi Engine Gone Bang!

Well done mate at least you got that. What made them cough up in the end?

I paid for an engineers report on the vehicle. I also got evidence from Halfords to confirm that I'd bought the correct oil. I must say that I give a lot of credit to Halfords customer service. Their IT department went back 2 years to locate the sale and customer service rep was very accommodating with my request.

To be fair to Skoda they didn't ignore my situation and a customer service rep, Ian Watson, was on the ball kept me informed of the situation while dealing with the garage. Yes, I would have liked more money from them but I am where I am, lesson learnt.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I think that I am about to go down the same route as some of the writers above.

I gave my car a '59 Octavia VRS to a "meet & greet" company at Heathrow, went off on holiday and on my return was phoned by them saying that they couldn't start it.

To cut a long story short, it is now in a garage (no compression and they are saying that the timing chain has probably jumped).

I am currently waiting for them to actually pull it apart and tell me the actual damage. :sweat:  and the potential cost! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

It's got about 75K on the clock btw.

Any advice on how to get SUK to cough up for any costs would be gratefully recieved. :happy:

Am I missing something here...is a 2.0tsi the same as a 2.0 tfsi.....?or are they different engines

Different engines.

The early Mk2 were TFSI, the later Mk2 were TSI. Not quite sure when the change happened.

Both 2 litre turbo with 200bhp, but definitely different.

For my research the crossing point was the FL in 09. You might see a rare pre FL with tsi engine but not many. The confusing part is that they are all listed as tfsi on auto trader and the dealers etc. Not sure why. Only 100% sure fire way is to pop the bonnet and have a look.

Biggest difference and main point of this thread is that the tsi is chain driven whereas the tfsi is belt driven. The chain is a non serviceable part but seems to be going bang on random cars regardless of mileage etc.

M0bov--- sorry I don't know what "FMDSH" is? Full service history? if so, then yes. No, no 3rd party cover.

Russler,Dr Zoidburg, -- I think that it's a TSI but not sure, does it matter in regards to my question?

If they are quoting the timing chain jumping then it will be the TSI as the TFSI was a belt.

Good luck with SCUK and keep us up to date. I am an TSI owner and am pondering on a warranty when the dealer warranty expires.

I have been told that it is a chain so I would agree it's a TSI if that's the difference... just looked on google images and I'd say that it looks the same as the audi picture (except obviousy mine has Skoda written on the cover ;) )

09 was about the change time.  EA113 and EA888 were the designatons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines

There are some pictures on this forum as the oil dip stick is in different place on each engine.  

EA888 as in the 10 plate is noisier and you can hear the chain. 

Did they upgrade the tensioner eventually on the later engines or just carried on blissfully unaware???[/size]

I think its already mentioned in the thread somewhere - there are several iterations/evolutions of the part.

hapened to me too there is now a version 4 tensioner available, cheaper to replace the odd engine than it is to do a recall, bad attitude and customer care in my book

There are several ways of looking at this..... If they did a recall then they would be doing this not just with Skoda but with the whole VAG group....this is not a common fault so i believe......far cheaper for VAG to replace a few engines here and there.....a tensioner is cheaper to replace........

People will always complain more about something going wrong. I know for one my vehicles engine was replaced due to the TSI fault and was done under warranty.....It is a shame that VAG upgraded the engine from something that was reliable but then was the TFSI reliable in the beginning....

OK so handle it differently - give a lifetime warranty on the engine for that fault so that if you are the unlucky one that has a failure you at least have the comfort of know that VAG will pickup the tab for a design failure. After all that is what we are talking about here a design flaw that means that the ratchet fails to do its job.

• Like 1