Yeti hates snow :(

CharlieB72

Yeti butt of lots of jokes. Yeti and snow hate each other. Stuck in drive for 2nd year running as we live up a farm track now and we had to abandon the car last year because it couldn't get us back up the track. Next door's 2wd Peugeot fine and happily chugs up the track.

My husband drives an XK8 so we're scuppered!

What is really embarrassing is that people expect it to be a 4wd by it's looks and think I am being overly worried about driving in snow. My old little Austin Metro was fantastic in the snow - I drove it past many an abandoned vehicle. I scorned people who had 4wd but lived in towns and so got our 2wd Yeti before we moved to our new house in 2011.

Tyres don't help - I have just scraped off enough snow to read Dunlop 225/50R17 Sport 01 or possibly 07. (the 01 looks a bit like a 07 but I think it is the font).

I have Dolomite alloys .

I know quite a few briskodians have mentioned different tyres. Anyone have a snow tested tyre they would recommend to me?

I ran a 1.2 TSi SE for 10K miles a couple of years back. This had the same tyres as yours and was also completely hopeless in the snow. We endured the winter snow for 2 years running, before discovering winter tyres.

My current Yeti is a 2.0 TDi and is running 205/55/16 94V XL Hankook Winter i*cept tyres, on 16" steel rims. These are a huge improvement over the standard tyres and have been a goodsend over the last few days (puncture excepted!!).

My other car is running Michelin Alpin's (205/55/16). This are much quieter than the Hankooks and appear to offer even more grip in the snow and wet. They were however roughly twice the price of the Hankooks.

I did look at the possibility of winter tyres in the orignal size for the SE / Urban (225/50/17), but found them prohibitively expensive. My local main dealer (Rainworth's) sold me x4 steel rims for around £140 and x4 205/55/16 94V XL Hankook Winter i*cept tyres at £67 / tyre (same price as Camskill).

Tyres currently fitted to my car: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=106746

Review here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Hankook/Winter-i-cept-evo.htm

Tyres fitted to other car (same size): http://www.camskill.co.uk/m96b0s629p101864/Michelin_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Michelin_A4_Alpin_Michelin_A_4_-_205_55_R16_94V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Review here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Alpin-A4.htm

Interesting comment about Hankook's in this thread:

Agreed, but there is also bad luck, tyres can get punctures for a myriad of reasons.

Driving around in snow will always present a higher risk of puncture due to objects being trapped in the snow.

I don't believe the hankook is any worse or better than any other make at the moment.

As for rallying, then that's a completely different ball game, I don't think anyone would expect the same tyre life from a road tyre used in a rally compared to road use.

Anyone have a snow tested tyre they would recommend to me?

I recommend Michelin Alpin: perfect on ice, good in snow, quiet, soft and long-lasting. I used A3 for several years on my previous FWD car and now I use A4 on my Yeti. And although these tires are designed for 'mild' European winters, I am absolutely satisfied how they perform in deep snow and at low temperatures.

Edited by briskycat
  • Like 1

The other option to save some cost of extra wheel/tyres is to ditch those usless factory sports tyres and go for a 4 season (winter) tyre, which you can run all year round.

A number of owners are very successfully running Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyres in the 225/50 R17 size and as an alternative there's Hankook's Optimo 4s

Either additional winters or proper 4 season tyres as above will get you moving; flee bay those silly Dunlop's :yes:

Hope you get sorted,

TP

As for rallying, then that's a completely different ball game, I don't think anyone would expect the same tyre life from a road tyre used in a rally compared to road use.

Remember I am talking about ROAD rallying, not stage, so the tyres are basically the same as we use on the road.

• Like 1

+1 For the Michelin Alpin's (205/55/16)

Have always relied on normal tyres before, with varying degrees of success, but thought it a good idea to fit a set of winters this year.

I'm glad I did. The car feels much more secure in the wet and copes with the snow and ice very well indeed.

Like you, we live on a hill and the only way out is up.

