VRS missfire (BLT engine and no check light)

Hi all.

Hoping someone might know this issue.

I had a quick look using the search but the other threads didn't match my problem.

Basically my completely standard BLT engined 55 plate VRS has started having a hiccup. When accelerating gently or briskly, occasionally as I change gear the engine will missfire for a moment and then recover.

I can't seem to force it to do it, so I'm not sure of the exact conditions but will post if I find out something else.

The most vexing thing is that there is no engine check light coming on at all. I would have thought if it was serious it would illuminate?

What I didn't want to do was ignore it and possibly cause more damage etc

I run it on standard pump diesel and its got full service history and recently had full service with fluids and filters changed.

I've had my blt engine ibiza for a few month now and never noticed this problem! I've no idea what the fuss is about.

I've cleaned the egr valve myself and checked for the gasket which it doesnt have. Still temped to try this other gasket and see if it changes...

I've no idea what the fuss is about.

Good stuff. I hope that continues for you!

A good clean is something I've yet to do as we've only had our fabia for just over a week now so I'll make sure its on the list.

Ok so to start with I'll get that gasket: VAG Part Number 028 131 547 B

Then report back and let people know how I've got on.

Good shout guys. Thanks for the help.

Good stuff. I hope that continues for you!

A good clean is something I've yet to do as we've only had our fabia for just over a week now so I'll make sure its on the list.

Ok so to start with I'll get that gasket: VAG Part Number 028 131 547 B

Then report back and let people know how I've got on.

Good shout guys. Thanks for the help.

The 14mm gasket will remove the issue...I had to get mine from Seat (which is why the Ibiza doesn't have the same issue), as Skoda didn't carry it-prepare for skinned-knuckles and back-ache when you replace it!

its got full service history and recently had full service with fluids and filters changed.

Diesel filter has definitely been changed recently?

Mine suffered from a missfire - although mine sounded worse than yours - which was cured with a new diesel filter.

Loose Hand Luke - Do you find it does it when below 2000RPM? If so mine does this too... I cant get the car to do it either however sometimes I can say to the passenger it is about to do it.

Yeah its always below 2k rpm buddy. I've managed to get it to do it almost on cue now, I accelerate very very gently in any gear to around 3k rpm, then change gear quickly, and as I press the accelerator again it will stutter then drive fine.

So just to check this, am I buying the new 9mm holed version and fitting it, OR, buying the 9mm and opening it out to 14mm before fitting it?

The standard one is the 25mm version right?

And is it a multi layer gasket or just a bit of stainless? Am thinking I can prob punch the hole out much easier on the flypress instead of drilling it or grinding it out.

Loose Hand Luke - Do you find it does it when below 2000RPM? If so mine does this too... I cant get the car to do it either however sometimes I can say to the passenger it is about to do it.

The BLT "hesitation" is usually around 1600 rpm to 1900rpm, so if you accelerate & hit 3000rpm, the next gear is hitting +/-2000rpm, just about perfect for catching the miss-spot.

Fabia-vrs.com catches almost all of it...I believe the 9mm gasket is NLA, as it increased emissions beyond the Euro-IV limits but the 14mm gasket stops it completely (well, did on my 2007 BLT vrs)!

Hope that helps?

Try driving in 4th & lift your foot at about 1800rpm & put it back down...you'll probably feel it then.

Ah, oh dear, is it the same part number for the 14mm type now?

Your dealer's parts dept will know what you need- they must have sold a good few by now! :-)

The part number of the 25mm gasket is: 038131547A Mention that but say you want the 14mm holed gasket?