Has anybody gone from Xenons back to Halogen?

I had the reverse situation. I had a Yeti SE and traded up to a Yeti Elegance that happened to be in the showroom (Cancelled order - no wait). I have to say that the Xenons are probably the best bit of the extra kit and I wouldn't want to go back. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the wife's Fabia SE when it's time to change just for the Xenons.

How much night driving (in areas without street lighting) do you really do?

While Xenons are nice to have, unless you do a lot of higher speed driving at night I have to question if they really are a "necessity". I say this from having many, many years of driving in all conditions at all times of day & night (I work for one of the emergency services) and our vehicles are all fitted with standard halogen lights. If the driving that you do in darkness, outside of street lit areas is minimal then I would argue that Xenons would not be as important as they would be if you do a lot of that type of journey.

If I was specifying a new (personal) car from factory I would consider Xenon lights, but for me (and based on us not doing that many miles in unlit dark roads) they would have to be a relatively cheap option as Halogen lights have been fine for me for over 20 years.

• Like 1

While Xenons are nice to have, unless you do a lot of higher speed driving at night I have to question if they really are a "necessity". I say this from having many, many years of driving in all conditions at all times of day & night (I work for one of the emergency services) and our vehicles are all fitted with standard halogen lights. If the driving that you do in darkness, outside of street lit areas is minimal then I would argue that Xenons would not be as important as they would be if you do a lot of that type of journey.

If I was specifying a new (personal) car from factory I would consider Xenon lights, but for me (and based on us not doing that many miles in unlit dark roads) they would have to be a relatively cheap option as Halogen lights have been fine for me for over 20 years.

Agree absolutely. I don't see what the fuss is all about with both Xenons and DRLs, but maybe my night vision is good. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than £100 for the marginal visibility advantage they give versus the cost/liability they bring with them. Of course there's also a lift in residual values which offsets the additional cost and which should be factored in, but is likely to be of monetary value only off the Xenons form part of the trim level.Having your lights on doesn't give you any right of way on the motorway or otherwise, and this is one of the reasons I dislike DRLs too and would only buy a car where they can be turned off e.g. through VCDS. I hasten to add that they are of use in certain circumstances where I use them on a temporary basis e.g. in a shower on the motorway where the "auto" setting would put dipped headlights on if necessary. I suspect this user override will disappear through regulation.

Where I live, street lights are a rarity!

marginal visibility advantage they give versus the cost/liability they bring with them.

Ahhh.....There's a statement from someone who's never has Xenon headlights.

Replace the word "marginal" with "immense" and you're closer to the truth. I'm not sure what cost/liability you are referring to. Sure, Xenon bulbs cost three times the price of a decent Halogen bulbs, but they have three times the lifetime.....so cost the same to run.

Xenons are that good, they should (and maybe someday will) be made compulsory.

• Like 2

But isn't the levelling motor itself the same as those fitted to halogens, the only difference been that the input to the levelling motors is controlled by sensors under the car instead of the thumb wheel on the dash...

I'm pretty certain the xenon motor is three wire and the halogen motor two wire...???

...I would love to change the Fabia to xenon/HID but I don't think I should. I have been looking for a trashed Fabia II with xenons to maybe retro fit the headlights to our car.

Xenons have never been an option on UK Fabia IIs. The xenons we have in our Octavia are terrific, as were those in the Audi A6 we had before that. On damp, dark unlit roads they really prove their worth and show up the standard halogens in my Fabia (although hopefully uprated bulbs will help)

Edited by JulieD

Xenons have never been an option on UK Fabia IIs. The xenons we have in our Octavia are terrific, as were those in the Audi A6 we had before that. On damp, dark unlit roads they really prove their worth and show up the standard halogens in my Fabia (although hopefully uprated bulbs will help)

I have nightbreaker bulbs in the Fabia but only a slight improvement, I know what you mean about xenons as my Yeti has them, they are really good and should be standard on all cars IMO

Some time ago a group of us lined up 5 Octavia IIs with different headlight bulbs, so we could rate them ourselves...

If the standard bulbs are 1x, we reckoned that the OEM Xenons were 3x

Osram Nightbreakers were 1.8

Philips Xtremes were 1.9

Bosch Pure Visions were 2.1

So even the best of the halogens didn't really come close. Having said that, I have Philips Xtremes in my Octy 1 and have found them to be more than adequate.

I do a lot of motorway, and a lot of night driving.

I have been on the M3 & M25 this evening, and you can see in front of you which cars do and dont have Xenons.

It is not the B all and end all of my decision, but it is important.

Do I presume it is posisble for a dealer to change from standard lights to Xenons? do you know if it uses the same cabling?

Got xenon's on our Scout, but halogens on my A4, which I drive the most. Whilst I really like the look of the xenon's, I wouldn't say not having them would be a reason for not buying a car (enough double negatives in there?!). The thing I miss the most is the lack of AFS on the Audi, as it's funny how quickly you get used to having it on country lanes and other unlit roads. I would say if the offer is a good one, then forego the xenon's and be happy that you've got yourself a great deal on a lovely car.

If you live somewhere where street lighting is a rarity, ie anywhere rural and have to drive outside of daylight hours, then as so many have said, its a no brainer.