There are about 20 cars in our close and so far the snow has stopped them all, except they yeti and a discovery.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Alpin A4s. Had a minor adventure up a forest track here in Germany and the monster pretty much ran up the incline very secure. On the road the tyres are quiet, much more so than the Hankooks I have on the California. But as my wife points out, I am slightly deaf so it's all relative!

• Like 1

AutoExpress did a Winter Tyre test in October 2012, winner was Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850's, second was Goodyear UltraGrip 8 and 3rd were Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D with Nokian's and Michelin coming in equal 4th.

The Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850 has been winning the Swiss tests too. It is new this season and in all-round ability has leapt ahead of all other winter tyres. However, the Goodyear UltraGrip 8 still just beats it and all others for wet-road grip, which is more important for most of the winter than snow grip. Goodyear is also fighting back with a new version, the UltraGrip 8 Performance.

As yet the Conti TS850 exists only in a limited range of sizes. Of the various sizes that Yeti drivers might choose, only the 205/55 R 16 is available now. If that is the size one wants, I think the Conti is the best choice at present.

Edited by r999

AutoExpress did a Winter Tyre test in October 2012, winner was Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850's, second was Goodyear UltraGrip 8 and 3rd were Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D with Nokian's and Michelin coming in equal 4th. However, the real difference was that any of the Winter tyres were more than twice as good as the best Summer tyres in snow!

My local dealer is also Rainworth, I bought a set of Skoda 16" steel wheels + Rif wheel trims and Nokian WR D3's. All I can say is that at the moment I am driving around perfectly normally while neighbours are slip-sliding and having great difficulty just to get out of the side road we live on.

Edited by Expatman

The Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850 has been winning the Swiss tests too. It is new this season and in all-round ability has leapt ahead of all other winter tyres. However, the Goodyear UltraGrip 8 still just beats it and all others for wet-road grip, which is more important for most of the winter than snow grip. Goodyear is also fighting back with a new version, the UltraGrip 8 Performance.

As yet the Conti TS850 exists only in a limited range of sizes. Of the various sizes that Yeti drivers might choose, only the 205/55 R 16 is available now. If that is the size one wants, I think the Conti is the best choice at present.

Is 205/55 R 16 a standard sized tyre fitted to Yetis in the UK (although I believe some may have fitted it) ? It's certainly not listed on the wheel/tyre chart tucked behind my Yeti's filler cap. There could be potential insurance implications here. Might be best to check with your insurance company if concerned (and before buying/fitting)?

Is 205/55 R 16 a standard sized tyre fitted to Yetis in the UK (although I believe some may have fitted it) ? It's certainly not listed on the wheel/tyre chart tucked behind my Yeti's filler cap.

See http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/

Just a skim read of TP's info., but it looks like they're only standard on the Greenline Yeti version.

When I ordered my winter alloys from Skoda Parts and asked about tyres (I've a set of Alpin A4 205/55 R 16s used last year on my Octy 1.8T languishing in my byre) they said they would fit onto the alloys but that this would not be recommended as that size was outside Skoda UKs recommended range of sizes and would also affect the speedo/mileage readings. A modification too far perhaps, especially for a 4x4 with potential ride and ground clearance issues?

Anyone considering would be still wise to confirm with their insurance company beforehand. When I notified my company they asked quite clearly whether the winters and alloys I fitted were a standard modification. I was able to give a resounding 'yes' as it says so on the sticker attached to the car

The 205/55 R16, besides being fitted to the GreenLine, is one of the two official winter tyre sizes, and required if fitting snow chains to the front; owners manual refers.

Oh and probably the one recommended by a Skoda dealer, if he's knows his stuff. Also note a 4x4 needs a 94 load index, which you have to watch as dealers are used to supplying 91's to Octy owners.

Hope of help,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Thanks TP.

But I wonder if the manual simply provides general Europe wide information rather than specific regional/national legal requirements (I think it says something about 'please observe legal requirements...blah blah'), and as such it isn't an authoritative source of a categorical definition of UK options. But then again maybe it does? Either way, it's probably still prudent to first check with specific insurers especially as Skoda UK, the 'font of all knowledge' (NOT!), says that size of tyre isn't a standard mod. in the UK.

