Keep (forever) or Renew / Replace @ 2.5 years?

frozboz

Just in case my snow monster is listening in, let me start by staying that both my wife and I have loved our Yeti from the outset when it was (finally) delivered in Aug 2010 and, with the exception of a couple of issues (damp foot well & needing the 'turbo shim software patch) that were both dealt with promptly and effectively by Dealer/SUK, we've had no problems.

We've got a 1.2 TSi with a panoramic sunroof (and, yes, we waited a long time to receive it!) with about 23000 on the clock and overall good condition, FSH etc. Running on winter tyres right now.

Our Yeti is the first "new" car we really had, in the past we've had 2nd hand and kept it until it didn't make economic sense to keep doing patch and mend. We weren't caught up in the big first owner depreciation trap.

Old habits die hard, but, as the beastie starts coming up to to its third birthday with MOT, new tyres etc, we've started thinking whether to "keep (forever)" or replace.

The figure that matters to us is the cost to replace, we don't want a gap between vehicles and want to stick with the Yeti (so, a like for like - possibly without the sunroof),. I'm not really good the whole haggle / negotiate with the salesman thing (so a simple transaction has its attractions). I'm open minded whether to Part Exchange (possibly simpler over all) or Sell current privately (possibly a smaller cost to replace but I'd have to fund the short term gap if I had both vehicles at the same time)

So, my question to the forum: what would you do and how would you go about it?

Edited by frozboz

If you would only replace it with what you already have, then keep it, there is little point in taking a big hit on depreciation and buying another new one again, this obviously changes slightly when the new model is launched.

If you are buying the same again I have to say that any repairs are going to be far lower than the depreciation.

So the sensible option is to keep it.

Admittedly I don't follow that advice, but for me it's because I do a lot more miles than you do.

My wife does a far lower milage and has told me she wants to keep her 1.2 DSG until it's 10 years old at least... I only managed to change it last year by buying a replacement in the same colour. But it was a bit of a waste if I am honest. I just felt guilty because I had a new car and she didn't.

As long as you are not unhappy with the car for any other reason than maintenance bills (e.g. I got bored of it, my needs have changed etc.), then your choice depends on how good your maintenance arrangements are.

If you have access to a garage/mechanic that does not blow your engine up / set it on fire on a regular basis, and charges reasonably, or if you do all maintenance yourself, then my advice is keep it till the end, especially from new when you have all options you wanted.

However. if your experience with both dealership and independent garages in the area is like mine (see the previous sentence, remove "not", and add my Mk1 Octy into it), and you do not want to maintain your car yourself as it takes skill, tools and some dedication, then it is better to upgrade.

It's your call really :)

Edited by dieselV6

There's seldom much logic to replacing a car these days, especially since they no longer rust to pieces, but - getting a new car is great fun! If you can afford it, there seems little point in sitting on cash - no decent interest to be had anywhere and no rewards in old age for simply stashing it.

I'm in a similar position. My monster is just coming up to 2 years old with 23,000 on the clock and it will very soon be needing new tyres - so a bill of about £500 at least, I guess. I'm very taken with the value for money aspect of the new L&K trim (which virtually replicates the toys I currently have and adds a sunroof, which I would have had but was unavailable at the time), and would take the opportunity to switch from diesel to petrol if changing, since my annual mileage is now likely to be only about 8,000. If my dealer were to make me a good offer on my current car ... well, common sense might go out of the window!

• Like 1

I've just replaced mine so a little biased but I think if your changing to add extra or going up a trim level then I say go for it.

Like I've just upgraded from se to elegance and 2wd to 4wd.

But it has to be said a part of me is just praying that the next is as perfect as the current one.

Good luck making a decision

I was thinking of asking the same myself.

1.2 DSG

Perfectly happy with it. Very low mileage.

BUT....the DSG box would worry me a bit out of warranty.

Haven't yet asked what the worst case costs would be if it went wrong but imagine it could make a big dent in the amount depreciation would account for. And TBH I'd sooner put money towards a new one than fork out two grand (if that's what it was).

Do other DSG users (Octavia. Fabia etc) report much trouble with the 7 speed? (or the 6 speed, for that matter).

I agree with all Andrew has said ,if you feel it will give you pleasure and if you can afford it go for it.

I'm in the same position new tyres needed service and MOT due so decided to order a 1.2se with a few extra toys.

My local dealer Winners of Cinderford offered me a fair deal so now awaiting delivery early April.

Lets be honest we are all kids at heart and need new toys

Ive just upgraded to an elegance after 2.75 years and 46K miles.

I think it depends on what else you need to spend your money on.

Remember you cant take it with you when you go,!

(Not that I'm planning to go just yet I might add!)

:happy:

Mine will be 3 years old in December, I'm tempted to trade in for the newly announced L&K. But I keep wondering is it worth waiting to see what the facelift model looks like.

