Consumption Readings

Fred_Bristol

Hi

Here is an easy one for the tech experts:-

There are 3 fuel consumption readouts on the MFD.

Memory says they are:

Instantaneous

Current journey (1)

Long term average (2)

Is my recall correct?

Can't find in the manual (with my glasses on).

Fred

(Now an OAP so not sure whether that's even older Fred or less old Fred)

Correct Fred.

The average 1 resets after 2 hours if the car isn't used.

Average 2 resets after 999 miles I think from memory. (Or was it 9999 miles or a certain number of hours as well? ) I have never left it long enough. Time wise the longest I have seen is about 20+ hours on a 400 mile tankfull of fuel (you guessed right-driving around London :lol: )

You can reset either when ever you want.

I reset average 2 every time I fill up with fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked in the PDF manual and trip 2 resets after 19 hours 59 minutes or 1999km on non-maxidot cars or after 99 hours 59 minutes or 9999km for those with maxidot. I've just been out to the car to look at the paper copy to see if that gives a figure in miles, but it's still km. Like Mike I reset trip 2 at fill up time.

I checked in the PDF manual and trip 2 resets after 19 hours 59 minutes or 1999km on non-maxidot cars or after 99 hours 59 minutes or 9999km for those with maxidot. I've just been out to the car to look at the paper copy to see if that gives a figure in miles, but it's still km. Like Mike I reset trip 2 at fill up time.

And just to clarify, the trip 2 resets are hours of running time, not just time.

Amazing what I still learn on this forum. (And before anyone says it's in the manual, I seem to have a manual that mostly refers to cars I don't have :blush:)

Amazing what I still learn on this forum. (And before anyone says it's in the manual, I seem to have a manual that mostly refers to cars I don't have :blush:)

And to wander (just slightly) off topic, yet again I have to wonder why, in this electronic age, when every new car built has a set of codes attached to it to show what basic features it has, which options are fitted, etc., the poor purchaser can't be supplied with a customised, one-off electronically printed manual that refers specifically to his/her car? In my view, this would contribute a lot more to customer satisfaction (and even to safety) than a lot of the issues raised on this site.

Rant over!

• Like 2

Because the cost of providing a personalised manual would be significantly higher than the cost of providing thousands of one-size-fits-all manuals. Like it or not, such incremental costs are not welcomed by the manufacturers.

However, I can see a place for a canny supplier to create an online system where a registered user could do precisely what you suggest; no printing needed (except by the user, by choice). You could even then load this into the car for reference via the a/v screen (if fitted).

Because the cost of providing a personalised manual would be significantly higher than the cost of providing thousands of one-size-fits-all manuals. <snip>

You mean one-size-does-not-fit-at-all :rofl:

Because the cost of providing a personalised manual would be significantly higher than the cost of providing thousands of one-size-fits-all manuals. Like it or not, such incremental costs are not welcomed by the manufacturers.

I'm not sure that's true if they went over to electronic print-on-demand manuals rather than the costs of physically producing the weighty current physical manuals that have to cover every eventuality.

I'm not sure that's true if they went over to electronic print-on-demand manuals rather than the costs of physically producing the weighty current physical manuals that have to cover every eventuality.

As someone who used to work with automotive manuals - it would either have to printed out and be bound within the vehicle takt time (90 secs for a Yeti?) or multiple printers (eg 2 printers if it takes 180sec...) at the same cost as mass production of a common manual + the capex cost of the printer dedicated on a line and not absorbed by a 3rd party supplier using the print line for multiple customers.

• Like 1

I used to write the things ('authoring', it was called! :nerd: ) for complex computerised gadgetry. All of it was available online for the users. They downloaded the sections that applied to their particular gadget sets, either accessing them as 'Help' files or printing hardcopies as needed. I guess that nowadays it would be a doddle to set up a manufacturer's site for dealers to scan in the set of codes that came with a specific vehicle and then download, print and bind what comes out of the tap.

Cheaper, very probably, than a guesswork print run of info that applies comprehensively (and hopefully) to any and every variant. Easier, too, to have the latest edits available - new bits, alternatives, even (!!) corrections.

I expect that some manufacturer will start piloting electronic manuals to be read on ereaders, smart-phones or pcs fairly soon. It would be relatively easy to customise these.

Already I use the pdf manual linked on this site more than the paper one in the car.

You could even have the manual saved digitally in the car and readable via the the satnav/display screen. This could be customised to the individual car and spec. and be supplemented by printed manual(which I usually read away from the car anyway).

I used to write the things ('authoring', it was called! :nerd: ) for complex computerised gadgetry. All of it was available online for the users. They downloaded the sections that applied to their particular gadget sets, either accessing them as 'Help' files or printing hardcopies as needed. I guess that nowadays it would be a doddle to set up a manufacturer's site for dealers to scan in the set of codes that came with a specific vehicle and then download, print and bind what comes out of the tap.

Cheaper, very probably, than a guesswork print run of info that applies comprehensively (and hopefully) to any and every variant. Easier, too, to have the latest edits available - new bits, alternatives, even (!!) corrections.

My point exactly. Thank you!

You could even have the manual saved digitally in the car and readable via the the satnav/display screen. This could be customised to the individual car and spec.

Good idea... why didn't I think of that?! ;)

Already I use the pdf manual linked on this site more than the paper one in the car.

I have the PDF of the car and Bolero manuals on my ipad, along with user manuals for various other things that I might want quick access to when out and about (photographic equipment, motorbike workshop manual, watch etc).

Edited by weasley

And just to clarify, the trip 2 resets are hours of running time, not just time.

Err....,, not quite.

They are ignition on time. Which means if you leave the ignition on without starting the engine, the timers will keep on ticking, thus giving you a 'false' reading as I have found out much to my disgust.

Not impressed.

I still avoid doing it! Is it OK now?

Old habits! Probably wouldn't, even it OK to! I even do 'handbrake, neutral' with the DSG into neutral as soon as the car stops, unless it's obvious that we can get moving again straight away.

Old habits! Probably wouldn't, even it OK to! I even do 'handbrake, neutral' with the DSG into neutral as soon as the car stops, unless it's obvious that we can get moving again straight away.

I do most of the time, but sometimes I'm lazy and leave the foot on the brake and leave handbrake off. Much quicker to put back in gear around London's stop start traffic.