Time To Take Mine In

Already said I'll never go diesel again. I know the vRS has some horror stories but from what I've heard about the new TDI's with DPF and EGR faults and other things I'm not allowed to mention I'd never have one.

Since I've been a member of this Forum (a couple of months longer than I have had my CR 105 Monte), I have read more times about the 1.4 vRS issues than anything else. Given the frequency of the problems I'm surprised that people who have that engine in there car haven't collectively started legal proceedings against the VAG.

One thing for sure, that is absolutely not way I would ever touch a VAG vehicle with that 1.4 engine. It is worth nothing but headaches, and trouble.

Just my opinion.

Since I've been a member of this Forum (a couple of months longer than I have had my CR 105 Monte), I have read more times about the 1.4 vRS issues than anything else. Given the frequency of the problems I'm surprised that people who have that engine in there car haven't collectively started legal proceedings against the VAG.

One thing for sure, that is absolutely not way I would ever touch a VAG vehicle with that 1.4 engine. It is worth nothing but headaches, and trouble.

Just my opinion.

think they have started collective legal proceedings in Australia, a guy from down under was posting it a while back...

Took it in and they had it most of the day. I sadly had a Fabia Greenline to go up to Newport in today. I'd never say a car was dangerously slow but I'd never attempt an overtake in it. Was fine once you got to 70ish but if it went down to 60 you had to think about changing down if a hill came up. Felt a bit more stable at speed comapred to mine but I could just be looking too hard for things.

They've put on a ECU update to stop any lumpy idles when cold and the breather pipe has been ordered. After reviewing my Blackvue footage (I completely forgot to take it out) they check the oil several times to see it wasn't leaking anywhere, put it up on ramps to check there too and fixed my vent rattle again. Just need to work out when I have time to take it back in to get it done. After then the consumption will be monitored.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a month and I still haven't had time to take it in. Will probably be after I see you lot at Combe. Need to make a decision soon if I want to keep it or not. It's always in my mind lately about the oil but in the last month I've had so little time with working and helping family out I've been a bit lax with oil checking. Can't tell you if it's used any because I honestly don't know. Few days this week I've had to go to my cousins by 7am, meaning pretty quiet roads with a few overtakes and the car has been very good. Flat out point to point is good fun and arguably the fastest I've ever done the run to his house in. Thirsty but good.

• Like 1

Plus there's probably around £12k sitting in it. Money that may come in handy if my job doesn't work out.

Reallistically mate, you probably only have about £10K best private in it, mine was valued at £8500 trade in, about £9000 private. It's a 10 plate with 30,000 miles.

Stu when was that?

Got almost £11k part ex for mine, 11 plate 10k miles. 2 weeks ago.

Which is why I thought around 12k private as trade in is always lower than selling yourself. I'll ask Skoda next time I go down to give me a price on it. If it's a decent one or the cost between selling private is marginal then they can have it.

I don't want to do it but needs must. The oil issue doesn't help it's case and with almost everyone here slagging them off it I think it's got to me, even though I do like the car to drive. The only one who has said to keep it has been my dad but said only until the warranty runs out. That's another 18 months away.

You'd be lucky to get £12k private, the 2nd hand value puts people off as new ones are technically only £14k.

I recon they'll offer you £11k.

What will you look for?

You'd be lucky to get £12k private, the 2nd hand value puts people off as new ones are technically only £14k.

I recon they'll offer you £11k.

What will you look for?

I honestly don't know. Might go for a new Swift Sport but one of the first ones. Saw one a few days ago for £9.5k but that was private. Judging by depreciation of the old one it should be doable. If I did go for the older one I'd end up spending even more. Lots of mods available. Other options could be something RWD but again I have no idea what and everything would cost more to run than the vRS does.

What's annoying is that the only car that ticked all the boxes at the time was a vRS and it still does. I have to remember too it's a daily driver so lots of slow commuting into Swansea town centre and this can't be avoided. Not buying something where I'm watching the gauge move in traffic, not that the vRS does.

• 1 year later...

Seemed to for me. It dropped off quite a bit to the point I was only having to check it once a fortnight. Then I got the new job in November which meant doing 100 miles a day. Started checking every week to see if there was any change and was actually using less. I let it get up to temp before using it and the last mile or so home is always a slower one.

I've done about 35k since the pipes went on and it's been great.If it hadn't I wouldn't have kept it as long as I have. Did debate buying a derv Octy but then I moved. My miles are a lot less but still on open roads so it can get up to temp and has time to stretch it's legs. Only reason I'm selling is because something special has come up for sale, something I never expected them to sell and I got first offer on it.