New Octavia III pricing released with specifications.

ColinD

I saw one in the flesh in the dealer today, and I didn't particularly like the looks, very A4 IMO.

However to take up Yeti Man's point, I think they've gone back to trailing arm rear suspension set up which is a real shame. I notice they're trumping wieght savings so that'll have been a factor.

I couldn't swear to that cause I didn't want to get down on my hands and knees in the dealer but it looked very much like it.

Well I did get on my hands and knees and can confirm its a torsion beam setup on the lower powered cars - same as the current Golf and Leon. Only higher powered ones will have a multi link independant setup on the rear - which makes some sense to me. :)

Ah that does make some amount of sence. Just means I'll need to buy the 150bhp diesel next time if I want it to handle the way the current one does. I was woundering how they were going to make the scout with its raised ride height without independent reat suspension, but perhaps thats how.

Nope, the 150bhp diesel still has the torsion beam. You need a vRS or a 4x4 to keep the good suspension. Outside UK also 1.8TSI has it.

Edited by dieselV6

What about the Octy III Estate, anybody knows anything about the suspension on that one?

I drove Octy III 1.6 TDi last Saturday and loved it. The maps switching on the go was absolutely brilliant. as far a shandling is concerned the only thing I noticed was a bit more understeer at lower speeds than I was getting on the same roads (roundabouts and corners) with my Fabia vRS. Ride was very comfy, shocked by how quiet it was inside. Pricing worries me a bit as I can get 1 yr old MK7 Passats with DSG for much less...

The maps switching on the go was absolutely brilliant.

What's that then?

Edit: With you now, thought this was a satnav thing :p

Edited by Dodgy

Nope, the 150bhp diesel still has the torsion beam. You need a vRS or a 4x4 to keep the good suspension. Outside UK also 1.8TSI has it.

Really?

I think they've missed a trick there, people who buy Skoda appreciate the dynamics of the car, even if they have gone for a lower output "green" option. I suppose I should reserve judgement until i've driven one, but already I'm thinking when I change the Octy in 2016, it'll not be for another one.

Although if the 4x4s are to retain a proper set up then I may just have to save up my pennies for a Scout.

Sad face.

Really?

I think they've missed a trick there, people who buy Skoda appreciate the dynamics of the car, even if they have gone for a lower output "green" option. I suppose I should reserve judgement until i've driven one, but already I'm thinking when I change the Octy in 2016, it'll not be for another one.

Although if the 4x4s are to retain a proper set up then I may just have to save up my pennies for a Scout.

Sad face.

Personally, I don't agree with that. Anyone that's looking for a dynamic handling quality primarily doesn't look at the Skoda brand first. The majority of owners I know are older and don't push the car. When you're not pushing things, the only difference may be a slight increase in rear cabin noise but I'd be exceptionally surprised if you could tell by a difference in the handling. Oh, and you've got more chance of the dreaded uneven wearing of the rear tyres with the fully independent setup!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - my first post here as I've just joined the Skoda "happy drivers" - or about to, just ordered the new Octavia. Went to the launch at Sparshatts Skoda in Hedge End, Southampton, hugely impressed by the new Octavia although at the time wasn't intending to change cars this early. Went back with She Who Must Be Obeyed a week later, went out for a 20 mile drive in their Elegance 2.0 Diesel demonstrator and was amazed how good this car is to drive. After a long haggle, and a further hours in accompanied drive with SWMBO decided to go for it. Delivery mid May.

I would have taken the latest Golf more seriously but in the past have been put off by indifferent and arrogant VW dealers, I've never owned a Skoda before but drove a Mk2 Octavia estate in my previous job that had been badly looked after but was a wonderful comfortable and economical vehicle that I frequently drove to Leeds and back.

My daily commute is 40 miles each way, from the New Forest to Portsmouth, and I needed a better car for the purpose than my current Toyota.

A quick question though, I've ordered the Elegance model which comes as standard with the Amundsen navigation unit, is it worth paying £800 to upgrade to the Columbus?

Hello. There's a separate thread about the two stereo options, and most people seemed to think no. For the £800 you could have the Canton speaker upgrade for better sound quality, plus something like the winter pack or full leather seats. Far more use than a larger screen.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg
  • Like 1

Hello. There's a separate thread about the two stereo options, and most people seemed to think no. For the £800 you could have the Canton speaker upgrade for better sound quality, plus something like the winter pack or full leather seats. Far more use than a larger screen.

Thank you for the quick response! This is the feedback I'm getting as well, so think I'll likely pass on it. The Canton sound upgrade is the other option I'm thinking about, although the sales manager at our Skoda dealer who is running their Octavia demonstrator says the standard system is very good and he wouldn't spend extra on the Canton system. - an honest dealer!!!!. FYI I have ordered the car with the Xenon lights, winter pack, LED rear lights, Park Pilot, Mitsumi Apple connection and space saver spare wheel. Colour is metallic denim blue.

Edited by Timoctav

I've noticed quite a few people really going to town on the options list. Should be a nice car.

Here's hoping - although I was at the dealers yesterday and they are a bit disappointed hoping to have had more orders than they have so far got. Maybe the price hike has made a difference as on the face of it the new Octavia is not the value it once was although spec for spec my car is around £2,500 less than the same spec on a Golf SE. Just want to get the spec right.

There's plenty more I could have thrown at it, leather seats (personally I like the standard alcantara), sunroof, lane assist, sunroof, 18" wheels etc etc.

I have to say that there appears concern here and elsewhere about the simpler torsion beam suspension but I thought the ride and handling was very good for what is quite a large car. we've already got a sports car when we want to go for a blast, I just need a relaxing, comfortable, economical and reliable car for the long commute and this car will hopefully tick all those boxes very well.

Edited by Timoctav