greenline 2 takes ages to defog screen

When it is cold and I return to my parked car, the interiir is very fogged up. It takes ages to ckear even with windscreen fan on maximum - arounf 10 minutes. Is this normal?

It is s right pain.

Nothing wet in the car. I winder if it is related to the rattle I get whrn the tenoerature outside drops? It literally hadn't cleared fully from around the edges of the windscreen by the time I arrived home 25 minutes later!

I had the passenger window open this morning as I reversed off the driveway and some water poured in from the roof. So this evening the car was very steamy and took an age to clear. Lesson learned, so I'll keep the windows closed in future :)

I've booked it in for a check next week. I hope I'm not being stupid about this. I've never had a car with so much moisture on the windows that took so long to clear since I had an old banger 15 years ago. Even with an outside drop in temperature and condensation on the windscreen, it should clear in under a minute or so shouldn't it (with maximum A/C fan on windscreen)?

Were your previous cars petrols or diesels? Diesels take ages to heat up, possibly even longer if they're trying to be super fuel efficient. Also, make sure the air conditioning is on, as it acts as a dehumidifier.

Were your previous cars petrols or diesels? Diesels take ages to heat up, possibly even longer if they're trying to be super fuel efficient. Also, make sure the air conditioning is on, as it acts as a dehumidifier.

Yes - all of them were diesels. I always have air con on.

Could you confirm the settings I should have for effective clearing? I typically click on the 'MAX windscreen' button with AC on so this forces loads of air up over the screen. I would have assumed this is the correct way to clear the screen, but it takes ages to clear. I have also clicked on the recirculation button (which I don't think is possible with MAX on too), but this seems to have little/no benefit. There are two settings on the recirculation button - one has an 'Auto' symbol on it. I have tried both, but neither seems to have much of an effect.

(also, should it be on cold or hot?)

Edited by birket

Your system is obviously different to mine, but I just have a button for windscreen clearing on my climatronic (was the same on my passat) and I just use that. I dont play around and just leave it to the computer. AC is also never turned off in either of our cars to make sure it's always keeping incoming air dry. It can take up to 5 mins to clear though at times.

Not 100% sure, but I'd think it better with recirc off as ventilation is key for drying stuff out.

Let me know what the dealer says as i also started a topic on this as my car also takes ages to demist and the sides of the front windscreen takes 30mins to clear as the blower vents do not blow full width of screen.

When parked in the office car park in between all the other modern cars they are all able to drive off straight away at the end with no mist on screens except me 2012 skoda and 2 other 15 year old plus cars that have to wait for their screens to clear and i am normally the last one for the screen to clear.enough to start driving even wiping the screen does not help.

Just come to the conclusion from all the topics on here that all skoda leak water somewhere inside the car whether visible or not, even a new skoda in a dealer showroom i looked at they told me had a leak from a hole on a weld seam.

If memory serves, the A/C won't operate below 5 degrees C even if the A/C light is illuminated. This will prevent the evaporator from freezing up.

The Auto recirc function works in traffic when car exhaust gases are detected. IIRC it only actually does anything when the system is set to AUTO.

Maybe the recirc damper is stuck in the shut position. Do you hear a change in the noise from the fan when selecting/deselecting the recirc function? Same question when putting the car in reverse and using the windscreen washers - recirc should come on immediately. It draws air in from behind the glovebox.

This isn't so bad if the A/C is working as it will dehumidify the cabin. If it is cold out, the A/C is disabled and the car will struggle to demist.

I think it depends on a number of other factors too. I've noticed that after a long journey, the windows clear much quicker for the next day or two as the car dries out inside. With the very wet weather we've had lately, the carpets can become very damp and won't dry out if you only make short journeys and the car never gets warm. I would also assume it can make a difference if you are alone in the car or if you have four people with wet coats, umbellas, etc. Dogs and dirty windows can also lead to more misting up.

I've experienced the same issue in the last week. Daughert emptied a bottle of water onto the rear carpet and have been blaming it on the moisture from that, will keep an eye and let you know

I've experienced the same issue in the last week. Daughert emptied a bottle of water onto the rear carpet and have been blaming it on the moisture from that, will keep an eye and let you know

Just be glad it wasn't a bottle of milk, I did that in my parent's Volvo 240 when I was a kid :peek:

• Like 1

I sometimes have this issue, but I recently bought an ultra-dogs-danglies drying towel, and found wiping the screen with that absorbed all the moisture. Then obviously ensuring the towel is dried out inside the house so the moisture is not still in the car.

Seems to be improving, going to put it down to the soggy carpet...

@dstev2000: good work, nothing smells out a car like spilt milk!!

I kicked it over as we got out of the car in the vehicle hold of a (very hot and airless) cross channel ferry followed by two weeks in (hot) central France - needless to say I was less than popular :giggle:

Karma being what it is: I had a brand new car less than a week before SWMBO spilt an entire cup of milky hot chocolate all over the passenger seat.......

It seems that any slight amount of moisture in a car will make it steam up big time. I got in with a little bit of snow on my boots and jacket this morning and the car was steamed up in less than a minute.

I sometimes have this issue, but I recently bought an ultra-dogs-danglies drying towel, and found wiping the screen with that absorbed all the moisture. Then obviously ensuring the towel is dried out inside the house so the moisture is not still in the car.

What was the towel you purchased? I have this problem with my Octavia sometimes so would like a towel to do such a thing.

Saw this on the Octy side the other day so ordered 2, 1 for SWMBO and 1 for my car, some bloke reconed they were really good, tho he could of course be the seller and I've been had! Posties not been yet so can't say it it worked by other Octy owners recon dehumidifiers do work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221167589662?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Just to show how grateful she was the only comment I got was she didn't think it would be much use to her. both my son and I replied in unison 'That's beause you don't look beyond the end of your bonnet' She didn't think that was funny but was out-voted!

Littleade, Please let us know how you get on with this as I have similar problems with one of my other cars that only gets used at weekends.

Another thing where the Greenline doesn't help is the fan speed. The max demist button doesn't give maximium fan speed but only about 80%. So whenever I press it I also manually increase the fan speed to maximum on the fan speed button which does seems to help. The superb is the first car that I have owned where the max demist button doesn't give the maximum fan speed.

Edited by Pesmog