Blackline niggles............

Oh one niggle i can think of although this may be universal to all facelift VRS II is that the Floor mats no longer have the twist lock mechanism that holds them down to the carpet. I cant think for the life of me why they have been omitted as these are a brill feature on my other VRS. stops them getting edge curl and being bent over and shoved out of place by the kids.

Really!?

The brand new vRS I sat in a few weeks ago had the plastic push fit clips on both the front mats (the rears had a rough underside instead that grips similar to velcro to the cars standard carpet)

The twist lock ones (Philips type) were discontinued years ago (my 2007 vRS has the twist lock ones in the rear) and replaced with the newer push fit versions used across the VAG range.

I'd be suprised if they weren't in the Blackline as I thought front and rear mats were standard factory fit specification in the UK..?

Edited by silver1011

Well my front mats maybe push fit but the rears are loose and some neanderthal at the factory or dealers got them mixed up left to right when we picked the car up and because the shape didn't fit the mat even though i have swapped them over to the correct side they have rememberd the odd shape they were

in and the edge is curled up meaning the kids kick them up while climbing in and out of the car. Im going to leave some weight on them

over night to try and force them flat but i think the twist lock was a much better idea would have avoided a mix up initially by the operative and

ensure they dont come up easily in future. My rear mats in my other 2005 VRS are still like new.

Yeah, I guess the push fit / twist lock system removal on the rear mats was a cost cutting exercise.

On my Octavia once they are pressed down onto the carpets they seem to stick pretty well.

I don't know for sure but I think all four mats are supplied in their packaging and are stored in the boot whilst being transported from the factory. The dealer then fits them during the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

Sounds to me as though the spanner monkey / valeter at the dealer has messed up.

Sticking them under something flat and heavy overnight should do the trick, if not I'd be back to the dealers for a new set...

Had mine for about 2 weeks now.

I think overall it's a good car.

MPG is roughly 46,47 as I was getting below 30 in my petrol vRS beforehand.

At the weekend however I did drive to London in it from Cheshire and then back again on Sunday and I experienced acute backache for a period of time after I got out of it.

Not sure if it's how I'm sitting or how the seat is, am guessing it will go away after the seats have been worn in some more.

Finding the Cruise Control a dream to use and so much more relaxed when driving long distances.

I wasn't actually aware that it didn't have a multi-function steering wheel and was somewhat dissapointed when I went to pick it up, but hey that's my own fault.

On the whole, it's just a brilliant car to drive :0)

On a side note, would like to get the bluetooth enabled on the amunsden + head unit. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

On a side note, would like to get the bluetooth enabled on the amunsden + head unit. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

See here, it'll take some reading!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/248259-has-anyone-been-given-a-delivery-date-for-the-blackline-octavia-vrs/page__st__1140__hl__+blackline#entry2996955

My views after owning one since early Oct.

1. Build quality is very good, imo on par with ford, nice German like stiffness

2. I expected with a diesel that acceleration would come in whilst moving, not from zero. Superb overtaking ability.

3. Gettin 50mpg motorways, 45 elsewhere, good for a performance car?

4. I like it, felt weird but I guessed why it's there

5. Once or twice had a reading as if I was going to hit something despite nothing there, put this down to rain on the sensor. Will keep an eye on this.

6. Love the seats, super comfy, wife would be first to complain but no comments. Only gripe I find elbow rest on door and jumbo box too high.

7. Never use it, use sd. Clean and simple.

8. Agreed no mfsw is bonkers and and don't want dsg. Using maxi dot menu options lets me do basic track changes but not ideal. Amunsden unit is excellent

9. For me headlights are just headlights not good or bad.

10. Love the handling, but low profile tyres can give a bumpy ride

11. No condensation, I leave climate control on auto most of the time, not sure if this makes a difference

12. No whistle

So my honest opinion, I like it, and think it was a good buy.

Edited by mattrixdesign2

Both of which will have an indeterminable effect.

Your kidding right? I have a 2005 and a 2012 the difference is quite noticeable older car being much softer all on OEM shocks and springs.

The springs as i have said previously become less stiff with age. and the tyres become more supple with temperature change and age. Also

the tyre make & construction could be a factor, I would say its pretty significant.

• Like 1

I agree and disagree on some of the OP points.

Build quality i agree is a bit iffy but then most car manufacturers are getting the same its reducing costs and maximising profits its a business

MPG i dunno about a diesel but as its getting colder it will drop, my TFSI has been gobsmacking at times 40+mpg on a long run i cant argue.

Handle is a tough one its a fine line between making it "sporty" as its marketed a sporty car but not this jarring ride most seem to have

Seats are awful no other word for it.

