Which Yeti?

gillycat

Hi I'm new and just trying to get some advice about the Yeti and whether or not to get one.

Presently driving a VW Touran, need an automatic, petrol, spare tyre, was hoping for sunroof but think this won't be possible unless buying new, which I don't think I'll be doing.

Was hoping to find out how much they cost to fill up and best place to buy?

There seem to be a number of models and it's a bit confusing. The previous thread is really useful

Any info. appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now just test driven one and really like it, think the SE plus 1.2 TDI 105PS DSG would be the one?

Welcome again. I'll leave it to the people who know & have experience with the car to give you the proper low-down.

There's only a couple of things I can point out, in case you weren't aware of them:

1) The SE Plus is called the 'Family' in some markets & I think that says a lot. It's a great value package, the upholstery looks to be the most resilient of all the choices, & the fold-down tables are handy for rear passengers

2) For some bizarre reason, you can't have the fold-flat front seat with SE+. That ruled it out for me, but might not matter to you

I have also ordered 1.2 TSI DSG as I thought it was a stunning little engine/package - would have liked 1.4, but no DSG option. Wanted telephone prep & bi-xenons but ruled out Elegance due to 'leather' upholstery & ruled out SE Plus due to passenger seat as mentioned above, so had to go for SE with expensive extras. Good luck in your search.

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

Unless you clear the ground first you are going to end up like the person in the 'Someone put me out of my misery!' thread. Before you start thinking about details, decide: 2- or 4-wheel drive; petrol or diesel; manual or automatic? Having answered those questions, your choices will immediately be constrained and therefore easier to weigh up.

• Like 2

The only petrol auto is the 1.2tsi DSG, as you say you want a petrol auto that's your only choice.

It's a good vehicle. A little short of puff over 60mph, but then I am used to a more powerful diesel version (my wife owns the 1.2 DSG).

You will struggle to find one second hand, when we part exchanged our 1.2 DSG SE for a 1.2 DSG Elegance the dealer has loads of calls and sold it the first day!

If you do get one it's going to be quite expensive for a second hand car as the Yeti holds it's value very well.

If you want to save a few £££, you could try waiting until the facelifted Yeti comes out in about a year. It will probably bring values down a little.

But it's a long time to wait, although if you order now you will probably have to wait about four months anyway.

For me the SE is a good spec and has a decent interior. Add auto lights/wipers, lumbar support and a spare wheel and you have what I consider a good car.

The basic version S are a bit plastic inside.

We have the Elegance version as it's got a lot of extra kit and I like a few buttons to play with.

Whilst I don't have DSG I can vouch for the fact that the 1.2 TSI is a cracking little engine, truly remarkable if you know how to get the best out of it (which presumably happens automatically with the DSG!).

I love the Elegance spec on mine, especialy the xenons & heated leather seats. A full tank costs me about £70, and I tend to get about 420 miles out of it, although my engine's only done 5k so there's probably better economy to come.

Another vote for the 1.2 (manual), it's a cracking engine and I don't think it's that short of puff - unless you're regularly totally ignoring UK speed limits.

It's got 105 bhp and is very comparable with my old 1.9 tdi

I agree with domhnall I have never found the 1.2 short of puff, obviously you will not have 0 - 60 in sub 10seconds but it has no problems keeping up with motorway traffic and drives more like a 1.6. You will probably find more become available after the new plate in March.

Don't forget to check for a spare wheel as they are not fitted as standard.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years and still get a kick out driving it.

Hoping to take delivery of my new 1.2 SE within a couple of weeks.

From what I have read in this forum and everywhere else for that matter the 'platform' of the the Yeti lends itself perfectly to every engine that Skoda offer. What I am saying is that there is no engine in the range to avoid.

So choose the engine and spec that suits you......and enjoy.

Just one thing (Please everyone I am not trying to be controversial) choose your tyre size carefully.

....Just one thing (Please everyone I am not trying to be controversial) choose your tyre size carefully.

Oh, I don't think that's even vaguely controversial nowadays, is it :angel: ? Wasn't the consensus opinion that it's a simple question of personal preference :peek: ?

Oh, I don't think that's even vaguely controversial nowadays, is it :angel: ? Wasn't the consensus opinion that it's a simple question of personal preference :peek: ?

As I understand it, that choice has not been made...so it is not a personal choice yet. If I were in position to buy a new Yeti I would want all the information available to me. I am not gong to say which tyre size I have....but I do think (given what I have read) the issue of tyre size is as just as important as the choice of engine. Sorry if that rattles anyone.

Just had a look at the approved used locator. There are 18 DSG 1.2TSI's currently available, two of which are SE+ (Belfast and Leeds), although value wise this one gets my vote:

http://www.skoda.net...px?id=602836847

TP

Agree, it's the best of a bad bunch in terms of value, but it's not a great deal unless they're prepared to budge on price, be generous with p/ex.

