Time To Take Mine In

After doing a final check yesterday I've worked out its using way too much. Topped it up with 1800ml of oil in 1400 miles and could still do with a touch more. Was checking it every tank. Going to see Skoda this morning to see what they say. Two weeks time I have a week off so they can have a go at sorting it then I guess.

I'll see how long mine takes to get a new engine ordered, delivered and fitted. Garage reckons within a fortnight...

Mine was behaving better with oil consumption, but I did top it up with 5W40 after the first 2 (or 3?) litres which seemed to stem the consumption :x Shame it decided to become a 15 valve engine though.

After doing a final check yesterday I've worked out its using way too much. Topped it up with 1800ml of oil in 1400 miles and could still do with a touch more. Was checking it every tank. Going to see Skoda this morning to see what they say. Two weeks time I have a week off so they can have a go at sorting it then I guess.

How many miles has your car done?

Mines done 8.5K and uses a bit, but nothing drastic. I kind of thought I was out of the woods in regards to an oil issue. But if it can develop as the miles go on, I would be worried.

Went to 15,000 today. Went in, showed them all my calculations and they agree it's too much. It's going in with them in 2 weeks time, presumably to do the breather pipe. Plus I'm getting them to sort a few other niggles too. Just came back from Bridgend and it did 38mpg with 2 passengers and bits in the boot. Driving 100 miles tomorrow so I'll see what MPG it does then. It depends how long it takes to sort but I may be a doubt for track time at Combe. I'd still go on the stand but just watch. Not set in stone yet though so I won't offer my slot until the last possible moment because I still want to do it.

Fed up is an understatement but by the sound of it it's the first one they've had. Did laugh to myself though that they had an advert for Mobil1 oil on the front desk and to always keep an eye on levels. If I had known that these used as much oil as a rotary I would have bought a FD3S.

Mines done 8.5K and uses a bit, but nothing drastic. I kind of thought I was out of the woods in regards to an oil issue. But if it can develop as the miles go on, I would be worried.

Mine has done 8500 miles too, I've put 2 litres of oil in so far, so I guess that mine is ok (for now at least).

It's going for it's first service on Friday at Faintree Garage in Telford.

I've been very happy with the car so far, there are a couple of minor issues that need some attention, but otherwise all is well.

I had similar figures from new, once we go the breather fix I have only had a 200ml top up in 600 miles, (there a bouts) I found it uses much less oil now since it had a day on the track and revved hard for a while.

I also noticed that I got most usage from short journeys and least usage from long journeys.

I hope you get it sorted out, it only took the breather fix and remap for ours to be ok, I find it has more low down torque now after the remap.

Went to 15,000 today. Went in, showed them all my calculations and they agree it's too much. It's going in with them in 2 weeks time, presumably to do the breather pipe. Plus I'm getting them to sort a few other niggles too. Just came back from Bridgend and it did 38mpg with 2 passengers and bits in the boot. Driving 100 miles tomorrow so I'll see what MPG it does then. It depends how long it takes to sort but I may be a doubt for track time at Combe. I'd still go on the stand but just watch. Not set in stone yet though so I won't offer my slot until the last possible moment because I still want to do it.

Fed up is an understatement but by the sound of it it's the first one they've had. Did laugh to myself though that they had an advert for Mobil1 oil on the front desk and to always keep an eye on levels. If I had known that these used as much oil as a rotary I would have bought a FD3S.

So sorry martyn can't you just get another engine as this breather pipe mod works for awhile then uses again ( apparently )

I've been debating for a while whether it's best to sell it for something else or not. This was before the oil usage problems. All depends on where my next job is. I also want to move out and there's a decent chunk of money sitting in it should I need a deposit quickly. If the issue can be fixed then fine. Only thing that may affect my next car choice is distance to my next job. Having an interview soon in a job where it would be a 100 mile daily round trip. Not saying I'd go diesel but may have to think outside the box.

Will try to get a Yeti or a Citigo as the courtesy car. They do have a Rapid but I'm not fussed on that. A Yeti I want a go of as I can see my parents buying one in a few years

Already said I'll never go diesel again. I know the vRS has some horror stories but from what I've heard about the new TDI's with DPF and EGR faults and other things I'm not allowed to mention I'd never have one.

• Like 2

hi martynvrs, mine going in to get head lights done as well as oil consumption, when i told of the oil they didnt look surprized, o well better get it done before warranty runs out.

Already said I'll never go diesel again. I know the vRS has some horror stories but from what I've heard about the new TDI's with DPF and EGR faults and other things I'm not allowed to mention I'd never have one.

Not forgetting the minuscule fuel tank in the Mk 3 :rofl:

No problems with dpf if they've been driven properly :) also amazing mpg and low tax

Mine has done 8500 miles too, I've put 2 litres of oil in so far, so I guess that mine is ok (for now at least).

Mine has used 3 litres in 8.5K. I bought it with 2K on the clock though, so it could have used a little more than that.

50 miles one way yesterday and keeping an eye on limits and watching my throttle I did 42mpg. On the way back I took a detour through some country lanes I rarely get chance to play in and then went home. MPG dropped to 36mpg. I pulled over for a stretch and while I was there I checked my oil. Oil was spot on which I found strange as I know it needed more.

Then today on the work commute when coming up to some traffic I booted it in 6th hoping it would kick down when i noticed a puff of black smoke out the back, it dropped cogs and went. I'd never noticed it before but have noticed more coming out of the exhaust than other cars I see waiting at lights. Got to the next roundabout with a good stretch after it and let it redline through a few of the gears expecting to see more smoke but there was nothing.

Running nice and healthy when you have been pottering along and its running a little rich and nothing very hot,

you get a soot build up in the exhaust system.

Drop 2 or 3 gears and blast that out.

Nothing to do with Oil Users, just a good going Twincharger.

(black soot specs on the rear bumper is OK,

oily drops bad.)

george

That puff of black smoke fools that BMW up your jacksy into thinking he is away to take that diesel Skoda dead easy,

then usually they are no place. childish but fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Geaorge, your pipes look dirtier than mine ! ;)

Glad to see you keeping up the "childish" spirit and having fun with the motor.

Martyn, I drive like a my throttle is about to bite my foot until it gets hot and then always boot it for a short while, that's going to work (18 miles drive one way)

On my way back motor is at good temps when I get to a good stretch of an open dual carraigeway and I can redline it, even going uphil for a while. Never had and puffs of black or any other smoke coing out of the back.

Frequently repeated mantra here "A redline a day keeps mechanic away" !

• Like 1