The top 5 "issues" with the Fabia I?

YodaTdi

Out of the common issues I had the console bushes and constant washer pipes failing. It also had various electrical gremlins, a knackered PAS rack and failing piston rings (used lots of oil anyway) and some rust coming on.

I still liked it for some reason though!

Figure out why the ABS, ASR and Handbrake lights sometime flash on start up

If you ever want it scanned to try and find out why, let me know and I'm happy to have look for you. :)

I dont know about 5 but:

1 - Leaking doors (obviously)

2 - Understeer on budget tyres (cured by buying Uniroyal RainExperts for mine)

3 - **New one that noones picked up on*** Horrendous panel rattle especially if you like to play music loud like me

But it aint many negatives for all the positives even on a base model like mine! i could sit and list them for days on end!

Really? do they literally have to smash the old ones out :o

So I take it both locks just siezed or was it down to something else?

How much has that cost you to rectify & is it a Skoda dealer who's doing the work?

they charged me £91.20 per door and it took them three hours to smash the old locks out. The bits of springs and plastic in the foot well show how much of a ball ache it was. both of the locks had seized and the motors were inoperative. i think it has go to the case where there was too much security skoda should have built in a manual override after all once you are in the door you will have been at it for a couple of hours already have been swearing loudly and making a lot of noise :)

Two others. Pivot on rear shoes tends to sieze . IF you get a leak on any of the short fuel( rubber) hoses( 1.4tdi) , don't go to a main dealer . They will only supply a full set of hoses/pipes ,when all you might need is a short length of fuel pipe . The front seat belts need a dose of Mr Sheen to make them return properly.

This may be a daft question, but once youve managed to seal the door carrier successfully around the edges I assume all the water that makes its way inside should only exit through the drain holes provided? I mean that was the original plan when the car was built right? :yes:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

1) steering sensor

2) rear window washer supply

3) EGR

4) reversing light switch on gearbox.

there is bound to be a five within the next few days

Sticking rear brakes and leaky doors aren't to be forgotten.

Really? do they literally have to smash the old ones out :o

So I take it both locks just siezed or was it down to something else?

How much has that cost you to rectify & is it a Skoda dealer who's doing the work?

That's how I fixed mine ;) A long chisel and whacked the fekker. After that it's a half hour job to refit a new lock (I sourced on from ebay for £20ish), reconnect the bowden cable etc. Whilst it's off, seal the carrier. Far easier job on pre 04 (IIRC) models as the carrier has bolts rather than rivets which need to be sourced from Skoda (funny size or something). New lock from Skoda ~£85ish, plus labour plus VAT plus they won't reseal the carrier.

I would however like to add that mine is a 1.9TDi Elegance, has been regularly serviced, cam belt and water pump changed on or before due date and has had the correct VAG spec oils etc used and under my ownership (3 1/2 years) has only needed the console bushes replacing once, is almost 10 years old with 116K on it and has never broken down once and the only problem in my ownership is the door lock.

1) "Sensors" - in my case fuel sensor and coolant sensor (temperature). - gives EML on dash.

2) Coolant bottle level sensor circuit "gums up" leading to low/loss of coolant "alarm" on dash.

3) Radiator or sensor/switch leaks cause minor coolant loss. Rad change not simple.

4) Leaky door carriers leading to soggy carpets, mould and fogginess in damp/cold weather.

5) Starter motor solenoid "signal" wire breaks meaning the car won't turn over (can be bump started).

6) Front wishbone rear bushes "console bushes" wear out in 5 minutes. Fit uprated replacements ASAP.

7) Alternator load wire(s) break causing no battery charge at low revs. (< 2500).

8) Electric window mechanism failure establishes your personal limits of patience and method as you attempt to fix it.

9) Fuel cap won't release or won't push back. Simple problem and simple fix.

10) Rear screen wash pipe comes apart (usually in or after colder weather).

um... there must be more. The above in no particular order. I've not encountered all of them.

J.

In the order it happened to me

1.leaky doors

2.blown intercooler

3.failed turbo which wrecked engine (does that count as two lol)

4.crappy console bushes

5.most recent pas light come on,even tho its the 2nd rack as the last one burst a seal

I could go on,but I still love the thing!