MK2 Fabia vRS Dipstick.

Ootohere

A simple question i hope.

If you dip the oil level on your vRS engine,

'What mark on the dipstick does it show at when the oil is cold and the engine has not been run for several hours?

george

eg

A vRS Dipstick from another thread,

dipped hot & at a level lower than i ever have with 3.6 litres of oil in and checked when the oil is hot,

5 minutes after stopping.

EDIT Update & a picture of a cold dip on a new engine.

My Question is not about a Dip in Hot OIl, but where it is on the stick with Cold Oil.

I am interested in how much oil many Techs appear to turn vRS out of workshops with when they check the level..

I believe you can not check the oil level correctly when cold.

so thinking if people can see the oil level below the top orange marker when cold oil, the oil quantity is too low in the engine.

It would be nice to know what the cold level is on others engines, when they know they have the correct oil level.

george

The oil is going to expand when hot but only a small amount, not as much as water would. Personally I'll only ever check oil when cold. Run the engine for a minute, switch it off, wait a minute and check. But never top up to the maximum mark so you know you're not overfilling it.

SECCY, is it a MK2 vRS you have?

Where is your oil level on the stick when cold & where is it when the oil is at Normal running temperature & then left for a few minutes?

The question is not because of 'Overfilling', more than 3.6 litres of oil,

but because so many vRS are apprently running low in oil.

A few are using lots of oil, and the procedure for checking means that unless checked hot, you can not be sure of the oil level.

george

A VW Polo Owners Hand Book which reads different from a Fabia Owners Hand Book, (Better Translation than from the CZ possibly, still not great tho IMHO.)

Well we will see when some vRS owners tell us where the cold level is & the level in the way checked as laid out in the Skoda Fabia Owners Manual.

A dipstick is not just a dipstick in this case,

dip a MK2 vRS and see.

It is a thing of great mystery. JMO.

I am not asking for my own reasons, i have no issues and check the oil level in my car and have a consistant level and the correct amount of oil on board.

george

SECCY, is it a MK2 vRS you have?

Where is your oil level on the stick when cold & where is it when the oil is at Normal running temperature & then left for a few minutes?

The question is not because of 'Overfilling', more than 3.6 litres of oil,

but because so many vRS are apprently running low in oil.

A few are using lots of oil, and the procedure for checking means that unless checked hot, you can not be sure of the oil level.

george

No but I am familiar with the CAVE engine you have. I'd imagine on a very hot engine it would be slightly higher but should never be as high as the orange marker.

Everyone probably checks their oil differently and hardly ever as the handbook advices, I've seen plenty of people checking the oil level on a stone cold engine without starting it and letting in run round the engine first.. That is probably giving the most inaccurate readings I would have thought.

So have you done this comparison between hot and cold on yours?

SECCY, i have done measured oil changes and the Skoda weigh test.

Both my cars were Skoda Returns & the one i drive has a rebuilt engone after 4000 miles, now done 15,000 miles.

I bought them because they were cheap as rejects because of high oil usage.

Yes done many Cold & Hot comparisons but my vehicle uses no oil.

This is The reason i am asking others.

If you are familiar with the engine, you will know that with 3.6 litres of cold oil in the sump, the level on the Dipstick is high, above the markers at the Orange top marker.

When Hot, the oil is not all back in the sump after a few minutes,

it is still around the engine.

You get a reading on the dipstick on the markings.

Or so i believe and observe,

hence asking for others observations.

* Simply asking, where does the cold oil level show on their dipsticks, ??

not the theory just the actual point on the Dipstick.*

george

Changed my oil + filter last week. Refilled with 3.6 litres of Quantum Platinum 5w/40. Engine run up to operating temp. Left 10 minutes. Dipstick shows level at top of section "A". Left overnight shows virtually same level, maybe a smidge higher. Oil doesn't expand much when hot. If the level is up around the orange plastic area I would say it's got way too much in it. Car always comes back from Skoda after servicing with oil at the top of "A"

Edited by Mosquito

Thanks,

that is exactly why i am asking.

& asking those that have looked at levels Cold ,

really just interested in the cold level from those that knows they are running at the correct amount of oil & unstarted where it is on the stick.

Not looking for expansion,

just distribution still of oil in the engine for quite a while after topping/filling, running hot, then stopping and checking.

& an idea of what is put in at Service & vehicles new leaving after a PDI.

