Space saver Wheel

CBFBOY

As above, both factory or retro fit will come with all the bits as mentioned by Richard.

The system for retro fitting will show - Spare Wheel and Spare Wheel Kit (this includes the jack etc, along with the polystyrene 'boxing'). Retro fitting is a tad more expensive though.

• Like 1

A question for those who have the spare wheel option.

Should the worst occur and you do have to change a wheel, the very nature of a space saver is so that it takes up less room in the boot. What are you supposed to do with the full size wheel you've just replaced? Will this somehow fit in the space previously occupied by the space saver spare?

If it won't then it's not a problem if you've spare boot space to carry a full size wheel but what happens if you're fully laden with luggage?

The space in the boot for the spare is too shallow to hold the full size tyre and have the floor go back down level. When I had a puncture it was parked on the drive and I had an empty boot to put it in. If you're fully laden it can be tricky (had a rear tyre blowout many years ago, on the M25 coming home from Uni - took far longer to unload/reload the car than swapping the wheel itself).

So... basically you're a bit stuffed then if you're far away from home, fully loaded up and you get a puncture? It makes me think you're better just ringing for the breakdown service and let them sort it out! At least that way you get to reclaim your boot space without worrying about storage for spare / punctured tyres.

Honestly, why do manufacturers not take these things into consideration when designing cars? If it wasn't for EU emissions regs then I'm sure we wouldn't have these useless 'tyre repair' kits in lieu of a proper spare wheel and because the car wasn't designed to carry one in the first place, we then have problems like these!

• Like 1

Should the worst occur and you do have to change a wheel, the very nature of a space saver is so that it takes up less room in the boot. What are you supposed to do with the full size wheel you've just replaced? Will this somehow fit in the space previously occupied by the space saver spare?

If it won't then it's not a problem if you've spare boot space to carry a full size wheel but what happens if you're fully laden with luggage?

The wheel and tyre combo have the same diameter, so it fits in.

The only issue is that it's a bit wider so the boot floor is effectively raised by a few cm and wobbles about a bit as the wheel is taller than the surrounding foam insert.

The main issue is unloading and loading the car if you have a full boot.

But this is the same on older cars will a full size spare that fits in, it's nothing new.

The alternative is a cage under the rear where someone can just steal your spare in two minutes and it gets covered in muck for years before you use it.

The wheel and tyre combo have the same diameter, so it fits in.

The only issue is that it's a bit wider so the boot floor is effectively raised by a few cm and wobbles about a bit as the wheel is taller than the surrounding foam insert.

The main issue is unloading and loading the car if you have a full boot.

But this is the same on older cars will a full size spare that fits in, it's nothing new.

The alternative is a cage under the rear where someone can just steal your spare in two minutes and it gets covered in muck for years before you use it.

I couldn't really complain about the unloading / reloading of the boot part as you'd have this issue with any car like you say.

As long as the punctured wheel would fit in the space left by the spare wheel then I think you'd get away with it, save for the extra inch or so in height (width) that the full tyre has. My fear is that the full size wheel wouldn't physically fit in the space at all due to a larger circumference but if this is the same on both spare and full size then this shouldn't be a problem.

Going off on a slight tangent here, how do those of you who have the spare wheel option get on with boot space in general? I was really quite surprised at just how much the floor of the boot is raised by having the spare wheel when I looked at one in the showroom.

Yes, they are the same diameter so it's not a problem as you say.

I have no issues with the boot size and we have the spare in both Yeti.

The only time we fill it is when we go on holiday and due to the shape of the car as you overfill the boot the parcel shelf just stays propped up, it doesn't get in the way of closing the tailgate.

W've over fillled it in this way twice. Which over a combined 30k+ miles is not bad really.

For me it's better to do this than buy a bigger car for once a year.

I've not considered a roofbox either, but we are only a family of three.

Or there is the option of the dog guard so you can really overfill the boot right up to the ceiling. :)

....Going off on a slight tangent here, how do those of you who have the spare wheel option get on with boot space in general? ...

