Haldex Controller Question - Unbelievable Story

Just got myself a one owner 1.9tdi 4x4 with 82,000 miles. Bought from the original elderly owner who has just taken delivery of a new Yeti.

Six weeks before the Yeti arrived the ESP light on the Octavia came on, as it was due for an mot and he wanted to sell it he booked it in to the supplying dealer who had serviced it from new, they automatically diagnosed a new abs pump and told the customer in the circumstances they would do it for a discounted cost of £620.00 - cust agreed and then got a call a day later to say that while the pump had needed replacing there still was an issue which they believed was the Haldex.

In total disgust the cust brought it to a local indy who diagnosed a Haldex controller and for another £740 got the light to go out. It then came to light that the original dealer who had always serviced it never had done the oil changes on the Haldex at 40 and 80k.

As well as confirming that some main dealer techs are fitters and nothing more, my question is whether the Haldex controller died as a direct result of no changes or whether it could havejust been a random unrelated failure.

I am going to get a cartridge to do the Haldex but is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

The ABS pump should have been replaced FOC, all VAG brands are now either repairing them with the new 'fix kit' for a heavily discounted rate or (if you contact the manufacturer directly) they have been doing them for free on cars out of warranty, especially those with full main dealer service history.

The poor old boy has been done. £1,360!? This dealer is taking the mick. I hope he didn't buy his Yeti from them.

Most dealers forgot the Haldex oil changes, its disgusting really. These are Skoda cars so taking it to a main dealer and them npot servicing it properly is wrong. To then charge the customer for their incompetance boils my blood.

Any how, it's not your problem now. It sounds as though you now have a cheap motor.

I doubt the Haldex controller is submerged in the oil so I doubt it is related.

There was a thread on here recently with another member who was looking at buying a high mileage Scout, also with no record of any Haldex oil changes - another competant dealer then!

I reckon you'll be fine, just get the oil and filter changed ASAP. Also take a look for oil leaks as there have been instances of worn seals on the Haldex and rear diff.

The haldex controller is an electronic ecu that is bolted to the outside of the haldex unit, the oil changes won't have made any difference to this component,

no, it does have a filter, the L2 type haldex as fitted to the 4x4 octavia has a screw on filter, you need a special spanner to undo it too.

edit: ignore what I said, didn't notice thiswas in octy 2 section.. I'll go now.

Glad this thread came up. Checked my Service Book and couldn't see any mention of the Haldex oil being changed on the last service, which was done at 37K. From what I've now read elsewhere the Haldex IV generation needs an oil change at 60,000 km intervals (approx. 37,000 miles).

Doesn't look like my stealer did it...

Will call them tomorrow.

Great site this :thumbup:

Doesn't look like my stealer did it...

Skoda UK must expect all their customers to browse Briskoda in an effort to ensure their car's are serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations rather than rely on their dealer.

Imagine expecting a Skoda dealer to know when to change the oil! What would the world be coming to!?

Skoda UK, if you are reading this, that's at least five different dealers who aren't following the proper service regime for 4x4 models, time for a reminder bulletin I think!

• Like 1

Giving Skoda the benefit of the doubt, would it not be Haldex who specify the interval between changes?

Will have a look at their site and phone the dealer anyway. I'll come back with an answer...

Haldex Traction website useless.

Dealer came back at the second time of asking, having initially said it didn't need a change :o to saying it is due to be done on its 3rd birthday, and I'm guessing at 3 yearly intervals thereafter - unless a great deal of off-roading/mud/snow driving being done in which case sooner.

But all that they could (eventually) find on their system was a recommendation for a Haldex oil change at the 3 year mark.

My dealers comment after my 60k service:

"Oh and by the way sir your Haldex oil change is overdue, should have been done 20k ago. Would you like to book it in?"

Me "Shouldn't this have been done as part of the service you have just carried out (Or even the 40k service you carried out for me last year)?"

"Oh no sir we wouldn't want to be that presumptious"

To55er5!

Due to lack of knowledge of the two dealers I checked with I decided to miss out the middleman and went straight to Skoda UK (who it can be argued is also the middleman!) and they confirmed every 40,000, no time limit.

Having a time only limit on oil doesn't make sense, OK, so a time and/or distance measure, then fair enough but not just time only!

• Like 1

Due to lack of knowledge of the two dealers I checked with I decided to miss out the middleman and went straight to Skoda UK (who it can be argued is also the middleman!) and they confirmed every 40,000, no time limit.

Having a time only limit on oil doesn't make sense, OK, so a time and/or distance measure, then fair enough but not just time only!

Agreed. So I've done what you did and have just e-mailed SUK. Hopefully I won't have too long to wait to get a response.

True. But never the less from 2010 MY on (ish) it has changed.

SUK have said 3 years, which concurs with my own dealer, but not that of several others who stated 40k.

Think I'll take a 3 years/60k, whichever sooner, approach to be honest. Better safe....

• 2 months later...

Interesting reading. On it's last service, I was informed that the Haldex system would soon be due an oil change, as it was coming up for 3 years old and 60K miles. Got it in today for first MOT and Haldex oil change but just had a call from the dealer informing me that the Haldex system has a leak, and as it's a sealed unit the whole unit would need replacing. They said they are ringing Skoda UK to see if they will do a "Goodwill" replacement as it's only a month and 3K miles out of warranty, so I'll see what they say when they call back. Fingers crossed as I am imagining a replacement of a sealed unit (whatever that sealed unit may be) would be an expensive prospect. :sweat:

Well, just been to pick up the car from it's MOT. Word on the Haldex is it needs a replacement. £2.5K + labour etc put the total bill to over £3300. Skoda UK have offered a 50% reduction on the cost of the parts, but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to discuss.

I would not expect such a major part to need replacing - due to an oil leak - after just 3 years of mostly motorway miles and easy driving. As it's just 1 month out of warranty it makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow! Not having a good day at all. :sweat:

Well, just been to pick up the car from it's MOT. Word on the Haldex is it needs a replacement. £2.5K + labour etc put the total bill to over £3300. Skoda UK have offered a 50% reduction on the cost of the parts, but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to discuss.

I would not expect such a major part to need replacing - due to an oil leak - after just 3 years of mostly motorway miles and easy driving. As it's just 1 month out of warranty it makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow! Not having a good day at all. :sweat:

If this is true, that could be why another member said they bought one that had had the propshaft removed.

Quote the Sales of Goods Act to them.....goods of reasonable quality and this should last the life of the car. As it is only a month our of warranty, i would imagine that the leak developed prior to the warranty expiring.

This is why i always get the MOT done in the month prior to the warranty expiring.