That's It! I've Had Enough!

I have finally resolved my very low mpg returns on my Fabia Greenline 11 Diesel. I'm part exchanging it for a new Kia Rio 2 Diesel. My new car will be ready March 6th. I've never had more than 55 mpg out of the Fabia since new and driving it on a long journey yesterday was the last straw when my trip showed 50 mpg.

I've done my homework properly this time and their cars appear to match more closely the published figures on fuel returns so hope to gain another 25 mpg at least!

And yes, it is true, Kia give a SEVEN YEAR full guarantee on their new cars AND offer a fully comprehensive insurance package for one year for £99.

I bought the Fabia on a no VAT deal so the depreciation hasn't been too bad and coupled with a great exchange rate from the Kia dealer I am very happy to be going.

I hope to give you all some feedback after next month.

Sorry to ask but did you really expect to get anywhere near the official fuel figures? No one ever does, regardless of car and 55mpg really aint that bad...

• Like 1

driving it on a long journey yesterday was the last straw when my trip showed 50 mpg.

I had to giggle at that :D

I'm sure that is lower than the published figures / your expectations, but from someone who averages 27mpg (and happy with it) it sounds bloody brilliant.

Sorry to ask but did you really expect to get anywhere near the official fuel figures? No one ever does, regardless of car and 55mpg really aint that bad...

Looking on fuel tracking websites there's a lot of Greenline 2's getting 70+ mpg on average and some even getting above the manufacture figures so it's possible it seems in this car.

50mpg (without knowing the route and driving style) doesn't sound like a lot for a Greenline 2.

Phil

I'm considering replacing my 06 Polo with a Fabia G/L. Currently get high 60's in mpg on my 100 mile daily commute. Not sure now reading the figures above...

I'm considering replacing my 06 Polo with a Fabia G/L. Currently get high 60's in mpg on my 100 mile daily commute. Not sure now reading the figures above...

This is just one car... not representative of others. It either has something wrong with it or isn't being driven properly. See here:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/45-Skoda/398-Fabia.html?fueltype=1&powerunit=2

• Like 2

I had to giggle at that :D

I'm sure that is lower than the published figures / your expectations, but from someone who averages 27mpg (and happy with it) it sounds bloody brilliant.

So yours is actually more economical given that you have over 4 times the BHP and 2 ½ times the CC and 1 ½ times the cylinders not to mention a lot heavier?

To the OP Škoda only quote:

• Performance
  • Acceleration 0-62 mph - 7.3 s
  • Fuel tank content - 45 litres
  • Fuel consumption - urban - 36.7 mpg
  • Max. speed - 139 mph
  • Fuel consumption - combined - 45.6 mpg
  • Fuel consumption - extra urban - 54.3 mpg

So not far off what you are getting surely?

Both diesel versions of the latest Rio (1.1 or 1.4) claim about 70 mpg.

Subtract the mfrs "fantasy factor" of 20%, which will leave you returning around mid 50's in the real world. Slap me with a wet fish if I am wrong :happy: .

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the Kia which seems to be a really nice car....enjoy.

So yours is actually more economical given that you have over 4 times the BHP and 2 ½ times the CC and 1 ½ times the cylinders not to mention a lot heavier?

To the OP Škoda only quote:

• Performance
  • Acceleration 0-62 mph - 7.3 s
  • Fuel tank content - 45 litres
  • Fuel consumption - urban - 36.7 mpg
  • Max. speed - 139 mph
  • Fuel consumption - combined - 45.6 mpg
  • Fuel consumption - extra urban - 54.3 mpg

So not far off what you are getting surely?

That's a Fabia vRS you're quoting there. The OP has a 1.2 TDI Greenline 2.

• Fuel consumption - urban - 68.9 mpg
  • Max. speed - 107 mph
  • Fuel consumption - combined - 83.1 mpg
  • Fuel consumption - extra urban - 94.2 mpg

Phil

This is just one car... not representative of others. It either has something wrong with it or isn't being driven properly. See here:

Not just one car, at least 4-6 similar owners with details on this forum including me, and more links to similarly poor Fabia fuellys have been provided.

I am not changing to Kia/other car only because my 2012 Roomster is an otherwise very well thought out car that has a definite family travel appeal. Plus I put in enough mods to not want to do it again for another few years.

I sorted out numerous factory fitment issues by now, and ironically the 1.6CR is quite fuel effcient at full load/full speed (33mpg at 118mph) so as a backup car for travel abroad it works.

But in town/mixed use that is 90% of this car's life, the 1.6CR is a wasteful diesel burner, undershooting its urban fuel economy figure by 30%, and burning 10% more fuel than a 200kg heavier,2002 Octy 1.9TDI did over same course. And after replacing one DPF exhaust gas temperature sensor under warranty after just 6 months/6k miles, I am still concerned about long term maintenance costs.

Good luck with Kia, greenline11, their warranty works but I have to warn you that it is customary to use it for a big ticket item (eg clutches were frequently replaced) at least 1-2 times in the 7 years. So be prepared for some hassle there too.

Edited by dieselV6

That's a Fabia vRS you're quoting there. The OP has a 1.2 TDI Greenline 2.

Thanks, I knew the figures looked low (I also thought they were around 75MPG average), but if you click the link SUK have those figures listed under the GL2 configurator.

Enjoy your new car.

Must say your research on the Rio must be different from what i have read & heard on real world MPG and performance.

2 people i know got shot of new Diesel Rios very soon after buying/leasing them, having expected fantastic MPG.

1 is delighted with the SEAT Altea that replaced it and the other with a Peugeot 3008. Both diesel automatics.

george

Surely the depreciation loses on the Fabia and the really heavy depreciation loses on a Kia Rio will be much greater cost than operating the Fabia. My dad has a Greenline Fabia and it averages around 50MPG as well.

Enjoy the Kia, do come back and let us know how it performs in the real world.

I have finally resolved my very low mpg returns on my Fabia Greenline 11 Diesel. I'm part exchanging it for a new Kia Rio 2 Diesel. My new car will be ready March 6th. I've never had more than 55 mpg out of the Fabia since new and driving it on a long journey yesterday was the last straw when my trip showed 50 mpg.

The figures you are getting match what I get from a 2.0Tdi Passat with DSG gearbox on my 60 mile commute keeping up with motorway traffic. My wifes old Fabia 1.9tdi would easily see 55mpg+ on a run without trying.

I hope the Kia gives you better results.

Cheers

Lee

I hope you're happy with your Kia, it's no fun when you get to the stage where an issue becomes all consuming. It will be interesting to see how you get on with it so please let us know. I was curious though to know how many miles you do a year and what your typical journeys are. As others have said depreciation is the biggest single factor when running a car, so were there any other reasons you've decided to change for besides the fuel consumption, which to be fair on the face of things seems poor when I'm getting on average between 48 and 50 mpg per tank from my Blackline with mixed driving from what is a far quicker and heavier car.

Do you have to have your car dealer serviced as part of the 7 year guarentee, if so what's the costs involved and is it a 'everything included for the full 7 years' or do restrictions start to come into play as the car gets older/does more miles

best of luck

Seems a little knee jerk given depreciation et al, but good luck with the Kia

However something doesn't seem right, either with the car, route, or driver - perhaps a dealer should check it over there could be a perfectly valid explanation. I get 45mpg from my 140 CR Superb.

i average low-mid 60's on my GL II tank on tank

waiting for first service in 5k, on variable so will be about 19k for first service, hoping for a software update and an improvement that is reported about 10k in other fabias

that is on a 25 mile each way commute and some local work at weekends, on trips to another site round m25 i see 80+mpg