Overall its an ok car, would i buy another? no purely on the dealership network and customer service which is letting the brand down

interesting sweeping statement

i looked at a used white vrs diesel for 17 grand. Paid 18 grand for a new one with leather, parking sensors and DAB. I was in the market anyway so it was a no brainer for me.

Im not sure why you would buy a standard one when you can get one with those extras for nothing?

Bit obvious isn't it?? Why would anyone pay for a car if it has a load of features you don't want and can't specify the ones you DO want?

I did say I didn't know what the price difference was, but whatever it is, it's hardly likely to tempt someone who can't have what they want, is it?

It's not exactly rocket science and I don't think it's a sweeping statement. Just think it's a bit gash cos you get hardly anything that I would spec on the car and can't choose the things I would actually want, like xenons.

Each to their own, but it's not an appealing car to me for, what is judging by the normal vrs, the price it must be.

Each to their own, but it's not an appealing car to me for, what is judging by the normal vrs, the price it must be.

Your disproving your own logic. The blackline costs the same as a Bog standard VRS yet you get

loads of extras with the blackline. Lets put aside for a minute the exclusivity of owning 1 of only 500 vehicles

you still get Loads of goodies for Zero £ extra. Its a no-brainer and to suggest that you would by a standard

one because you can spec Xenons is nonsensical. You could fit better aftermarket bulbs to a blackline and

still be better off. Only reason i can think of not getting a blackline and buying the standard VRS is if you find

Black, Blue or White simiply respulsive as a body colour.

I must say that after 500 miles, the car is exactly what I expected it to be. Not had any of the OP's issues, so far :sweat:

I came from a mk5 ibiza bocanegra and the skoda is miles above that in terms of build quality etc, albeit slower. Perhaps if i had traded in an Audi I may have felt different.

Sorry Thehulkster your not happy with your car.

Edited by sly200sx

The advantages of a black line are obvious, sat nav/media, leather, rear park sensors, dab, wheels, all at no extra cost. I didn't add them up at the time but they must be worth 1.5k (rough guess), couple this with vat off, less 500, plus free three years service... Its a bargain, especially when used ones I was looking at with 12k-15k miles were only £2k cheaper lacked similar features and perks.

At the time I didn't understand the consequence of not choosing dsg, would lead to no mfsw! But even with hindsight would have perhaps made the same decision.

My real issue was them choosing not to enable and ship with a bt microphone... It would have costt them pennies. Still MFD was a nice bonus.

Great car, great price, great fun to drive, great practicality... Ticks lot of boxes for me, I am happy, sorry that the OP isn't.

Had my Blackline a month now, and one of my reversing sensors has also packed up. I get a continuous beep whenever I select reverse. Being fixed under warranty.

A minor niggle hopefully. Love the car. Microphone ordered for the telephone, and someone not too far away to enable the Bluetooth.

To anyone interested, whilst I was at the dealers today there is a Blackline estate in white, DSG still for sale. (I asked the salesman) Not sure though if its petrol or diesel. Westgate Skoda, Grimsby

Had my Blackline a month now, and one of my reversing sensors has also packed up. I get a continuous beep whenever I select reverse. Being fixed under warranty.

A minor niggle hopefully. Love the car. Microphone ordered for the telephone, and someone not too far away to enable the Bluetooth.

To anyone interested, whilst I was at the dealers today there is a Blackline estate in white, DSG still for sale. (I asked the salesman) Not sure though if its petrol or diesel. Westgate Skoda, Grimsby

Blacklines are ALL diesel

Only reason i can think of not getting a blackline and buying the standard VRS is if you find

Or you want a petrol.

Or xenon headlights, curtain airbags, front parking sensors, sunroof, Columbus sat nav, heated front seats, auto lights and wipers etc. etc.

• Like 3

Just came back in from being out to find all these comments.

Wow, I may have opened a can of worms!

To the guy who suggested I have bought a VRS without driving one.....I test drove a white demo that was a year old with about 12,000 miles on the clock. From that test drive I decided to buy. I was very impressed with the punchy performance. But the price of that demo was only £1000 cheaper than a new Blackline, so it was a no-brainer in which to buy.

But my car doesn't feel like the demo standard-VRS at all in terms of performance. It's like mine is a 140bhp engine!

But my car doesn't feel like the demo standard-VRS at all in terms of performance. It's like mine is a 140bhp engine!

Its common for dealers to remap the Demo test drive cars i know this as i have bought two of them both were remaped

using a laptop although not sure how as they didn't have revo chips or anything just a softtware map. But they defo a bit

sharper throttle response than standard. This could be the issue or sometimes its just a phsycological thing.

After a while driving my car its seams to get slower. I then get in a hire car from work get back in mine and it seams

like a rocket ship again. Aside from that you could have a friday afternoon dog im afraid some cars are just doomed

from leaving the production line i think. Although its most likely the first two things i mentioned.