There are lots of decent kits at not much money - the same as mine are less than £40, fit inside the lamp enclosure and work brilliantly, both on back roads and domestic and foreign motorways. I had the beam alignment checked when I fitted them and I've not had any flashes in two years,

I see plenty of hids, but I find vans and 4x4 by far the worst for dazzling me with their "normal" halogens.

I was in the dealers yesterday (as my car has been off the road all week.)

When I was there I saw the showroom model Superb SE Plus at what i think is the most silly price (cheaper than my L&K when i got it)

I said to the saleman that if he could get me in the car at the same monthly that I am paying, he has a deal.

When I got home I realsied that the SE plus does not have Xenons. One of the things I like most about my car is the visibility with the lights.

has anybody changed back from Xenons to Hallogens as I said I never would.

I have owned xenons in two cars in the past and didnt rate them. They came fitted as standard so i was happy to have them but they didnt illuminate any more of the road ahead than the standard halogens. They were brighter but had no additional range so IMO were pointless. Given the choice i would have them over halogens but i would never in a million years pay extra for them. The light units themselves can generally look nicer but the projector halogens on my VRS look the same so it depends on the car. I certailny wouldnt pick or not pick a car based on whether it had xenons or not as for me they are irrelevant. A nice to have but no more and certainly not essential otherwise how does everyone without them survive?

Pick the car you want at the best price but xenons are of little to no importance. Things like auto box, cruise control and parking sensors are essentil items in my book, i couldnt give a stuff about xenons. In fact the two cars i had with them were not the cars with the best lights i have ever used. As someone else said its how the available light is projected or reflected i.e beam spread that matters rather than ultimate brightness as all dipped beams have a limited range anyway.

Some people swear by them and if thats you then why even bother asking the question in the first place?

If you live somewhere where street lighting is a rarity, ie anywhere rural and have to drive outside of daylight hours, then as so many have said, its a no brainer.

There are lots of decent kits at not much money - the same as mine are less than £40, fit inside the lamp enclosure and work brilliantly, both on back roads and domestic and foreign motorways. I had the beam alignment checked when I fitted them and I've not had any flashes in two years,

I see plenty of hids, but I find vans and 4x4 by far the worst for dazzling me with their "normal" halogens.

Not true. Its all unlit rural roads where i live and xenons are no benefit. You need full beams and my car has them as standard along with my halogens.

A quick question does one or both of your hids for no apparent reason turn off when you go to high beam, showing a bulb out on the dash, I am having this problem at the moment, so a quick turn off of the lights brings them back on again.

Are yours none canbus or canbus friendly ones??

Edited by skippy41

From Skippy41,

A quick question does one or both of your hids for no apparent reason turn off when you go to high beam, showing a bulb out on the dash, I am having this problem at the moment, so a quick turn off of the lights brings them back on again.

Are yours none canbus or canbus friendly ones??

No, have never turned themselves off. I do occasionally have a bulb warning light, but only if the tunnel lights are left on at shut down. A restart and a fiddle with the high/dip sorts it. Have you checked the lamp is actually going out?

Finally, no, they are not the canbus friendly variety, Hauptman on here coded for non shuttered.

Jockdooshbag wrote,

"Not true. Its all unlit rural roads where i live and xenons are no benefit. You need full beams and my car has them as standard along with my halogens."

I maybe not true for you. How ever on all the rural roads I have driven on, here and in a few countries in Europe it works for me. The back roads round here are reasonable twisty, and have a fair bit of wildlife lurking, so speeds which DEMAND main beam are generally not attainable, and only illuminate the top of the hedge at the outside of the next bend.

Perhaps the ones you have are particularly bad. Mine are an order of magnitude better, the spread is actually what makes mine so good to drive behind.

During the research I did before getting mine, several sites were able to demonstrate different beam patterns, cutoffs and the like. Also there are the significantly more powerful 50w or even 70w hids to consider.

I have some Osram "super" halogens for the main beam, and in comparison, are rubbish.

After 10 days of driving other cars (leon and a Roomster) I am now back in my L&K with Xeonons, and there is a significant difference.

The car I am looking at is the SE plus Superb. sat in at again today, and still thinking about it, however the elegance has a lot higher spec for not a lot more money, including the Xenons.

Will see what deal I can do, or I may just stick to my L&K.

"Unable to use the quote feature again but booke23 wrote:

"Ahhh.....There's a statement from someone who's never has Xenon headlights.

Replace the word "marginal" with "immense" and you're closer to the truth. I'm not sure what cost/liability you are referring to. Sure, Xenon bulbs cost three times the price of a decent Halogen bulbs, but they have three times the lifetime.....so cost the same to run.

Xenons are that good, they should (and maybe someday will) be made compulsory."

Ahhh.....(as in Bisto? or bu11sh:t?), then you don't know that as well as currently owning another car which came with them as standard, I've owned at least a couple of others with them as standard and had a company car with them too.

I'm not arguing that they're not better than Halogen; just that the premium for them is disproportionate. They're also more costly to repair e.g. after an accident or to get a car through its MOT, and I see them as a liability in a car out of warranty.

They're a bit like HDTV or (mobile) broadband in my opinion. I can cope fine with SDTV, 1/4 Meg broadband and my first mobile data allowance of a whole 5Mb per month was more than adequate a few years ago. 4G is a bit like the Emperor's new clothes.