Oh and probably the one recommended by a Skoda dealer, if he's knows his stuff. Also note a 4x4 needs a 94 load index, which you have to watch as dealers are used to supplying 91's to Octy owners.

TP

The little minxes!!! Now that's also very helpful to know. I'll have to check my spare Alpins.

Thanks TP.

But I wonder if the manual simply provides general Europe wide information rather than specific regional/national legal requirements (I think it says something about 'please observe legal requirements...blah blah'), and as such it isn't an authoritative source of a categorical definition of UK options.

We've had this discussion a number of times. For the UK, there are no "specific regional/national legal requirements" for particular cars. There are only the general requirements below. I quote from an old post:

"UK regulations do not recognise the concept of 'approved' tyres. What counts in the UK is whether the tyres fitted to a vehicle conform to the requirements of the Department of Transport's MOT test. On Class 4 vehicles (cars), the only requirement about tyre size and aspect ratio is that they must be the same for each tyre on the same axle. As for load index and speed rating, car tyres are not to be checked for those at all: such regulations apply only to Class 5 and 7 vehicles (those with more than 13 seats and HGVs respectively). In fact, if a MOT tester forms the opinion that a car tyre is of inadequate size, ply, or speed rating, he is specifically forbidden to issue a MOT failure on those grounds, but it is suggested he inform the person presenting the car for test of his opinion. There are no other regulations that would require the tester to confirm that tyres fitted to a vehicle presented for MOT comply with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations."

Edited by r999

We've had this discussion a number of times. For the UK, there are no "specific regional/national legal requirements" for particular cars. There are only the general requirements below. I quote from an old post:

"UK regulations do not recognise the concept of 'approved' tyres. What counts in the UK is whether the tyres fitted to a vehicle conform to the requirements of the Department of Transport's MOT test. On Class 4 vehicles (cars), the only requirement about tyre size and aspect ratio is that they must be the same for each tyre on the same axle. As for load index and speed rating, car tyres are not to be checked for those at all: such regulations apply only to Class 5 and 7 vehicles (those with more than 13 seats and HGVs respectively). In fact, if a MOT tester forms the opinion that a car tyre is of inadequate size, ply, or speed rating, he is specifically forbidden to issue a MOT failure on those grounds, but it is suggested he inform the person presenting the car for test of his opinion. There are no other regulations that would require the tester to confirm that tyres fitted to a vehicle presented for MOT comply with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations."

Sure, all manner of modifications might be deemed 'legal' in the sense that they would pass an MOT. But the question remains as to whether an individual insurance company (and I've no doubt they each vary in their opinions) would consider a specific modification within the bounds of acceptability. I'm sure that evidence, such as provided by TP re TUV info docs and German data, etc. would prove very helpful in supporting a submission that a particular modification was 'acceptable', but clearly there is a degree of subjectivity here given the information I received from Skoda UK. Ultimately, the important point is that it's still best to check it out with your individual insurers first, rather than having to argue and amass evidence after any incident. Remember the confusion/arguments a few years ago about whether 'winter tyres' were acceptable or not regardless of their size. I'm sure we all appreciate that some insurance companies look for all sort of excuses not to pay a claim. Happy Tyre Sourcing :)

• Like 1

Oh joy of joys! I had no knowledge about car tyres until yesterday and I am now possibly slightly more confused about which ones to go for, however I can google 'car insurance winter tyres' to get this link to sort the insurance thingy out. Happily I am with Aviva so when I can work out what to get, I need not contact them at all!

link: http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Winter_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx

The reason the 1.2tsi Yeti is not good in the snow is related to the dinky engine.

My wife has one and the lack of weight over the front wheels does not help traction when they come as standard with a fairly wide profile.

Her Yeti had the same size as mine from the factory, a 225 section.

When you consider it's around 200kg lighter and has much less weight in the nose it really struggled to get traction through a thin coating of snow and ice.

It wouldn't get up the drive until we put all season tyres on, which it keeps on due to her only doing about 3000 miles per year.