Towbar coding

RoryRover

Is the gromit behind the glove box the same on the drivers side ?

Did you run the loom from the RH fusebox across the cabin to the glove box gromit, or did you take it through the gromit above the pedals and through the engine bay to the battery ?

Fancy meeting a Yeti owner from Stafford to finish off his wiring ?

Edited by a65rocket

I have just spend a fun day routing cables around my dash and now have many scraps on the hands (gloves would;d be too sensible)

I 'think' that I have located the gromit beneath the glove-box, where the cable needs to run into the engine bay to connect to the battery.

I cannot see a separate gromit, only the the large single one which currently has the main wiring loom. :wall:

Is this the gromit you used Bargee ?

I also have some lights still illuminated on power up, they did go after a 5mph drive, so thanks for the tip :love:

Oh, and the Bolero remembered its radio code after 8 hours disconnected, the clock had reset though.

Even though the lists on the dash went off after 5mph, I still had to clear the fault codes using VCDS.

I have had a trailer indicator light blow on a trip, the dash lit up an orange bulb symbol, is this correct?

I was hoping that the Bolero display would give me a nice caravan picture with status, but not so, does anyone else have this caravan picture ?

The Wesfalia control box was seen by the CAN-BUS and I could monitor all the bulb voltages using VCSD.

Even though the lists on the dash went off after 5mph, I still had to clear the fault codes using VCDS.

Correct, and quite normal.

I have had a trailer indicator light blow on a trip, the dash lit up an orange bulb symbol, is this correct?

Correct. That is the bulb failure light.

I was hoping that the Bolero display would give me a nice caravan picture with status, but not so, does anyone else have this caravan picture ?

If your car has been correctly programmed when the trailer is plugged in and you select reverse then the Bolero display should show a car and trailer horizontally across the screen.

Tested it today, and in reverse there is a picture of the car at the top of the screen, and a trailer at the bottom.

Also the rear sensors appeared disabled with a button to re-enable them.

Just the 12V caravan power to go now.

Well I could have done with it in my last car when I reversed in a hurry and forgot I had my small trailer attached out of sight of the rear view mirrors and succeeded in jackknifing it against the bodywork--ouch! :sweat:

Edited by yetiscot

Well I could have done with it in my last car when I reversed in a hurry and forgot I had my small trailer attached out of sight of the rear view mirrors and succeeded in jackknifing it against the bodywork--ouch! :sweat:

I've done that!!!

tom

I installed the full loom and extra section as I had no prep. Have to say it was a lot more work than I thought it woud be. I used a spare live I the fuse box and gave it a dedicated fuse over going through bulkhead as it was a dedicated feed from battery.

I could only part code with vag.com but it worked fine, recently got skoda to do the rest during service for free

I only really tow the race car but a very nice system and out of sight when not in use

Car octavia estate vrs cr 2011

DG

Did your loom push into the rear of the fuse holder ok ?

I ended up using a separate fuse bock on mine, as the little chrimps refused to lock into the fuse block holder.

Did your loom push into the rear of the fuse holder ok ?

I ended up using a separate fuse bock on mine, as the little chrimps refused to lock into the fuse block holder.

Did you undo the fiddly little catch and slide the purple thing on the back of the fuse board up (or down, whichever way it goes) before trying to insert the new wire?

Did you undo the fiddly little catch and slide the purple thing on the back of the fuse board up (or down, whichever way it goes) before trying to insert the new wire?

If you dont do this it will never seat in correctly

On the octavia I fitted the older upto 2004 version 1st - DOH and that routed correctly round the car (been an estate) the newer version wanted you to go across the base of the rear folding seats which would have looked terrible! So went with the earlier loom layout and just had to extend the loom a touch for a few of the wires which was no issue and all heat wrapped and fabric taped completed you would never know

The instructions are no brilliant imo and spent some time testing it prior to final insert of wires as they dont like to come back out

I did look to further wire split charging but I dont need it and if I do its only the back of the car which needs doing

DG

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!

I had the tow bar fitted on our Yeti by the supplying dealer before we picked up the car after we selected "Tow bar Prep" as a factory option.

I have connected the trailer today and i'm not sure that the coding has been done correctly - some functions work, but not all.

Bulb failure system to be extended to trailer bulbs - This works because we had an indicator out
Allows the flasher ECU to accept the additional load of the trailer flashers, without changing the flasher unit as normally required - All OK now bulb is fixed
Switches off the car rear fog lights when the trailer is plugged in - This is happening

Switches off the rear parking sensors when the trailer is plugged in - This isn't happening
Extends the alarm system to sound if the trailer is unplugged when the alarm is set on the car - I haven't tested this!
Enables the in-car display to show the trailer when reverse is selected - This isn't happening
Activates a trailer stability programme in addition to the car one, when the trailer is plugged in - Is there anyway to know this function is working?

So, is it possible to only have some of the functions working?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread!

I had the tow bar fitted on our Yeti by the supplying dealer before we picked up the car after we selected "Tow bar Prep" as a factory option.

I have connected the trailer today and i'm not sure that the coding has been done correctly - some functions work, but not all.

Bulb failure system to be extended to trailer bulbs - This works because we had an indicator out

Allows the flasher ECU to accept the additional load of the trailer flashers, without changing the flasher unit as normally required - All OK now bulb is fixed

Switches off the car rear fog lights when the trailer is plugged in - This is happening

Switches off the rear parking sensors when the trailer is plugged in - This isn't happening

Extends the alarm system to sound if the trailer is unplugged when the alarm is set on the car - I haven't tested this!

Enables the in-car display to show the trailer when reverse is selected - This isn't happening

Activates a trailer stability programme in addition to the car one, when the trailer is plugged in - Is there anyway to know this function is working?

So, is it possible to only have some of the functions working?

My Octavia is just the same, towbar prep by the factory, towbar fitted by the dealer before I collected the the car, and it's not coded correctly!!

Bulb failure system to be extended to trailer bulbs - This works because we had an indicator out    CORRECT
Allows the flasher ECU to accept the additional load of the trailer flashers, without changing the flasher unit as normally required - All OK now bulb is fixed   CORRECT
Switches off the car rear fog lights when the trailer is plugged in - This is happening   CORRECT

Switches off the rear parking sensors when the trailer is plugged in - This isn't happening   OH DEAR! NEEDS CORRECTING
Extends the alarm system to sound if the trailer is unplugged when the alarm is set on the car - I haven't tested this!  CONNECT TRAILER, TURN ON ALARM, UNPLUG TRAILER. ALARM SHOULD SOUND.
Enables the in-car display to show the trailer when reverse is selected - This isn't happening  OH DEAR! NEEDS CORRECTING 

Activates a trailer stability programme in addition to the car one, when the trailer is plugged in - Is there anyway to know this function is working?  NOT THAT I HAVE EVER FOUND, BUT I THINK I HAVE FELT IT ONCE, DOING AN EMERGENCY STOP WHERE THE CARAVAN STAYED PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.

Who did the "supposed" coding?

Didn't Joel detail how you can tell if the trailer stability program is enabled through how the dash lights behave on start up?