The spelling/grammar police

JB-)

You may hate the grammar police, but you know what, failure to grasp the basics is far more infuriating!

OK, so not everyone has a degree in English. Most of us make the odd typo or spelling mistake, but FFS it’s not that hard.

The ones that leap to mind are:

Your - Is this your car?

You’re - You’re not listening.

Their - This is their car.

They’re - They’re not listening.

There - There is the car.

Bought – I bought a new mobile phone today.

Brought – I brought my new mobile phone with me.

Where - Where is the car?

Were - We were looking for the car.

‘abit’ isn’t a word. It’s ‘a bit’.

‘alot’ isn’t a word. It’s ‘a lot’.

I just needed to get that out of my system. Rant over :p

I completely agree.

Oh, you forgot to mention

we’re. (We are looking for the car)

• Like 1

On another forum I use it automatically changes text speak to funny sayings such as 'I use text speak because I'm special' it means their post becomes unreadable and hopefully they will change their typing to a more readable format

• Like 1

On another forum I use it automatically changes text speak to funny sayings such as 'I use text speak because I'm special' it means their post becomes unreadable and hopefully they will change their typing to a more readable format

I've seen something similar before, some of the phrases that come to mind are "because I have a blue dinghy" or "I still sleep with a teddy bear". Hilarious confusion usually ensued.

• Like 1

Oh yes, cheers.

I came across another one on here too - 'Incase' instead of 'in case'. Oh and there's another - 'too' and 'to'.

I like that.

I find comments awkward to read when people make the mistakes mentioned above. Using the wrong spelling gives sentences different meanings, or it make no sense at all, so you end up reading it again to decipher it. I have a similar problem with poor punctuation.

Edited by JB-)

How about

There

Their and They're

Ive seen people write "its there choice" when they should be writing down "it's their choice"

Sometimes I feels it's more to do with a lack of basic education rather than a typo error.

I remember when I started high school, in my first term, we covered BASIC stuff such as how to compile a letter if you're writing to a company or applying for a job.

If you're writing to a specific individual, then the letter is addressed to "Dear Mrs Bloggs or Dear Mrs Bloggs" and should end in Yours sincerely.

If the letter is addressed to "Dear Sir, Madame or Bloggs Builders Ltd" then the letter should finish with "Yours Faithfully"

It it not just a case of using correct English, it is also important to present your written word in a professional manor,

Mine's could of when it should be could have. Really winds me up. We had a webinar at work about our new website and content management. The header on the first screen was "watch your grammer". The company haven't been back since.

It's not the appalling grammar and spelling you see on forums which is worse, it's the infuriating pedants that feel the need to correct them....

I see it as educational really

Shirley it's better to be able to spell properly

• Like 1

I completely agree.

You've forgotten to mention were as well. Same sound as we're but as in;

I used to be a were wolf but I'm all right nowooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1

How about

There

Their and They're

Ive seen people write "its there choice" when they should be writing down "it's their choice"

Sometimes I feels it's more to do with a lack of basic education rather than a typo error.

I remember when I started high school, in my first term, we covered BASIC stuff such as how to compile a letter if you're writing to a company or applying for a job.

If you're writing to a specific individual, then the letter is addressed to "Dear Mrs Bloggs or Dear Mrs Bloggs" and should end in Yours sincerely.

If the letter is addressed to "Dear Sir, Madame or Bloggs Builders Ltd" then the letter should finish with "Yours Faithfully"

It it not just a case of using correct English, it is also important to present your written word in a professional manor,

"professional manner"