stigma returns

ken b

hi having now had my monte 2 mths i thought by doing things to it i might come round to the brand but now its started to creep back in dont get me wrong i love the car and everthing but the badge is doing my head in (skoda ) i can get away with the chickens head logo but the skoda writing is the problem, i called into the dealers to check cost and availability of the new badges (no skoda writing) of a citigo front & back £12 each but wheel logos £9 each he said might not fit different alloys any body changed the wheel logos ? also the main concern is the steering wheel any ideas im thinking of plastidip but not sure what it is or what it does its only got 500 mls on the clock and cannot really afford to change so have to look at options quickly any help suggestions most welcome thanks

I can't say I understand. Having owned 2 x Skoda Octavia's (mk1 & mk2) I think they are fantastic.

I have now changed my car to an Audi S4, and I love it. However I didn't choose it because it was an Audi, but purely I wanted 4wd and high power. Skoda don't do this, if they did I would choose Skoda everytime. They are simply better value.

You really need to get over the out of date stigma.

• Like 1

Apologies but I think you are being ridiculous. Only luddites speak badly of Skodas nowadays and i'd almost go as far to say they are starting to become classless much like VWs have been for years. Lots of well to do folk drive around in Skodas nowadays.

Genuinely dont know what youre worrying about; my Octavia vRS is currently sharing our driveway with a £34k A5 Sportback (not mine I might add) and in no way does it look out of place.

hi thanks for the comments will order the new badges front / back and the wheel logos from then citigo tommorow and will have to do something with the steering wheel logo the problem is in my head sk4gw i am not embarressed to own / drive a skoda i really love my monte in every way shape and form apart from the badge i know at the end of the day its a skoda but my mentality says i can deal with it but i do not want to be reminded of it every time i drive the bloody thing anything is better than gaffa tape

hi thanks for the comments will order the new badges front / back and the wheel logos from then citigo tommorow and will have to do something with the steering wheel logo the problem is in my head sk4gw i am not embarressed to own / drive a skoda i really love my monte in every way shape and form apart from the badge i know at the end of the day its a skoda but my mentality says i can deal with it but i do not want to be reminded of it every time i drive the bloody thing anything is better than gaffa tape

Ken, I really think you need to have some therapy. You know it, we know it. The car isn't the problem :D

The new wheel caps will fit any Skoda wheel design. As for the steering wheel you could replace the airbag cover with a Citigo one which has the new logo.

hi thanks dealer said only way was to change wheel to a vw one (no point) will ask dealership tommorow if possible to do as suggested

Ken, I really think you need to have some therapy. You know it, we know it. The car isn't the problem :D

i know the cars not the problem the badges are

I know someone who works in a bodyshop so i asked them to do it.

Im not very good with hards stuff, even more so when it comes to stuff like this.

The wheel centres were a tight fit tho.

looking better already thanks how easy to do?

You buy a Skoda and don't like the badge..You have been shown alternative badges but you don't know how to fit them.

Not learnt much in 62 years have you?

I don't normally adopt an aggressive approach on forums,I try to be helpful and friendly.

...but when faced with downright stupidity there is sometimes no choice.

Hmm, having the prejudice and then buying it anyway...

We don't have quite the stigma in this country, as Skoda hasn't been since the 70's and most people don't remember them. Then again, the other day I had some middle-aged types pull up behind me at the lights. The wife starts nudging the husband and pointing. He says something, then she responds, and he does this over-acted face-palm. My thinking is that the conversation goes like this:

"Hey, look, a Skoda!"

"What a joke."

"Hang on, darl, it says 'VRS'. That must be the top of the range".

Face-palm. "Silly me, I should have taken that into account."

Now, what were these badge-snobs driving, an Audi or a Merc? A Beamer?

Nope, a Volvo. And not just any old Volvo. Oh no, this was an early 90's Volvo, lucky to be worth 1/5 of my car. I left them in a suitable hurry when the lights change, as clear a "Fxxk you" as I could manage without getting out of the car and saying it...

End of the day, the stigma belongs in the past with (fanciful) images of stern-faced peasants bolting together Trabants under the watchful eyes of Communist Party officials.

Is this really a serious question or someone having a laugh?

1. How long do you actually look at the outside of the car?

2. How long do you really spend looking at the steering wheel badge? The road is where most of us concentrate!

3. If it really bothers you, do you actually think that a Skoda forum is the best place to moan about not liking the brand imag?

If that is within your technical ability why not just get a bit of masking tape and cover the words which so offend you.