Your kidding right? I have a 2005 and a 2012 the difference is quite noticeable older car being much softer all on OEM shocks and springs.

The springs as i have said previously become less stiff with age. and the tyres become more supple with temperature change and age. Also

the tyre make & construction could be a factor, I would say its pretty significant.

Handling will not improve with age; certainly not over 7 years and 100k miles. It will get worse as it gets softer. The original post i replied to suggested handling would improve over time as the suspension settled. This would be indeterminate in terms of any improved handling over say 6 months or 5k miles. That's my opinion having owned 3 octy vRS's, 2 of which ran standard suspension.

Or you want a petrol.

Or xenon headlights, curtain airbags, front parking sensors, sunroof, Columbus sat nav, heated front seats, auto lights and wipers etc. etc.

But again and i think its important to mention the above are extra's and dread to think of the cost. I am talking like for like price wise. If price

wasn't a factor we wouldn't be having this conversation he would have probably like me had an Audi RS5 or something else.

Ill say again if you have £18k to spend on a new skoda you would buy a Blackline and not a bog standard VRS.

Or you want a petrol.

Exactly!!

These specials are great if they have extras that you actually want or if they add icing to the basic cake - they can be a bargain.

Personally I wouldn't pay tuppence for an in-car sat-nav because I need one that I can transfer from car to car and can keep up to date at minimal cost. If I was buying a car that gave me one for free then it falls under "icing on the cake" but if it stops me from specifying what FOR ME is a must-have extra then that car is no longer a bargain FOR ME. That doesn't stop it being a bargain for someone else and good luck to that someone else for getting his/her bargain.

When I bought this car I was looking for a Corrida Red Elegance 1.8 TSi with DSG. Went to place my order and there it was: brand new sitting in the showroom but had extras that I would never have specified - leather, sports supension and 17" wheels. I summed up these unwanted extras plus the advantage of no wait for delivery and decided they were worth the very reasonable small extra on the price of my preferred spec. So for me it was a bargain - but if I had REALLY wanted Xenons and a sunroof...

• Like 1

Your disproving your own logic. The blackline costs the same as a Bog standard VRS yet you get

loads of extras with the blackline. Lets put aside for a minute the exclusivity of owning 1 of only 500 vehicles

you still get Loads of goodies for Zero £ extra. Its a no-brainer and to suggest that you would by a standard

one because you can spec Xenons is nonsensical. You could fit better aftermarket bulbs to a blackline and

still be better off. Only reason i can think of not getting a blackline and buying the standard VRS is if you find

Don't get me wrong if I was buying my VRS now I would have got a blackline for the reasons above but on the exclusivity side...... My VRS was built to my spec for me that to me is more exclusive than not getting a choice on the options list. I am gutted they didn't number them 1of500 etc in the cars like they did on Mk1 Fabia VRS on its limited editions etc that would have to me given it some exclusivity.

Rightly or wrongly as I see the Blackline its the end of the line for current shape Octy VRS and they had a look around their stock and went "no one has really ordered these black Neptunes we just started and they wont be on the new shape one" "we have loads of leather seats knocking about still as many were happy with the standard ones and they are not going in the new one" "that Amundsen stereo again hasn't been around the UK market much and few have them in as the Bolero was a great standard head unit and the Columbus is better (bar DAB)" "we might as well fire in rear parking sensors while we are at it this can be our traditional end of line run special edition" If it had a Blackline badge on it somewhere or were numbered etc etc I would say its exclusive but to me its just the end of the Mk2 FL VRS chapter and a bargain basement clear out. All involved have had a cracking deal though and no one can knock the freebies, it has been said above you get what you pay for but in the Blackline case this is true and then some.

Exactly!!

These specials are great if they have extras that you actually want or if they add icing to the basic cake - they can be a bargain.

Personally I wouldn't pay tuppence for an in-car sat-nav because I need one that I can transfer from car to car and can keep up to date at minimal cost. If I was buying a car that gave me one for free then it falls under "icing on the cake" but if it stops me from specifying what FOR ME is a must-have extra then that car is no longer a bargain FOR ME. That doesn't stop it being a bargain for someone else and good luck to that someone else for getting his/her bargain.

When I bought this car I was looking for a Corrida Red Elegance 1.8 TSi with DSG. Went to place my order and there it was: brand new sitting in the showroom but had extras that I would never have specified - leather, sports supension and 17" wheels. I summed up these unwanted extras plus the advantage of no wait for delivery and decided they were worth the very reasonable small extra on the price of my preferred spec. So for me it was a bargain - but if I had REALLY wanted Xenons and a sunroof...

Indeed. I would have gladly had the blackline extras but chose not to as the only extra I couldn't go without was curtain air bags and it didn't have it .