Coming from the cavernous X-Trail, I was expecting the short Yeti boot to be a real problem. In practice, it turns out to be not much smaller, just configured differently. It's a bit shorter front-to-back but, even with the spare wheel (which incidentally gives an almost flat floor from the door sill), the height-to-window is inches bigger. And, strangely, it's a tad wider between wheel arches. (There was a thread on Yeti boot sizes not long ago - try a search?)

When we're being posh we have swapped suitcases stacked like sandwiches for big squarish pull-alongs, bookshelf-fashion; everything still goes in, even if we add the walking kit. The Tesco run is a bit different, though, because you can't stack shopping bags! For the 3-4 weekly visit, we usually finish up with two or three bags on the back seat. We haven't been through a summer season of garden debris dumping yet but it looks as if the Yeti will take 10-11 bags instead of the X-Trail's 12-13 (with the back seats down, of course).

In case of a puncture, you've got to unpack to a degree even if it's only to get at the squirter and pump. And when the X-Trail lost its nearside front tyre the nice AA man made us stand behind the steel barrier while he unpacked and repacked the loaded X-Trail!

Edited by brijo

I couldn't really complain about the unloading / reloading of the boot part as you'd have this issue with any car like you say.

As long as the punctured wheel would fit in the space left by the spare wheel then I think you'd get away with it, save for the extra inch or so in height (width) that the full tyre has. My fear is that the full size wheel wouldn't physically fit in the space at all due to a larger circumference but if this is the same on both spare and full size then this shouldn't be a problem.

Going off on a slight tangent here, how do those of you who have the spare wheel option get on with boot space in general? I was really quite surprised at just how much the floor of the boot is raised by having the spare wheel when I looked at one in the showroom.

I have the spare wheel option and I do find that it eats into the available space a fair bit, but I think that it's a fair price to pay overall.

Also going off at a tangent, I just want to say how impressed I am with the quality of the standard Elegance 'Spitzberg' alloys. After three years and 44,000 miles there's hardly a mark on them and they clean up very well. Have others found this too? I've previously had other supposedly prestige marques and their wheels were always in a bad way after equivalent mileages.

No space saver available with YETI Greenline, is it possible to retro fit as wheels are 16 inch and will it raise boot floor as i need it level for dog cage?

Yes, you can buy the spare wheel kit with the foam surrounds to raise the boot floor, so there is space for the wheel.

It makes the boot floor level with the tailgate lip and the back of the rear seats if you fold them down.

I sorted the Tesco issue...Mrs 33Q uses home delivery prepaid for 6 months. Cheaper than diesel costs

Garden waste..... I use our council service for about £45 per year for 2 bins.

I agree though the boot is a bit small....anything big or dirty goes in the trailer

how do those of you who have the spare wheel option get on with boot space in general? I was really quite surprised at just how much the floor of the boot is raised by having the spare wheel when I looked at one in the showroom.

Bear in mind that there is still some storage space under the raised boot floor, in the foam boxes which surround the spare. Granted you can't get suitcases or holdalls in there but it's quite handy for stuff that you're happy to carry separately eg extra pairs of shoes, cameras, binoculars. (Not ideal for quick access if the rest of the boot is fully loaded, though.) That's one advantage of going by car: unlike public transport, you don't have to pack everything in to just one or two bags!

I sorted the Tesco issue...Mrs 33Q uses home delivery prepaid for 6 months. Cheaper than diesel costs

Garden waste..... I use our council service for about £45 per year for 2 bins.

That works for you - good. Really! :happy:

M'lady, however, likes to use our once-or-twice-a-month visit to the supermarket to browse the shelves, check on prices and look at alternatives. It also frequently happens, except during the winter, that the car goes out with a load for the dump and comes back via Tesco! And we don't have anything as modern as 'bins'...

Sorry for being off-topic. :blush:

• Like 1

The full size wheel will fit.

The boot floor is made so it lies flat on the wider tyre but just a little bit higher.

Surely one reason for 'space saver' spare wheel is the huge wheels/tyre fitted to modern cars which would take up so much boot space? Looking at the Yeti it seems rather overtyred to me, and a wider tyre is not always beneficial. I am happy with the compromise.

• 3 weeks later...