Rapid vs. Octavia

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer in terms of looks?

• Rapid
    • Octavia

While I do not believe I could ever mix them up for 1 another (saying this without seeing an Octavia), I do think (and fear) that Skoda are heading down the Audi line of stying, just have 1 and change the overall size.

Skoda were never style "leaders", but the value card on top of a nice looking car was always a strong point, and so you settled for an "ok or nice" looking car at the right price.

To me, the face lift Octavia Mk2 was heading in the right direction on styling, but this new Mk3 has gone back to bland (or nice looking car, from the photos I have seen), but the price has shot up, I bet when I see the full spec and pricing on the Octy it will turn out the Suerb is way better value. I am affraid they now have nothing to draw me back to them, and I fear they will have even less to draw new customers into the brand.

To me, the face lift Octavia Mk2 was heading in the right direction on styling,

No offence to Octy 2'ers but I don't agree (even though I like the Scout and RS). I think the best looking recent Skoda is still the Superb Combi which is one of the best if not the best looking estate car on the market.

Having a 'corporate face' is nothing new.. I see what you mean about Audi a little bit although over the years I think BMW have been more guilty of that. The thing with the Rapid/Octavia/Superb is that they are all the same basic 3-box body type. It will be interesting to see what the new design team do with the Yeti facelift, Fabia 3 and Rapid Spaceback.

I had a good look around the rapid at the paris show, just looked built to a budget & not a particularly high one, Lowering it to the level of some Korean cars for quality but I guess the Koreans are still a lot cheaper. Will be interesting over time to see where the Rapid settles in the market place. I can see serious discounts in a few months to shift them

• Like 1

That is the idea of the Rapid.. it's just that Skoda UK went too high with the list prices. If you can pay closer to the prices available from the online brokers then it is pretty good value.

And you'd be surprised about the cost of the Korean competitors now.

To be honest I'd perfer the Rapid if they did a 'rapid' Rapid with better susp[ension, as in terms of size and looks it reminds me of a MkI Octy. For me the MkIII is just getting too big, and I suspect the new vRS price tag will be too big too when it is finally launched.

And so it shouldn't when the cheapest one costs £16,300.

The Koreans are moving upmarket; they know the Chinese will be taking the budget market.

The Koreans are moving upmarket; they know the Chinese will be taking the budget market.

I know someone whos had a sneek'y look at the forthcoming MG & considers it not a bad car for the money so will be intertesting to see

I had another look at a Rapid during the week, and the interior just shouts CHEAP at me.

I honestly believe (in look if not actual built quality) the inside of my old Felicia was better.

This new square styling of the VAG range has yet to grow on me ......Their cars are starting to look very generic. Let's hope they don't do the " lets enlarge the same shape " that BMW is currently doing.......... come back Bangle all is forgiven . :think:

Voted Rapid as the lines just have that cleaner edge and the Octy still looks a little heavy at the back IMHO (what put me of the Octy II). However I think they are going to far with corporate cloning and brand image for my liking; unless you knew yours Skoda's then, as others have stated, which is which could apply in the showroom.

However the crazy UK pricing makes a 1.2TSI Octy III a better bet then a Rapid with the same motor.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

No offence to Octy 2'ers but I don't agree (even though I like the Scout and RS). I think the best looking recent Skoda is still the Superb Combi which is one of the best if not the best looking estate car on the market.

Having a 'corporate face' is nothing new.. I see what you mean about Audi a little bit although over the years I think BMW have been more guilty of that. The thing with the Rapid/Octavia/Superb is that they are all the same basic 3-box body type. It will be interesting to see what the new design team do with the Yeti facelift, Fabia 3 and Rapid Spaceback.

No offence taken from this Octy 2er who quite agrees and is patiently waiting for his Superb Combi

• 3 weeks later...

Initial impression of rapid's looks was a positive one. I had a drive and was completely underwhelmed, the car is clearly built to a budget, and the difference is quality over my blackline is almost as if it's a cheaper marque.

The new mk 3 octavia looks are quite bland and the rapid suit the look better. I prefer the styling of the mk2, it has more character. However I will reserve my judgement until the VRS comes out, as I agree with a previous poster, all models of octavia bar VRS variant looks a little bland.

The mk2 is fat and bloated compared to the mk1 lol :p

The rapid has potential to look really sporty, but it really needs a proper engine in it, something I doubt will happen, octy vrs engine would be perfect

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Initial impression of rapid's looks was a positive one. I had a drive and was completely underwhelmed, the car is clearly built to a budget, and the difference is quality over my blackline is almost as if it's a cheaper marque.

The new mk 3 octavia looks are quite bland and the rapid suit the look better. I prefer the styling of the mk2, it has more character. However I will reserve my judgement until the VRS comes out, as I agree with a previous poster, all models of octavia bar VRS variant looks a little bland.

Um, I like the Scout but I guess Im biased

Wonder how long the rapid's gonna last before they do something drastic to it? Due to the lack of new owners on here it's obvious that it's just not hitting the right spot for potential owners, the TV ad was that poor and boring that it made the car look unappealing to anyone. Add the poor choice of engines and no high powered vrs model it doesn't get any pulses racing. Has it won any magazine tests yet?

Octy 3 has so far got 2 magazine reviews where it's rated better than the golf

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Can't see a massive difference between them from the photos so guess it'll be a trip to the dealers this weekend and see how they stack up against my old nail in the flesh