Needle lights

Hi I've seen somewhere on the forum that lets you illuminate the needles all the time. But I can't seem to find the post anymore. Does anybody know where you would go into with vcds to do this. Thanks for any help.

the dials are a nono as its a main indication your heaflights are on. afaik theres no "headlight on" light one these cars only main beam.

saying that i bet theres some way to do it.

the needles are always lit on my vrs

George, on the vRS, the needles are lit all the time.

It's only the gauges that are light sensitive.

If have a similar setup to those on the yeti, MK 2 Octy and citigo then there is a light sensor in one of the dials.

It's a small (5mm?) circle. I is very hard to see but is there.

You can check and have a play.

Go out with a torch, at night, turn ignition on and then shine a torch on the dials. The needles and dials are lit. Turn the torch off and the needles stay lit but the dials slowly go dark.

As I understand it, it's to give the driver an indication that they need to put lights on.

The dials start to fade the illumination a while before it is dark outside but some of us don't need telling when to hit the light switch do we.

I am interested to see what the jackanory is then.

(in another hour or so.)

That picture this morning was taken inside a dark car even tho it was 8.40 am,

the windows were covered in snow.

Keen to see why there has to be light shining at the dash before it lights up and then goes dark.

Why does light, cause the lighting up of the dials when it would be light enough to see them anyway?

There are not just luminous are they?

george

EDIT< 16.50, Looks like no light sensitive on mine,

just needles or needles and dials.