Worth replacing chain tensioner in a 59 vRS 2.0 tsi as precaution?

There could easily be movement if the handbrake either isn't applied or not applied enough, and there will be people out there that do this. And yes there will be 2010 cars with that mileage but perhaps not as many as 2009's. My 2010 has done 15k.

As for it being completely random, well that's what I'm trying to show by asking specifics about the car and circumstances of the failure. At the moment from what I've read it seems to happen far more on 2009 cars, so not completely random.

It could be that the fault is only being seen on older cars hence most are from 2009. Picture might look different in another 2-3 years time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Car Plan backed Skoda policy, it excludes "inherent design faults" :/

Yeah that sucks. I just checked mine and it doesn't contain any such exclusions. I guess I'll only really know if I have to claim.

Maybe the later model had engines fitted with modified tensioners at the factory once VAG had realised there was a potential issue?

They have modified it 3 times as far as we've been able to tell, and it seems the first modification was mid 2010. There have still been failures with the latest ones though so it doesn't seem to have eliminated the problem completely.

My 59 plate VRS TSI engine failed today. I have owned the car for less than 3 weeks. The dealer I bought the car from have been very good so far so fingers crossed there. I was only reading this post last night and was going to get the tensioner replaced/upgraded very soon. With mine it takes the engine failures to 6. I am amazed that skoda have not said something about this potentially expensive issue. I will keep you updated on how it goes and also what will need replacing.

I was without my car for 1 week its back and running well. the dealer I purchased it from replaced the head, inlet valves, timing chain and updated tensioner. As I had only got the car 3 weeks before this happeded it was under warranty from the dealer so didn't cost me anything. The dealer was very good throughout and dealt with the situation very well.

I was without my car for 1 week its back and running well. the dealer I purchased it from replaced the head, inlet valves, timing chain and updated tensioner. As I had only got the car 3 weeks before this happeded it was under warranty from the dealer so didn't cost me anything. The dealer was very good throughout and dealt with the situation very well.

Did the dealer say what the damage was, or did you manage to get a look?

When the chain jumped on mine, I asked the dealer to show me the damage after the head was taken off and all 8 inlet valves were seized after they had hit the pistons causing damage to all the pistons as well. It could be worth chasing this up as the damage may cause piston failure in the future.

Did the dealer say what the damage was, or did you manage to get a look?

When the chain jumped on mine, I asked the dealer to show me the damage after the head was taken off and all 8 inlet valves were seized after they had hit the pistons causing damage to all the pistons as well. It could be worth chasing this up as the damage may cause piston failure in the future.

They should really have replaced the entire engine, as you say the pistons will have been damaged, and the crank and all its bearings will have been shock loaded.

They really should have replaced the whole engine, that is the instructions in the Skoda technical bulletin for when the tensioner fails. Yet again, probably Skoda UK poking there nose in and trying to get it back on the road on the cheap!

Agreed. But if the vehicle is out of the manufacturer warranty, the dealer may not know of, or choose to ignore, the technical bulletin that states the engine should be replaced if the valves have hit the pistons.

• 6 months later...

re - the title of this post ---- definately I have just had mine go. the head is shafted and I am trying to get skoda to pay for the damage ... new engine I think. :sweat:

It's a '59 plate VRS

Edited by DICKEAST

• 1 year later...

HELP!!!! I know nothing about cars atall!! my 2010 petrol vrs just died. 62k fsh. mechanic saying valves bent with no obvious cause so have paid for a recon engine 1.6k and it's on it's way. it happened after i'd parked the car with no hint or clue. running fine. is this the tensioner issue i have read about? I did have an issue in 2013 and took it back in warranty it was a revving issue once id started the car.

I had had it serviced at a german motorworks place which is where it is now but unfortunately my last service was at kwik fit. the belt had not been replaced.

any advice?? I just emailed skoda but would i have a chance of any help? It gunna cost me 2.7k in total.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Doubt you will get anywhere, non dealer service, no extended warranty. Is it with a main dealer now? If they said "no obvious cause" then I'd be taking the car elsewhere, they need to diagnose the cause first.

HELP!!!! I know nothing about cars atall!! my 2010 petrol vrs just died. 62k fsh. mechanic saying valves bent with no obvious cause so have paid for a recon engine 1.6k and it's on it's way. it happened after i'd parked the car with no hint or clue. running fine. is this the tensioner issue i have read about? I did have an issue in 2013 and took it back in warranty it was a revving issue once id started the car.

I had had it serviced at a german motorworks place which is where it is now but unfortunately my last service was at kwik fit. the belt had not been replaced.

any advice?? I just emailed skoda but would i have a chance of any help? It gunna cost me 2.7k in total.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I don't like your chances.  VW/Skoda need to be given the opportunity to diagnose the issue & you have gone elsewhere and circumvented their process.

OTOH, it doesn't hurt to ask.  The worst they will say is "No".

PS: Who the hell gets there car serviced at Quick Fit (or similar)?

• Like 1

If there is a design fault with the tensioner... how come they are ALL  not all failing?

Surely must be something else that contributes

If there is a design fault with the tensioner... how come they are ALL  not all failing?

Surely must be something else that contributes

For the same reason not all IBM Stardrives didn't fail.  Some people get lucky, some not.  The same reason not everyones coil packs fail, or their twinchargers lunch themselves or consume copious amounts of oil.  You don't need a 100% failure rate to have a design fault.

• Like 1

Well I count myself fortunate then...I have changed the oil every 5k or so since I had her , that is  9 oil changes in total the past  3 and half years 

I have driven many cars and nothing pulls like this one and even better with the bluefin remap!

I guess the value of a 6 year old car with 111,000 miles on the clock is not worth it