+1 :)

Yep, doesn't matter how old you are there's nothing quite like the thrill of a new car and I hope to indulge a few more times yet! (or Yeti) :)

• Like 1

Given that so many are now approaching 3 years old and are looking to p.x. it might be that the value of our cars second hand is about to drop. Therefore now might be as good a time to swap into a zero mileage, warranty covered, new tyre riding new car!

However, the cost of simply maintaining a car will never be greater than the cost of buying a new one - and unless one can afford it without blinking, keeping your existing one will be cheaper. That does not factor in the joy and excitement of a new car, though!

Decisions, decisions. I'm in the same place -53k on the clock on a perfect vehicle that does exactly everything I want from a car, so why change?? And the answer is - "because I want to!".

I was thinking of asking the same myself.

1.2 DSG

Perfectly happy with it. Very low mileage.

BUT....the DSG box would worry me a bit out of warranty.

Haven't yet asked what the worst case costs would be if it went wrong but imagine it could make a big dent in the amount depreciation would account for. And TBH I'd sooner put money towards a new one than fork out two grand (if that's what it was).

Do other DSG users (Octavia. Fabia etc) report much trouble with the 7 speed? (or the 6 speed, for that matter).

Just do a search. You will find both good and bad.

Check out this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/237319-reliability-of-high-miles-diesel-dsg/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just do a search. You will find both good and bad.

Check out this thread: http://www.briskoda....les-diesel-dsg/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, RH. Yes I did a quick search before posting but there ain't half a lot of stuff to search through :-)

Much of what you referred me to concerns the wet clutch rather than my dry clutch though. I might be wrong but I get the impression that the wet is less likely to go wrong than the dry. Hope that isn't over simplistic.

The figure four thousand pounds was mentioned. As I inferred, I'd sooner pay £4k towards a new car than £4k to the service department of my dealer.

Thanks for interest though.

Oldstan - be honest now, you just get a kick from a new car! I'm trying to rationalise it somehow, too, but in the end there's no logic. We should all just run them for years and years ...

Oldstan - be honest now, you just get a kick from a new car! I'm trying to rationalise it somehow, too, but in the end there's no logic. We should all just run them for years and years ...

Alright guvnor, you got me banged to rights and no mistake.

Yes, I do like a new car although I absolutely hate leaving them anywhere due to the possibility of anyone going within 5 yards of it and leaving a paw print on it....but it's a nice feeling, I admit.

I do rather wish more manufacturers would give us a five year warranty though. If Toyota and Hyundai can manage it I'm sure most of the others could. After all it costs them nothing due to the (virtually & practically speaking) compulsory dealer servicing which over five years must pay for any warranty work bar major catastrophes.

There's one thing that we've not mentioned, collectively, in this thread, and that's the indescribably awful "hassle factor", never mind any financial considerations either way, when thinking of potential problems with an out-of-warranty older car.......

Hmmm......trouble is, as I write, the thought, er, occurs, that, er, hassles from unreliability happen pretty often with the new buggers too.

Oh - for a crystal ball, or some fail-safe tarot cards.

On the other hand (this COULD go on all night) what the heck is wrong with buying a new set of wheels just because you fancy a change, and because you can?

(Have I persuaded myself??? - nope, not yet!)

Emotionally there is always a case for having the newest and latest.

Financially changing a car after 2-4 years is a disaster, you are incurring the period of highest depreciation whilst few - very few - modern cars have any significant problems whilst young or in middle age. Professional view is that 6-8 years is optimum lifetime for trouble free motoring and provides best economic sense.

Incidentally I have had both 6 speed and 7 speed DSG and have had no problems at all - just make sure maintenance schedules are strictly adhered to, 6 speed needs a filter and oil change at 40k, 7 speed is dry and therefore needs no such work.

• Like 1

I also have to decide whether to keep or change. I've only done 32.000 miles in 25 months. But the facelift is due when I have to make my decision.

If the 'face' changes the the decision might be easy.....keep mine.

Also depends on what I will be offered for mine. Problem I have is mine is a fully loaded Elegance, and there is no model to 'upgrade' to. The L & K is nice, but I have almost everything it has.

Then I'd have to remap again, fit the flappy paddle MFAW and pirate the brakes.

The downside is lack of warranty, but people seem to be being offered extended warranties by Skoda for extra dish, and there are other companies like Warranty Direct out there who I have used in the past. So the DSG issue is not so bad.

I've not heard about any DMF issues with the Yeti either which is a good sign. The Octavia was plagued by them as well as the air con compressor. Neither issue would give you change from £1300. Both were partially covered by Warranty Direct. Only partially because of the mileage of the car.

(DMF = dual mass flywheel)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the helpful comments so far: the consensus seems to be that this is a heart or mind thing: the rationale thing to do is to keep it, but new toy is a new toy!

So, lets say that my heart overrules my mind :happy: , what is the advice for the second part of my original question (basically minimising the dealer haggle phase and avoiding having either zero or two snow monsters on the drive at the same time)