Caliper rewind tools for the VRS

Has anybody bought from or used the below rewind tool to do the rear discs/pads on the VRS?

If so are Inka-Corp reputable and is the tool any good?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d3a8c56b8

I've looked at the Laser tools. The 3835 kit seems to fit the bill but the price is quite steep (£75 from Hal-frauds).

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255216

Whereas the cheepest Laser option is a bit pathetic looking:

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255216

Appreciate comments / experiences.

Cheers,

Simon

If u are just doing a Fabia laser tools do a single one(just noticed its the one you call pathetic that I have used) I've used it not only on vag cars but Jaguar Bmw .

Just a thought

Regards Whoosh

If u are just doing a Fabia laser tools do a single one(just noticed its the one you call pathetic that I have used) I've used it not only on vag cars but Jaguar Bmw .

Just a thought

Regards Whoosh

Cheers Whoosh, anybody else got positive experiences with the Laser single tool?

Sent using Tapatalk

I personally used a laser one that worked very well when setup properly, I think from Halfrauds but nothing like that kind of money I can assure you - closer to £20 odd I think.

1314 is stamped on the packet so maybe that's the code. You don't need anything better than the one I have used.

Edit: Indeed it is the so called "Pathetic" one you are referencing lol. Used it on 2 jobs now my car and my dads, with no sign of wear.

In fact the only difference between that and the rich mans alternative is its a pro-kit with various templates for numerous cars - other than that they look more or less identical to me. If you are planning to work on lots of cars including vintage then get that but the "puny" 1314 will otherwise do you fine lol

Google is your friend - Mr Puny is avialable for a paltry £15 delivered if you aren't in any rush to go to Halfrauds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002V72SHS/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550949469&ref=asc_df_B002V72SHS

I tend to agree with the quality of Laser Tools, ie normally no problems. I think that my one is a lot older, maybe 2002 so it is "pre" Laser Tools supplying into Halfords which makes it Sykes and Pickavant (or some thing like that), either way, these tools are handy to have as these pistons can end up sticking at times when you want to retract them.

I've got that one. I haven't done any brake work on the Fabia VRS (It's my wife's car and she prefers garage servicing!) but I have used it on my Honda S2000 and it works fine. It is well made. My only gripe is it is easy to drop the "U" shaped back plate when assembling the tool against the piston, so I sometimes find it easier just to use the tool a bit like a heavy duty screwdriver to wind the (rear) pistons back. [My front pistons on the Honda don't wind, they press back, so I just use the handle of a long spanner as a lever.]

Looking at that link to the Inka Corp toolkit though, I think that looks more versatile, so if I didn't have a tool already I'd be looking at that quite seriously!

I personally used a laser one that worked very well when setup properly, I think from Halfrauds but nothing like that kind of money I can assure you - closer to £20 odd I think.

1314 is stamped on the packet so maybe that's the code. You don't need anything better than the one I have used.

Edit: Indeed it is the so called "Pathetic" one you are referencing lol. Used it on 2 jobs now my car and my dads, with no sign of wear.

In fact the only difference between that and the rich mans alternative is its a pro-kit with various templates for numerous cars - other than that they look more or less identical to me. If you are planning to work on lots of cars including vintage then get that but the "puny" 1314 will otherwise do you fine lol

Google is your friend - Mr Puny is avialable for a paltry £15 delivered if you aren't in any rush to go to Halfrauds

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B002V72SHS

Consider it ordered, i'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Dominorising, and thanks Briskoda as always!

I've got that one. I haven't done any brake work on the Fabia VRS (It's my wife's car and she prefers garage servicing!) but I have used it on my Honda S2000 and it works fine. It is well made. My only gripe is it is easy to drop the "U" shaped back plate when assembling the tool against the piston, so I sometimes find it easier just to use the tool a bit like a heavy duty screwdriver to wind the (rear) pistons back. [My front pistons on the Honda don't wind, they press back, so I just use the handle of a long spanner as a lever.]

Looking at that link to the Inka Corp toolkit though, I think that looks more versatile, so if I didn't have a tool already I'd be looking at that quite seriously!

I tend to use that type of tool to push back front pistons as well, I think that I just reverse the single sided adaptor or stick a thin bit of hard wood in to cover the "prongs", it lets you have good control when pushing the pistons in - when I'm stuck for something to buy for my garage tool kit, I often consider the spreader tool that is available cheaply for this task - but so far that is as far as I've got.

Consider it ordered, i'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Dominorising, and thanks Briskoda as always!

One thing I've discovered about ordering Laser Tools from Halfords is, they charge full RRP and add carraige on to that - and it took about a week as my order seemed to have gone missing - of course that is not an issue if it is in stock at Halfords - that is a very good price!

Edited by rum4mo

if you go in to halfords and have or can borrow a trade card you will get a really good price ..... only thing to note which we recently found out ..... if you run the pads past the recommended wear indicator ( wasnt done on my car :) ) then the tool wouldnt fit in to the caliper

I have the cheap laser one. Works perfect on all the vag groupe cars I have had. Like Holmesie above I had a similar problem when doing my pads the other day. They were wore to the steel by the previous owner and I had trouble getting in the tool.

It's possible but you're talking about a tool that costs less than £20 and makes the job considerably easier and will last a lifetime. My local factor had the laser version on the shelf for about £18. It's done every VAG car I have owned and a few others beside. No need for anything more for non commercial use.

Edited by Avalon
  • Like 3

It's possible but you're talking about a tool that costs less than £20 and makes the job considerably easier and will last a lifetime. My local factor had the laser version on the shelf for about £18. It's done every VAG car I have owned and a few others beside. No need for anything more for non commercial use.

+1 for the amount they are you'll save yourself some grief and knuckle skin. I tried with circlip pliers and gave up and went and bought the right tool for the job. IIRC this is what I bought from Machine Mart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/040817916

Is it possible to wind the rear calipers back without one of these tools?

I used needle nosed pliers - just put the end in the groove, bit of cloth over the handle to stop it digging in and push & twist. Worked for my rear pistons

Guest BigJase88

The 'pathetic' laser one work perfectly!

I bought one for £20 years ago!

They didnt even get the packaging right

It was a caliper rewind too back in the day! No L!!