• With the metallic paint, it's circa £2k under list otr
  • My experience suggests that, anyone turning up at dealers with credit card in left hand & pen in right hand - prepared to deal today, ought to be able to knock circa £1.5k off list for a new car of this spec.
  • This one is 6 months old so, as well as being the 2nd owner & losing 6 months warranty, 6 months tax (nearly £70) lost
  • The OP wants a spare wheel - adding one aftermarket as opposed to option on new car means a difference nudging towards £200 (though I admit, I'm only taking this off of the top of my head, based on something (I think) I've read)
  • Ends up as (perhaps?) not such a great saving as it 1st seems (at least, not if a spare wheel is a must-have)

Having said that, if it was me, & I liked the colour, I'd be very interested (just to beat the waiting list, because I'm impatient)

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

1.2 TSI DSG. Around town, you should get up to 38 or so mpg, assuming you go far enough to get the engine properly warm and don't race from one light to the next. Out of town, pushing up to 60 mph, 42 mpg. If you pretend the national speed limit on single carriageways is 50 mph, then 45+ mpg. On motorway sticking to 70, consumption is more like 38, dropping to 36 or less in a headwind or very wet.

THANKS SO MUCH

All this info incredibly helpful!

And Plumber, the link you sent was actually the car I test drove today!

Yes I need spare tyre, as I can actually change one, so why not have one! £70 to fill up is good as this is what the Touran is and so didn't want it to cost any more than this. I do a lot of motorway driving and stupidly didn't test the car on the motorway, seems to be some discussion about speed here?

Think I will have to forego the sun roof.........

Now just need to see what deal I can get!

Anyway thanks so much everyone, brilliant forum.

Just a thought, keep an eye out for showroom cars or ex demo models. Mine was 6 months old and lived in the showroom. It only had 41 miles, yes only forty one miles on the clock. I paid used money for a car that was as good as new and it had a few extras including a sunroof and the spooky self park thingy.

My car is a 170 oil burner 4x4 manual in Elegance trim (auto xenon lights that look round corners, off road button, heated leather seats, Bluetooth etc). I retro fitted the spare wheel. Usual MPG average is between 45 and 50 mainly at motorway speeds for 20 mile commutes. Longer trips in warmer weather on country lanes 55+ mpg has been achievable.

• Like 2

Just a thought, keep an eye out for showroom cars or ex demo models. Mine was 6 months old and lived in the showroom. It only had 41 miles, yes only forty one miles on the clock. I paid used money for a car that was as good as new and it had a few extras including a sunroof and the spooky self park thingy.

My car is a 170 oil burner 4x4 manual in Elegance trim (auto xenon lights that look round corners, off road button, heated leather seats, Bluetooth etc). I retro fitted the spare wheel. Usual MPG average is between 45 and 50 mainly at motorway speeds for 20 mile commutes. Longer trips in warmer weather on country lanes 55+ mpg has been achievable.

Way to go!
  • Like 1

Yes I need spare tyre, as I can actually change one, so why not have one! £70 to fill up is good as this is what the Touran is and so didn't want it to cost any more than this. I do a lot of motorway driving and stupidly didn't test the car on the motorway, seems to be some discussion about speed here?

I hope you find the car your looking for, there are 2 things that struck me from reading your above post that you may wish to bear in mind. How about test driving your choice(s) under the same sort of conditions you expect to be typically using the car for. As you've said you do a lot of motorway driving it may be an idea to have an longer test drive including going on the motorway and reset the maxidot/fuel computer so you get a realsitic view on both how it drives as well as the sort of fuel consuption you will personally get to see if it fits your requirements.

I only suggest this because I bought my previous car after a short test drive and ended up changing it 12 months later. There was nothing wrong with the car, just that had I taken a longer test drive I would not have bought one with the engine I originally chose. It is very much a personal choice thing IMO.

Best of luck

Hi I'm new and just trying to get some advice about the Yeti and whether or not to get one.

Presently driving a VW Touran, need an automatic, petrol, ///

The only petrol auto is the 1.2tsi DSG, as you say you want a petrol auto that's your only choice.

Sorry if OT, but... only one petrol DSG "choice" in UK - 1.2 ?!? :o Unbelievable!

We have 3 (three!) petrol DSG's on the menu (+1 diesel):

DSG.jpg

( http://www.skoda.ee/...ri-ja-varustus/ )

Though RHD market is big enough to produce (assemble) all versions of all Škoda models in RHD... :think: Or is it just Škoda UK responsible?

NOT good!!! :no:

Edited by Hirundo

Yup, SUK is the ugly carbuncle on the otherwise beautiful face of Shkoda.

The UK has been a great market for Skoda, & I'm sure there's a lot of back-slapping going on at SUK.

Truth is, it's time for a new man (or woman) at the top.

(SUK could have easily had another £5k out of me if they'd offered the correct choices - thought they wanted to manufacture 'happy drivers', not 'reasonably content with the compromise drivers')

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

Sorry if OT, but... only one petrol DSG "choice" in UK - 1.2 ?!? :o Unbelievable!

We have 3 (three!) petrol DSG's on the menu (+1 diesel):

DSG.jpg

( http://www.skoda.ee/...ri-ja-varustus/ )

Though RHD market is big enough to produce (assemble) all versions of all Škoda models in RHD... :think: Or is it just Škoda UK responsible?

NOT good!!! :no:

Forget that for a moment.....Look at the prices !!!!! Top spec 170 less than 6000 Euros (Five Grand issh) than in France. Sorry Skoda but you are really beginning to annoy me.

Estonia is in the European Union and its currency is the Euro. I am betting that the ipad (as an example) is the same price in France as it is in Estonia. Personally I dont think Skoda should be allowed to do this. Logistically, (and I mean Logistically) there is no reason why the car should not be priced the same in both countries (across Europe even)....common market ect ect.

So is a Yeti, or even a litre of milk or beer, the same price in France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Holland and Germany?

I don't think so.

Each country is it's own market, so has it's own price, Common Market or not.