Because i put in the Catrol Edge 5w 30 & the Mobile 1 5w 30 myself & know the cold level

& then know that when hot and checked it is at the correct level & when dropped it drops the correct amount.

Thats from the experience of me also dropping twice, the Dealership serviced Quantum that had not enough oil in

& had the engine oil running hotter.

george

Ok, I park my car on a slight slope, I always face it uphill so it is about as close to level as possible.

I checked it yesterday at a place that is level, run up to 84c and left for 5 minutes before checking. The oil on the dipstick was at the top of the hatched area.

I have just checked it cold on my slight slope, not run the engine at all, been left overnight and the oil is exactly at the top of the hatched area.

Tomorrow I will run up to 84c (or as close as), leave it for 5 minutes on my slight slope and check again, I will then report back with the result.

Silly owners manual is to blame. Worst description of how to check oil level i have ever seen. Why not just calibrate the dipstick to give a conventional "cold" reading. Suppose a "hot" reading will give a more accurate reading over a range of climatic conditions, but they would have to be extreme conditions to cause a problem.

I am just away to drop the oil & do a change to Castrol Edge 5w 40, going to measure what comes out.

Its Mobile 1 & done 3500 miles of easy and not so easy running,

blacker than the previous oils used, but this is only in the last 500 miles or so..

Nothing wrong with it.

This morning the dipstick checked and it was 2 degrees celsius outside,

oil was just below the top orange marker.

(didnt bother with a picture it was still dark.)

first picture stick with oil @ 86 degrees after 20 miles, waited just 5 minutes.

another 30 minutes later oil was showing at 52 degrees on the car & that is the level on the stick.

(the white powder on the stick is not laughing powder!)

george

Just went and checked mine its about 4 or 5 mm over the hatched area and the car is stone cold having been left overnight

When I checked and topped it up at the weekend it was 2 or 3mm into the hatched area

I am presuming the supercharger and turbo hold a bit of oil which drains down over time, hence the need to check it when hot

To me it sounds like you are running a low level of oil,

(if that is what it usually sits at, that could well be correct)

but that was kind of why i was asking others of their experience.

I have changed the filter & drained 3.5 litres of oil, & refilled with 3.5 litres, run it for 15 miles

& now sitting cooled down the level is between the top of the hatch & the top orange blob.

I will check it later after a longer run & put a little more in if it requires it.

george

With my vRS parked on level ground: -

• Engine cold and left standing all day - oil level 3/4 the way up the hatched area of dip stick
  • Engine hot (87 deg. C) and 5 minutes after switching off - oil level 1/2 the way up the hatched area of dip stick

In my experience service technicians tend to overfill, both on initial delivery and after the 10,000 mile service. Checking when engine is hot is the correct method.

• Like 1

Just been for 17 mile drive, temperature up to 85c

On the slight slope outside my house, left for 5 minutes and it was HALF WAY up the hatched area.

This compares with my cold reading yesterday on the slight slope of TOP of the hatched area.

Drove about half a mile, oil temp 85c

On level ground, left for 5 minutes and it was at the TOP of the hatched area.

Just went and checked mine its about 4 or 5 mm over the hatched area and the car is stone cold having been left overnight

When I checked and topped it up at the weekend it was 2 or 3mm into the hatched area

I am presuming the supercharger and turbo hold a bit of oil which drains down over time, hence the need to check it when hot

Checked today when fully hot and it was bang on the top of the hatched area, so dropped about 5mm from cold to hot

With my vRS parked on level ground: -

• Engine cold and left standing all day - oil level 3/4 the way up the hatched area of dip stick
  • Engine hot (87 deg. C) and 5 minutes after switching off - oil level 1/2 the way up the hatched area of dip stick

In my experience service technicians tend to overfill, both on initial delivery and after the 10,000 mile service. Checking when engine is hot is the correct method.

My car acts exactly the same way even if it is not Vrs. Plus I used to check oil level only when car was cold for over ten years. I am totally confused but I think I will survive.

• 1 month later...

Quick update, another 500 miles covered (total 1508), checked on the level, oil temp 89c after 5 minutes and dipstick showing 1/3rd of the hatched area covered, topped up with 250ml which took it to the top of hatched area, another approx 50 ml to top of the 'A' area.

Total oil used now approx 1800ml in 1508 miles.

Dealer is keeping track, manual says 0.5ml per 1000km, mine is above that at the moment, the second 500 miles was way too high, the first and third 500 mile segments are about right I think?