Brrrrrrr!

Norse

That was some speed you were going at when you took the photo........

I'd love to trade places with you, sadly I cannot. I have done a couple courses over there near (I think if memory serves me right and excuse the spelling) (the?) Hardangavidda. It was geat, got to the top of one mountain only to find the mountain top cafe was under 3-4 foot of snow! :'( However, we still manage to get burnt to shreds from the glare of the sun on the snow :giggle:

• Like 1

I would also trade places with you.

But I would need a mortgage to be able to afford the cost of living.

Sandy, that's about 50mph but I reckon that the Norsemen are used to driving on the white stuff.

Reckon there might be studded tyres involved too?

I saw a temperature as low as that last winter, when driving my vRS Fabia down some snow-covered country tracks in Northants, in search of short-eared owls. Was so cold, I had to open the window to pull the door open from the outside! Several of the photographers that day were almost stranded when their handbrakes froze on, and getting back up the hill after the light had gone was, eventful... took me 3 attempts, though the first 2 were abandoned when the Vectra in front of me failed and slid backwards.

I'd hope that the Yeti was more capable in such conditions, with its 4 seasons tyres. Not had any of the white stuff down here yet to try though...

Edited by Duck_Pond

... I had to open the window to pull the door open from the outside! Several of the photographers that day were almost stranded when their handbrakes froze on...

Ah yes the stuff we forget to do when it gets proper cold. No handbrake, in gear. Wipers off glass. Lube locks and shut rubbers. Anything else?

I remember mats/old carpet on string, but now no one has the sort of bumper you can tie them to, a bit redundant maybe. Collapsible snow shovel instead? or winter tyres? Blanket+ thermos? Extra clothes.

Last time I was stuck, I was amazed how many people got out of their cars in shirt sleeves.

Edited by nickguzzi

Don't worry about the speed, the road was dry and snow free. The ice cold weather here these days is due to wind blowing from Siberia, and it's going to last as far as the meteorologists are saying.

Driving on snow is no sweat at all, as long as you know what you're doing. Meaning reduced speeds, caution and good winter tyres. I've been driving without studded tyres for years without any trouble. But during the few days in winter when the roads are sheer ice, you definitely don't want to go faster than jogging speed.

Being outside these days require some serious clothing head to toe, or you can of course spend your time indoors :-)

And of course no diesel engine that never heats up the car

16,5 celcius below yesterday, 21 at a friends house further up the valley. If anyone in southern Europe wants to trade places, I'm more than happy

...and IS south (of Norway, that is)! :smirk:

Around -10 C here as well (for about a week now). And - of course winter tires! Mostly driving in the city, we use studded DUNLOP Ice Touch. Hardcore! ;)

dunlop-ice-touch.jpg

Edited by Hirundo

This was my driveway after I had cleared the snow...

Oh no.. someone parked in your drive :giggle:

That's a lot of white stuff. All being well Jana gets her winter boots tomorrow.

Is that a Peugeot down there? :wonder:

Yes my Wife's 807. it was that winter which made me decide to buy a 4x4 Yeti. It was surprising good, considering two wheel drive and standard tyres; but we did get stuck several times trying to get home up hill! - 1400'! My Yeti is booted and spurred ready to tackle the snow...

Peter

This was my driveway after I had cleared the snow...

Tell me you had the use of a Snowplough and that you didn't clear all that with the shovel!

Peter.

Looked out of the bedroom window when I woke up at lunchtime and note that the blower snowplough has now been moved into the Council yard in Llani, ready to clear your "drive" this winter!! :giggle: :giggle:

Tell me you had the use of a Snowplough and that you didn't clear all that with the shovel!

Hi CFB,

Sorry I was slow in replying - got locked out and could not sign in to Briskoda!

Yes as Graham spotted - a slight porky - the picture was taken just a bit further up the hill from my house. The snow plough gave up a good half mile before us! The Council then decided to send up a JCB, which managed to get to the top, but not much further. I walked up the cleared track and saw the photographic potential! It was a couple of days before I actually drove up the hill and the snow drifts had melted by a couple of feet by then and the road surface was clear. I had seen that the JCB had dug out a turning point at the top of the hill, otherwise I would have had to reverse all the way down again - not too wide! I could barely get out of the drivers door. It was another week at least before the road was full open to Machynlleth.

post-73315-0-72704500-1355157743_thumb.jpg

-7.5 on the way to Bridge of Orchy. Didn't stop some idiot in a van with ladders on the roof overtaking everything in site. I can only assume that the gorilla driving it didn't know that winter had arrived. Looked like an accident looking for a place to happen!! :@

I'll have the car a year on the 23rd and made a great decision getting heated front window and heated seats. No scraping windows, just wait 2 or 3 minutes with the engine running and not only is my 'rear end' toastie but the windscreen is clear - shame they don't do heated side windows!!

• Like 1

Hi CFB,

Sorry I was slow in replying - got locked out and could not sign in to Briskoda!

Yes as Graham spotted - a slight porky - the picture was taken just a bit further up the hill from my house. The snow plough gave up a good half mile before us! The Council then decided to send up a JCB, which managed to get to the top, but not much further. I walked up the cleared track and saw the photographic potential! It was a couple of days before I actually drove up the hill and the snow drifts had melted by a couple of feet by then and the road surface was clear. I had seen that the JCB had dug out a turning point at the top of the hill, otherwise I would have had to reverse all the way down again - not too wide! I could barely get out of the drivers door. It was another week at least before the road was full open to Machynlleth.

:D :D

And the was me thinking you are a man of means :)