accidentally bought sports suspension...

That's the whole point, I think he wants to raise more than that, unless I'm getting my wires crossed

Er yeah, a 2 inch increase would be better though a 2 cm one would do (said the actress to the bishop) . That said winter is coming :bandit: so I need to figure my options for winter wheels/tyres if I'm hanging onto it for any time. Had it been std suspension I'd have gone down to 15" on winters but maybe 16's would be cheap enough.

• Like 1

Looks like you bought a similar car to one I had a few years back - an Octy Elegance with 17" pegasus alloys and standard sports suspension. Great car, handled, and went like....but not as quick as the current vRS. Don't be tempted to dump some asphalt on the join between the road and the pavement as the Council will be on your case for messing with "their highway"....

In terms of the speedo reading, it has an option to change the speedo by +/- 5 mph for winter tyres on the info display so as I normally drive on GPS anyhow that should sort it.

The +/- 5mph for winter tyres on maxidot is to set a speed warning (on account of winter tyres typically having a lower speed rating than normal summer tyres). It will not affect the reading of the speedometer or odometer.

I decided to replace my elderly Mk1 with a Mk2 elegance hatch. Somehow I've ended up with a 55 plate with sports suspension and 17" rims with low profile tyres. To be honest I only realised when I got it home and scraped the nose on my driveway.

That's very strange, My Sport will get onto our drive with no problems, where as my wifes Oct'y mk1 always scraps the bottom of the bumper.

The +/- 5mph for winter tyres on maxidot is to set a speed warning (on account of winter tyres typically having a lower speed rating than normal summer tyres). It will not affect the reading of the speedometer or odometer.

Ah, thanks. Drive on gps then!

I decided to replace my elderly Mk1 with a Mk2 elegance hatch. Somehow I've ended up with a 55 plate with sports suspension and 17" rims with low profile tyres. To be honest I only realised when I got it home and scraped the nose on my driveway. I thought they were just a set of aftermarket alloys that I could just swop out with some 16" standards.

The inside is immaculate but I really would rather not have the lowered suspension and I'd like to smaller rims, mainly for winters but also for the cost of rubber.

So, either I sell it on immediately (any takers) or what can I do to increase ground clearance but go to smaller rims?

Have you gone back to the dealer to see if he'll swap it for you (assuming you didn't buy private) That may be a relatively cheap option and if the dealer is any good they may see that as an advantage long term as you'd be more likely to buy another?

cheers

Ade

swapping over to 205/55/16 wheels/tyres should be fine as there is only 2mm difference to diameter compared to your current 17" ones so it wouldn't make much difference to the speedo reading, see below link for checking your tyre size comparison.

http://www.etyres.co...-calculator.htm

The etyres calculator suggests I could go to 195/65 R15 with the same overall diameter exactly (trying not to lose that 2mm.) Er any ideas if a 15" wheel will fit over the brakes?

?????

Surely that would mess up the milometer reading, one way or the other?

He can put 205/50R17 instead of the 225/45R17

or

Get the normal suspension springs and keep the 17" wheels then it will look like the Scout

Edited by alberg

The sports suspension only lowers the Octavia by 13mm if I remember correctly. More likely the length of overhangs that are causing grounding. I have similar problem on my drive. Levels off right at the bottom and when my current Octavia with sports suspension is at the bottom I can only just get my hand under the front. Last car was a standard Octavia and that was barely any different - still scraped my knuckles on the ground washing under the front!

With my standard Mk 1 Octavia, I managed to scrape the front bumper against kerbs on a couple of occasions. With my Mk II L&K on sport suspension, I seem to have managed to take more care, touch wood. Sadly, I have managed to mark one of the 17" Pegasus alloys against the "rustic" kerbstones along Plymouth Hoe Road, whose uneven edging defeats the protection of the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres that feature a Rim Protection Ridge.

Advice from a Continental Tyres consultant (at a talk on Winter tyres that I attended last year) is that while you can consider going down a wheel size, they don't endorse going down from 17" to 15" unless that size is specifically stated as an option for that variant of car. I've not managed to establish whether 15" rims are approved for use on my L&K.

My info was that the 'Sport' spring was 10mm lower than the usual Octy suspension.

As said already, changing wheels won't really make too much difference. Std Elegance was 205/55/16, so the overall circumference is virtually identical.

Clearly the issue is the 1cm suspension drop, which is where you're noticing the driveway egress issue. So I would find some std Octy springs and get those fitted. There were some for sale here the other week IIRC.

Oh, and you're front brakes are 288mm.

Advice from a Continental Tyres consultant (at a talk on Winter tyres that I attended last year) is that while you can consider going down a wheel size, they don't endorse going down from 17" to 15" unless that size is specifically stated as an option for that variant...

Any idea why? 15's seem fairly normal on octavias.

I have 16" with 205/55R16 and option of 15" and 17" on cars title.

15" come on Greenline versions

16" standart on elegance and as option with 17"

17" standart on Sport versions

I'm sure there is a setting on the dash for different diameter tyres - for when you change to winter rims/tyres. IIRC you input a percentage of what was on as standard.

The setting is in my maxidot.

I've got 17" and sports suspension and I find it fine. Handling better than my previous vRS TDi as well due to lighter engine / gearbox. Still not enough roll stiffness at the rear though for me.... If it was my own car I would have changed the rear anti roll bar on both of them.

Edited by vRS Ian

I have 16" with 205/55R16 and option of 15" and 17" on cars title.

I can't find anything that says what size rims are allowed. The inside of the fuel cap has size/pressure chart for 15 up to 18s so who knows!

I decided to spend £10 and bought a 15" steel wheel to check. Then got a phone back from the local dealer saying they didn't think 15" would give enough brake clearance. I fitted the 15 anyhow and it does clear the brakes with about a 1 cm gap all round.

So now still confused! It's about £40 a corner difference in price for 15s v 16s on mytyres.

By the way, driven 300 miles now, handles really well but rather noisy. Loved the heated seats this morning and unlike my Mk1 the demist seems to actually work, or maybe it's just dryer inside :whew:

I'm sure there is a setting on the dash for different diameter tyres - for when you change to winter rims/tyres. IIRC you input a percentage of what was on as standard.

The setting is in my maxidot.

That setting in maxidot is a speed warning because winter tyres have a lower speed rating. Works just like the speed warning in the main menu - you input the max speed allowed on the tyres and it bongs and flashes if you go over. Pretty pointless with our 70mph limit but essential on the German Autobahns.