VW Golf R32 - are they any good?

Royston

Been browsing Autotrader and the price of these cars has finally dropped due to the MK5 model coming out.

240BHP 3.2 V6 4WD. I've always admired these cars and quite fancy owning one. Anyone have any expert knowledge? the only thing that puts me off is that they get nicked. A lot. People are prepared to break into your house to obtain the keys.

Apart from that I'm still tempted.

There was an 03 one on ebay a while back with half a million miles on the clock! :rofl: Had been shipping jewellery at pace across Europe all its life apparently. :D

But, a QUICK car! thirsty for sure, but to pump 240 horses through AWD without the help of a turbo is going to be. ;)

Could that be tuned up with a little turbo lovin' ;)

They're seriously quick :D - must say it easily drove away from me at higher speeds, and I couldnt really stay with him (slowly starting to loose touch).

That said I was probably getting at least double the mpg whilst trying that though :D

Nice car, and if you don't have to worry about fuel economy too much it isn't a bad choice, well-built too I would have thought.

There's an alternative to shelling out that kind of money - I've been looking around at potential alternatives to buying an Octavia and one car has caught my attention - VW Bora 4Motion. Same 4WD kit as on the R32, I believe, but the V6 engine is 2.8l instead of 3.2 (205Bhp stock, I believe).

As for the price - well, I spotted one in Autotrader for a little under

I hear that they are almost as quick as a remapped vRS ..........

Ummm....hahahahaah.....that's a funny one... :rofl:

Walkie...about that link...dude, you and I both know the 'chav' really couldn't drive, which is why he got his a** whooped by the Fabia..(yes, I highly agree driving skill accounts for 50% of the end result on a busy road) ;)

The R32 is a 3.2ltr V6...anything above 2.0 likes to drink, it's something I've noticed...

And no, a remapped Fabia (unless over 220bhp at least) ) will not take on an R32..THAT car is the daddy...if you can beat a Mini Cooper S Works with a remapped Fabia (which I HIGHLY doubt), then you can take the R32 as well, because the R32 eats the Cooper S Works for breakfast, and the S Works is NOT a slow car with 200 horses and 0-60 in less than 6.8 seconds.

And no, a remapped Fabia (unless over 220bhp at least) ) will not take on an R32..THAT car is the daddy...if you can beat a Mini Cooper S Works with a remapped Fabia (which I HIGHLY[/b'] doubt), then you can take the R32 as well, because the R32 eats the Cooper S Works for breakfast, and the S Works is NOT a slow car with 200 horses and 0-60 in less than 6.8 seconds.

Mr MellowYellow was referring to a real vRS ;)

Chris

:rofl: This thread is funny - i'm glad the real vs imposter vRS debate rages on.

R32's are really nice looking cars but... if the performance is important to you i would get a 1.8t and do some mods (much faster!) and if it's the looks then a normal Golf gti turbo will do - there are loads of companies that make R32 bumpers that look fantastic. Mike @ IP has a golf gti with r32 bumpers and it looks the badgers nadgers :thumbup: ...and a turbo big enough to suck the smile of any r32 owners face as well :rofl:

I've not really found R32s to be that fast myself anyway ;)

my octavia has the same 4WD setup, KW suspension, soon to have brembo's(maybe, depending on budget) and(accodring to jabba) the same bhp and 30lbft more. cost me in total about 7.5K

a lot more subtle too :)

:rofl: This thread is funny - i'm glad the real vs imposter vRS debate rages on.

R32's are really nice looking cars but... if the performance is important to you i would get a 1.8t and do some mods (much faster!) and if it's the looks then a normal Golf gti turbo will do - there are loads of companies that make R32 bumpers that look fantastic. Mike @ IP has a golf gti with r32 bumpers and it looks the badgers nadgers :thumbup: ...and a turbo big enough to suck the smile of any r32 owners face as well :rofl:

I've not really found R32s to be that fast myself anyway ;)

I have a real vRS which I've just started to mod a bit (Not quite up to your level yet though, Skoda Sensei) I would actually like an R32 that didn't look like an R32 so that the theives would leave it alone. By the time you've bought a 1.8T and fitted a big turbo, FMIC, remap, CAI, big brakes, sports exhaust and suspension, you probably could have afforded the R32 in the first place.

I suppose I just want a 4WD fast car with large engine. R32 probably appeals to the posing get side of my personality.

I'm off to Autotrader to check out the 4motion type vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Followed one today.

Looked fantastic I must say.Paintwork lovely,stunning blue (was that the only colour they came in?),wheels lovely.Stunning.

Disappointing if you had to water all the good looks down just to avoid it getting stolen.I would want it to look exactly as it comes.Sad really.Wouldn't want a car I would get held up for .Think that happened to an Impreza (former) driver on here.

My cousin swapped his Civic TypeR for a R32 a few months ago. Hes also had the Miltek exhaust fitted.

It's one of the nicest sounding cars I have heard this side of a Lambo or Ferrari. It even sounds nicer than my Scoob did. ;):D

The interior quality is very good and the whole car feels expensive.

It doesn't feel that fast as the power delivery is very smooth, it pulls strong from low down but then doesn't give any extra shove like turbo cars do.

Look down at the speedo though and you realise how quickly it piles on speed.

The downsides.....

Same VAG lifeless steering as most cars built on that chassis.

The 4X4 system isn't true 4X4 so you still get FWD handling in 99% of driving.

The brakes aren't upto the speed and weight of the car, my cousin says he's experienced fade with spirited road driving, something that the Civic never did on the same roads. This is a known problem among trackday users and spirited drivers.

And yes they do drink fuel.

Cheers

Lee

R32

Totally agree when mine was not so quick i had a long play with one on the M6, did not take to much notice at the time just kept nailing it and putting distance between us, untill i slowed to see what it was. Got a thumbs up from the geezer then both arms up in the air.

Very selective now what I play with :D

Who am I kidding, have taken out the loud pedal, just got on and off switch now :rofl: