New 1.6 Fabia diesel engine knocking/rattle

BenStrawbridge

Hello all,

3 days ago i picked up my Shiny new Skoda Fabia diesel 1.6 (105 BhP) - 8 months after ordering.

On day 2 i noticed that when the engine was warm and under a little load (ie accelerating or going uphill) a knocking/rattle started. this would go away if the accelerator was released. It sounded like a bad bearing or some metal to metal contact somewhere.

I have taken it back to the dealer this morning (~75 hours after original delivery) and they have had it all day. their response was:

We (skoda and the dealership) do not acknoledge this is a fault

We (the dealership) have heard this before

We (skoda and the dealership) have no idea what causes it

It is perfectly safe to drive and should have no effect on the engine.

My response was:

I am not taking this back with this rattle.

How can you know what effect it will have if you don't know what it is?

So does anyone have any advice for how to deal with this or even what it could be?!

Many thanks for any help!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ben,

my new car in dec 2012 has had the same problem.

Warm or cold it was strong knocking at 1200 - 1600 U/min with load.

Answer because this fault was the same like yours.

So I went to a lawyer to solve the problem.

Result: men from skoda and continental came to the dealer and solve the problem.

Problem was one injector that does not learn correct. With software this problem was solved.

Look here for common-rail injection: http://www.cdxetextbook.com/asearticles/quietdieselevol.html or search for pilot injection.

With regards

Keule

• 1 month later...

I picked up my fabia 16 tdi jan 7 this & had the same noise, took it back & was told its a common problem, just in need of injectors recalibrating, thankfully this took less then 30mns no more knocking.

Hope you got yrs sorted

• 1 month later...

Don't take any bull from a dealer!

I bought a new Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI 105 CR with extras on 5 weeks ago.

Asked Dealer to remove large scratch patch from near roof aerial but they badly scratched area near roof aerial, spoiler and all down C panel on off side because they machined polished car. Approved Skoda Body Shop told Dealer he would not touch new car with such damage! Dealer didn't want to know. Ok when paying him money. Complained to Skoda UK then dealer offered to refund car but did not mean it. Finally wrote to Brand Director Skoda UK and returned the car for a full refund today. Ordered another car from another dealer.

Remember if dealer does not want to know write to Brand Director UK!

Goodluck

My question:

How do you know if dealer sub-contracts servicing work! Ask dealer they say they don't but many are telling fibs!