YETI 1.4 TSI DSG 2WD

P55REY

Skoda Auto website talking about producing Yeti with the 1.4 TSI petrol engine and 7 speed DSG box in 2 wheel drive form.

I have the Octavia with that set up and it is excellent, but a similar powered Yeti would be even better.

Any manual 1.4 TSI owners on here got any advice on real life petrol consumption and performance.

I usually average 42mpg with the Octavia and have teased it up to a tad over 50mpg occassionally, but admit my driving style is relaxed rural rather than enthusiastic urban these days.

Any experiences welcome.

I doubt it would be the 178 bhp Twin charger 1.4TSi, (it can easily do 50 mpg plus in the Fabia)

is that what you read it would be?

Or the 122 ps with the DSG ?

Waiting with interest to hear what engine is going in the New Hot SEAT or if it gets the same engine as the old one.

george

It'll be the same 1.4 TSI engine already in the Yeti. Just with DSG.

They won't twin charge it. Not without 4x4 and the 1.8TSI is already too close in power to it, which other markets already comes with a DSG.

Wonder why there is no 4wd? I would be interested if it had it, but not without.

Perhaps Skoda feel that the additional weight and transmission losses would blunt the performance too much with a smaller capacity unit? Maybe its just marketing?

Perhaps Skoda feel that the additional weight and transmission losses would blunt the performance too much with a smaller capacity unit? Maybe its just marketing?

CR110? doesn't seen to suffer in 4WD guise. I know it has more torque, but a lot less power than the 1.4tsi, (apart from Octygone's that is :rofl: )

Edited by rockhopper

CR110? doesn't seen to suffer in 4WD guise. I know it has more torque, but a lot less power than the 1.4tsi, (apart from Octygone's that is :rofl: )

Torque is the thing that moves you so Im guessing decisions such as matching up drivetrain components would be more likely to go on torque than power - if its even a technical issue in the first place.

I had the 1.2 tsi dsg yeti , fine car but a bit like a squirrel on drugs when it came to snow and ice . god knows how a 1.4 might act ?

Which implies it would benefit from 4wd.

Why does it?

The best way to use 4x4 is where the power is low down the rev range, and with lots of torque, exactly what a diesel provides. Both the 1.2 and 1.4 petrols produce a very narrow power band at high revs, so to use the 4x4 system you would need to be slipping the clutches all the time.

I had the 1.2 tsi dsg yeti , fine car but a bit like a squirrel on drugs when it came to snow and ice . god knows how a 1.4 might act ?

As the Americans say "There is no substitute for cubic inches".

A small point on the torque thing and 4x4 or just a 2wd.

The Yeti 1.8 TSi 160ps 4x4 already produces 250 Nm. @ 1,500- 4500 rpm ....... & 160 ps @ 4,500 - 6,200 rpm.

The 1.4 Twin Charger produces 250 Nm @ 2,000 - 4,500 rpm ............. & 180 ps @ 6,200 & comes with DSG

I think the twincharger would maybe have gone in the Yeti if they kept producing them,

more likely will be the 'Deactivating Cylinder' engine that is in the Polo GT Blue.

Or whatever is going in the Hot Ibiza.

george

I started the post as have always fancied the Yeti as an alternative to mainstream body styles when I replace my current Octavia which goes well enough with the 122 bhp 1.4 TSI and DSG.

Ideally I would like to have 4WD to play with off tarmac, but for my real world needs 2WD would be fine, especially if you factor in a set of decent winter tyres when it gets really bad. (I have seen 4WDs sailing past on ice/hard packed snow with all four wheels locked and the driver gripping the wheel whilst looking stunned.)

I have not seen any road tests on the manual 1.4 2WD or seen any posts on MPG and performance on here.

Has anyone with a 1.4 Yeti got any comments on what the car is like with that engine, especially if you have tried the 1.2 as well?

Thanks

Why does it?

The best way to use 4x4 is where the power is low down the rev range, and with lots of torque, exactly what a diesel provides. Both the 1.2 and 1.4 petrols produce a very narrow power band at high revs, so to use the 4x4 system you would need to be slipping the clutches all the time.

Assuming the description of the car's behaviour on slippy surfaces is correct, it would make sense to have more possibilities for gaining traction. Modern 4wd systems with their electronic controls would surely do this.

Nice to see so many responses to a simple comment that my current preferred engine and DSG box may yet be fitted to the Yeti.

OK, I admit that the 4x4 that I saw was a big old Landcruiser, but the guy did look utterly astonished to be floating past at 15mph with no control and apparently did not know what to do next.

Whilst modern driving aids can greatly help in retaining control and are a reassuring back up, all wheel drive is potentially much more capable than 2wd, but the majority of UK drivers are only beginning to understand the benefits of winter tyres - myself included.

Although there will have been some keen folk used to driving up to the winter ski resorts in the Alps and Cairngorms, but we have probably all seen that some 4x4 drivers do think that they have unlimited traction whatever the conditions.

I agree that electronic aids do help, but the four small footprints of rubber in contact with the road(especially in ice & snow conditions) is the ultimate decider and too often 4x4s are compromised by the wide standard summer road tyres, as many Yeti drivers on here have commented.

My past reaction to ice and snow has been to get back under the duvet, but as I now have slim winter boots on our manual diesel manual Fabia Estate I may now be tempted to be more adventureous and leave the high revving summer shod Octavia DSG tucked up at home.

Cheers and safe motoring.

Skoda Auto website talking about producing Yeti with the 1.4 TSI petrol engine and 7 speed DSG box in 2 wheel drive form.

I have the Octavia with that set up and it is excellent, but a similar powered Yeti would be even better.

Any link?

Tests on the 1.4 vary in opinions eg http://www.motortorque.com/skoda-yeti-estate-(2009-on)-car-review-7736.aspx ... "Truth be told it feels a little underpowered in the Yeti for my liking" ... " with a quoted 41.5mpg. However we managed to return only 30.3mpg over what a brief drive that was, admittedly, more spirited than leisurely. "

PS yes the forum software parsed the link incorrectly so you'll need to cut n paste rather than click the link...

Edited by Totally Square

Thx!

.... Available immediately is the new engine-gearbox combination of the 1.4 TSI/90 kW with automatic seven-speed DSG double-clutch transmission DSG.

An interesting new safety feature for the ŠKODA Yeti is the optional fatigue recognition, which uses steering behaviour to assess the driver’s concentration level and trigger a warning message in the instrument display if necessary.

Also, an update for the Columbus navigation system is shipping, enabling reception of digital radio.

Finally, the new gearshift knob generation will be available for the Yeti from November 2012.

ŠKODA will be altering the designation of the ESP safety feature across the entire model palette from the new model year. It will henceforth be referred to as ESC – Electronic Stability Control.

In the colour programme, Aqua Blue will be discontinued and replaced by Shark Blue, which is slightly darker.

See also http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/248239-14tsi-dsg-yeti-confirmed/ with announcement at http://www.rushlane.com/skoda-in-moscow-rapid-yeti-sochi-unveiled-yeti-1-4-tsi-dsg-world-debut-1244043.html

Also debuting in Moscow is the Yeti 1.4 TSI DSG. This is the first time ever a combination of a 1.4 litre petrol engine and a double-clutch transmission is available in a ŠKODA Yeti. This compact SUV shines in its classy black magic "Elegance" trim, impressing with a powerful 90 kW engine and a convenient automated 7-speed double-clutch transmission. It will be launched in Russia in early 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about an engine, but maybe you should try with some winter tyres on, ha, ha.